4bangen's 72 Rivi FINALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
    I stand by my original comment. If everything else is decent on the car and you want to get it on the road to enjoy, 4.8/5.3/6.0 4l60 swap with maybe a cam and be done. For fucks sake I have a TBSS cam I will bequeath to you if you go that route...
    If this motor ever goes I think it needs a 6.0 with a pair of turbos. Mainly because I like the way twins look under the hood. or I could really mess with people and do a coyote out of a ford truck. lol

I and falling for the car again because in the last 10 years or so I've seen none of them at car shows.

Comment

I'm so broke right now, even if he was giving it away I wouldn't want to spend the gas money to go get it. lol

Comment

How about instead of daydreaming about turboing some fantasy LS motor, you spend an afternoon wrenching on it and drive it to a car wash and then take your family to a car show. Maybe there's something more wrong with it than you said in the original post? Sounds like you have a good engine that needs an oil pan swapped on and then everything buttoned back up.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Damn that's a big bitch. Get busy using what ya got and get it mobile asap.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            How about instead of daydreaming about turboing some fantasy LS motor, you spend an afternoon wrenching on it and drive it to a car wash and then take your family to a car show. Maybe there's something more wrong with it than you said in the original post? Sounds like you have a good engine that needs an oil pan swapped on and then everything buttoned back up.
            only other thing wrong besides needing to pull the motor swap the pan and pick up, then finish putting it back together is my unwillingness to go out and wrench. When I get home from work I'm to worn out mentally, and my weekends are full of other stuff. I could easily move things around and get it done, if I could just motivate myself. I also would need a helper or two, seeing as I need someone to stand on the back of the hoist and hold it down, and someone to do the heavy lifting since my back is F-ed up now.
            I figure when the weather is a bit nicer, I'm going to plan a "build party" I'm going to invite all my car buddies and their families over and bust it out. Then BBQ, beer, and fun. Should be able to get it running in a day.
            Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
            Damn that's a big bitch. Get busy using what ya got and get it mobile asap.
            it's longer than my 3/4 ton van. wider too. lol

Comment

Almost actually made some progress this past weekend. We stripped the pan and oil pick up off the original engine and finally almost 15 years later dug in to find out whats actually broken. Turns out the oil pickup was plugged, as I drove home from Georgia it became starved from oil and fried the crank and main bearings. cam doesn't look bad, but the crank is toast.
              this was the worst one.

This leads us to our next problem, the oil pickup clogged so bad that it sucked the screen concave.

we decided it would be best to get a new one, but fat chance finding one at a local auto parts store. lol So that quickly brought our day to an end. I spent the rest of the day drinking rum and shopping for parts online. So Now I'm looking at a new 7qt oil pan and a new pick up tube, and thinking about headers and an intake. I think I'm really starting to love this car again, and have set a deadline of Good guys next month. we shall see if I make it or not. I'm ordering the new parts Friday. Wish me luck, I'm hoping this isn't just another false start.

I'm thinking after I finish getting it running I'm going to tear down the old motor and have the block and heads checked out, If possible I'd like to rebuild this motor and hop it up a little bit. It would be nice to have the original motor back in there.

Comment

Good deal... I'm working on replacing the water pump on the 03 Tahoe tonight. Gotta get that thing ready for whatever before I focus too much on anything else. I just haven't been motivated at ALL lately.

Maybe we need a motivation thread for working on cars, since this used to be a car forum so many lifetimes ago.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  Good deal... I'm working on replacing the water pump on the 03 Tahoe tonight. Gotta get that thing ready for whatever before I focus too much on anything else. I just haven't been motivated at ALL lately.

Maybe we need a motivation thread for working on cars, since this used to be a car forum so many lifetimes ago.
                  right! heck my Buick's been broken almost 15 years, and my Ranger sounds like it has a rod knock. Both of my toys are down.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                    So Now I'm looking at a new 7qt oil pan and a new pick up tube, and thinking about headers and an intake.
                    My brother-in-law once gave me the unforgettable counsel, "Dude, fuck that shit."

Aftermarket crap is a huge pain in the ass. From what you listed there, I see visions of the following headaches: the intake won't have a provision for the a/c brackets and the stock HEI distributor won't fit anymore; the headers will make spark plugs a bitch, will require some goofy homemade brackets just to keep a power steering pump, will rub the steering, require a bunch of shimming to keep the tubes from rubbing the frame, will drag the ground, will necessitate a mini starter and you'll have to rewire the car for THAT, and oh yeah THEN you have to rebuild the whole exhaust system. And a 7qt pan? On a 5000lb Riviera?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just put the damned thing back together with the stock junk and drive it. Turn that mod money into gas money.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      My brother-in-law once gave me the unforgettable counsel, "Dude, fuck that shit."

Aftermarket crap is a huge pain in the ass. From what you listed there, I see visions of the following headaches: the intake won't have a provision for the a/c brackets and the stock HEI distributor won't fit anymore; the headers will make spark plugs a bitch, will require some goofy homemade brackets just to keep a power steering pump, will rub the steering, require a bunch of shimming to keep the tubes from rubbing the frame, will drag the ground, will necessitate a mini starter and you'll have to rewire the car for THAT, and oh yeah THEN you have to rebuild the whole exhaust system. And a 7qt pan? On a 5000lb Riviera?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just put the damned thing back together with the stock junk and drive it. Turn that mod money into gas money.
                      What he says.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Comment

I'll agree with what the Tbird chick said.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            I concur. I don't have enough content to start a build thread. Pictures of replacing the same engine over and over would be boring for the viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              I'll agree with what the Tbird chick said.
                              Me too.

Comment

Working...
                              X