Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why should I choose Concrete over granite for my countertops?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should I choose Concrete over granite for my countertops?

The answer is not found in which material is better; rather it comes down to preference of color and design. What we do know, is that for the past 10-15 years there has been a surge in granite counter tops. When you walk into a neighbor’s house or even a relative, there is a great chance that they have granite and because of price points and quantities, the identical look you have. For some, this trend has robbed them of the individuality and style that they were intending to create in their kitchen or bathroom.
    For this reason Concrete Counter tops are gaining market space. Concrete counter tops offer a natural handcrafted look and feel which allow for a variety of colors, textures and designs. This means that you can now accentuate your room and create a theme or design that is not available on a shelf or store.
    What if my neighbor or friends try to copy me?

The makeup of a quality concrete counter top mix delivers natural variants meaning that your concrete counter tops have subtle variations in color, shade, texture and appearance that cannot be replicated. Although they may want your identical look they will only be able to achieve the basic color concept. The hues and variegated look Concrete Counter tops produce make each one a piece of art rather than a mass produced and over used depiction of what a company thinks looks good. Couple that with hundreds of colors, stains and effects and the questions is why would someone want to copy?

Today, concrete counter tops are more popular with designers, builders, and Eco-friendly customers who want a unique look for their homes and business . Concrete is most often chosen by clients because of the infinite possibilities. They want something with the durability of other things on the market, but they can’t find the color they want, the warm feel they want, or the seamless design that other products just can’t give them. We are so often used to picking the best tile or stone out of the very few samples we see on the wall of the stone shop. Concrete has no boundaries for design.

How much might I pay for concrete counter tops ? Well concrete counter tops are priced by a few options and designs ranging nationally around $65.00/ $150.00 sqft. Just like that of granite and marble premium groups rates, but with SciCrete our counter tops start at $50.00 sqft and range to $130.00 sqft . We also have a minimum of 50 sqft coverage surface . Style can range from solid intragal colors, Acid stain, granite effects, water base stains, pressed techniques, inlays, stamped surfaces and edges, and least not forgotten our favorite Eco-friendly recycled glass.

Vanity tops can be created as well from 3/4" to 6" thick
    By 22 1/2" wide. With or without integral sinks, soap dish, towel bars, our vanity's start @ $350 on up, depending on details, color, style, edges, length's.

All custom applications start at a rate of $5500.00 on up
    This can be counter tops, vanities,vertical hand carved stone , waterscapes, boulders, vertical walls, fire places,floors, outdoor kitchens,hardscapes, vertical panels, retaining walls.

Concrete counter tops care and maintenance and related FAQ's

Can I use concrete counter tops as a cutting surface?

As with marble or granite, we do not recommend cutting directly on a concrete surface, as it could result in scratches and gouges in the finish of your counter. But we can create a cutting area with in the counter tops for you to use for cutting . We call this a intragal cutting board. We can also install trivets, drain boards. Fruit bowls to your need and liking .

Can I put a hot pot directly onto a concrete counter top?

Concrete is heat-resistant but is subject to thermal shock if a red-hot object is placed directly upon it. Like granite, the exposed area may flake or chip away if too much heat is applied. In addition, the heat could damage the sealer and wax applied to the surface. This is where integrating trivets into the countertop can be very useful.

Is the surface of a concrete countertop safe for food preparation?

Yes, there are sealants that can be applied that have FDA approval.

Do concrete countertops stain?

Concrete has approximately the same porosity as marble. Acids (especially red wine, lemon juice, and vinegar) can etch the surface if not cleaned up right away. Keeping your counter properly maintained will help resist stains, but they aren’t acid-proof and won’t make your counter impervious to stains. Luckily, like aged butcher block or marble, a patina on concrete countertops can actually enhance the character of the surface, so a spill is not necessarily a disaster.

How do I clean concrete countertops?

Washing your countertop with mild soap and water is the best method of cleaning. Be wary of cleansers and abrasive pads as they may have solvents and abrasives that can harm, scratch, or etch the surface of your countertop.

What sort of routine maintenance is required to keep a nice finish on my concrete countertop? How often do I re-apply the finishing wax?

Ideally, for maximum protection and beauty, we recommend that wax be reapplied every month. With each coat of wax, your countertop will develop a naturally hard, protective coating to help repel against staining as well as remove fingerprints and add a lustrous sheen. Realistically, many owners only wax there countertops once a year or less, and some never do at all. Without upkeep and maintenance, your countertop will patina and stain but this is only cosmetic and will not affect the durability of your countertop. As long as you like the aesthetics of your countertop, the countertop itself can be virtually maintenance-free and provide many years of enjoyment.

How much do SciCrete countertops weigh per foot ? and what is the PSI rating of my countertops.

Our system is design using Pre-cast GFRC so we can go as thin as a 1/4" to as thick as you like , but national standard is about 1 1/2" thick . Unless it cast in place and that ranges about 2" thick. We don't use passive reinforcement to cast our countertops
    Rebar in general, we use AR Glass fibers and AR scrim netting , graded sand , filler, white cement , high range water reducer's. And a few other spices into the mix to give it's strength .

With it's compressive and tensile strengths ranging from 8,000 / 12,000 psi compared to granite rating at 6500 psi on standard grade granite
    And weighing in at only 12 pounds a sft at 1 1/2" standard. Who wouldn't want to save their back. So the choice should be obvious concrete counter tops are a the way to go.

We hope we have enlighten your mind with the basic knowledge of having your own SciCrete Counter tops and decorative needs in your home today .

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Bump
        You so nice.

Comment

Working...
        X