Stocks are taking a beating - Looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    TD ameritrade is pretty nice. But really any of the major online brokerages will be fine.

Definitely avoid stupid shit like Robin Hood and other free app based platforms. Robin Hood ran out of capital at least once in the last week and had to shut down for the day. They were also out for a few other high volatility days.

If I were you and I had little experience in the stock market, I would just pick a nice S&P500 tracking ETF, put it in and don't even look at it for three years. Now is not the time to educate yourself or come up with any brilliant stock picks if you are starting from nothing. If you pick the wrong stock you can easily lose your money.

Robinhood has certainly turned into a total cluster fuck.

Comment

The travel industry is taking a huge beating but will eventually bounce back after the Covid-19 panic is over.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Someone said buy gold.. Not to bad BUT......
        Gold does not take up much space silver does.

Back in the day (after the War of Northern Aggression), There was no
        hard money! Mexican coins were the "coins of the realm".
        They were heaver and had more silver than U.S. unobtainium money.

After the war when one went in with hard cash (no paper or shin plasters), one's change was made back in tokens. The tokens were good for fill in the blank.
        The tokens might be for a business up the street and you don't even need a shave.

Would you accept some kind of funny foreign silvery coin as change?
        Or, some good old US silver?

As for denominations, think of what one get back as change!
        I made a lot off the Hunt brothers and silver speculation.
        The history of early Texas and change made from metal detecting.

Comment

I accept foreign silver. Maple leafs are cheaper and have higher purity. I also like philharmonics, krugerrands, panda, brittanias.... I will take any real money.

If you are in the market this is just a temporary issue. After the Nov election this volatility will pass (or sooner) and we can ride the Trump choo choo train again. Play it long unless you have time to be a dedicated day trader. It’s back up 4% today. This panic is being taken advantage of. If you sell low, you are only robbing yourself.

Ride out the crazy. It’ll be worth it.

If you have liquid cash, hotel, airline and energy stocks will be solid buys when the insanity starts to wane.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            The travel industry is taking a huge beating but will eventually bounce back after the Covid-19 panic is over.

Agreed, but several companies are not going to survive this.

Comment

There are several travel companies and a whole lot of oil companies that probably aren't going to survive this latest downturn. Avoiding any company with a lot of debt is a solid game plan.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
              X