No announcement yet.

Color matched the SHO trim this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had chrome painted with zero issues before. Pay for quality work and get quality work. Sho looks good after the paint changes. That is how ford should have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
      How much to install Megan coil overs and camber bolts in my 2015? Also, any 4 wheel alingment shops around there?
      There are lots of 4 wheel alignment shops around. As for the coilover install and camber bolts you will be around $350.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

As far as the paint goes it was done at a pro shop that has done lots of cars for us. Common in the Lincoln Mark VIII world is to make a base model look like an LSC and we have had many many chrome parts color matched over the years and have yet to see any issues.
        With my car the surfaces were prepped, etch primer, paint primer, black basecoat, Tuxedo black basecoat and several coats of clear. All PPGs higher end stuff.
        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          Do you stand by that statement if there was good prep done (sanding / scuffing / cleaning) and using a self-etching primer (thinking diy, of course)? Difference between chrome plated plastic and actual metal? Seeking your deserved expert opinion..
          I could be wrong, but still, I advise against painting chrome, especially anything that's going to be taking on rock chips. The only time I've seen it okay without issues is when a guy had his chrome bumper sandblasted, then primed and painted. This is just my personal experience and opinion.

Comment

When the paint cures it will also be ceramic coated. Not worried about it. I have Mark VIIIs that been on the road 8 years with painted chrome grills and still have no issues. In the rock chips all I can see is primer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
              I could be wrong, but still, I advise against painting chrome, especially anything that's going to be taking on rock chips. The only time I've seen it okay without issues is when a guy had his chrome bumper sandblasted, then primed and painted. This is just my personal experience and opinion.
              I wouldn't call his plastic window trim and plastic grille chrome or chrome plated in the definition you just described.

But you're correct, chrome plated metal isn't friendly with paint

Comment

It will be sold before it has chance to chip or flake.

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                  It will be sold before it has chance to chip or flake.
                  Of all the opinions presented, this is the one I believe most!

Thanks Greg and others.. I asked for 2 reasons, I still have the Jeep emblem in chrome on my grill while everything else is muted / black. Just deciding if I want to bother painting it to save a few bucks (already have paint and all) or just ordering a replacement.

Also, we were looking at the '18 TLX and thought it would look a lot better with 'some' of the chrome body color or black (depending on location).. For that we'd pay professionals.. Just don't want something that's going to take a few pebbles and start looking like trash. Then again, if we do end up getting the TLX we're more likely to get the A-spec, and the chrome is toned down on that.

Comment

Thanks Greg and others.. I asked for 2 reasons, I still have the Jeep emblem in chrome on my grill while everything else is muted / black. Just deciding if I want to bother painting it to save a few bucks (already have paint and all) or just ordering a replacement.

Also, we were looking at the '18 TLX and thought it would look a lot better with 'some' of the chrome body color or black (depending on location).. For that we'd pay professionals.. Just don't want something that's going to take a few pebbles and start looking like trash. Then again, if we do end up getting the TLX we're more likely to get the A-spec, and the chrome is toned down on that.
                    From what I've heard plastidip is the best thing to use on grille pieces that are subjected to road debris. The rubber is more flexible to impacts.

So yeah a thick coating of dip, however I don't think they have perfected the gloss look yet

Comment

The gloss still isnt glossy and colors are limited. Thats why I am ceramic coating it. While its not perfect it will take a lot more hits before chipping.

Comment

You gonna pony up for the A-Spec?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                          You gonna pony up for the A-Spec?
                          We're considering it but may wait a year and pick up a used one with low miles.. We had the 18 SH AWD as a loaner for a few days and really liked it, except a couple of small details on the exterior.. We both really liked the A spec though.
                          Last edited by Chili; 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

We're considering it but may wait a year and pick up a used one with low miles..
                            I like the visual and performance upgrades the A-Spec gets. I just don't want to spend what they're asking for a new one. I like our 2014 TL, and it's been paid off for a couple years now, so we're gonna drive that thing until the doors/wheels fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              I like the visual and performance upgrades the A-Spec gets. I just don't want to spend what they're asking for a new one. I like our 2014 TL, and it's been paid off for a couple years now, so we're gonna drive that thing until the doors/wheels fall off.
                              Yeah, we have a 14 SH-AWD, but honestly don't like it as much as we did our 2009 SH-AWD, which we loved.. Had we not owned the 2009 first, we probably wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

For me, it's 3 main things:
                              1. The seats aren't comfortable for very long.. I mean, they're nice and I prefer the bolsters on this over the 2009, but just can't find a good seating position for longer drives. I think it's the 'depth' of the seat, but I'm not sure, but after about 30 minutes by back starts to get uncomfortable, and the longer I sit, the worse it will get. I've adjusted them every which way and still didn't help. I may try a small pillow in the lumber area to see if that helps. The 2018 seemed to be more comfortable to me (though I only drove the loaner for an hour or so).

2. The shift points and functionality on the new transmission aren't great.. It sometimes has to hunt a bit when downshifting and just doesn't seem as responsive as the 2009. ('09 was 5 speed, '14 is 6 speed auto, the 2018 is 9 Speed). We've had the dealer reflash it as updates came out (it's still under warranty) but it's still not great when driving it hard.

3. I'm just not a fan of the grill redesign.. When I first saw the 2009 grill I thought it was too much and wasn't a fan, but it grew on me. The 2014 is smaller and more subtle, but also less aggressive looking.. This is just petty though.

Comment

Looks nice... now black out those flower power wheels.

Comment

Working...
                                X