Wheel bearing/hub 2014 f150? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing/hub 2014 f150? Help!

I’ve got a low pitched growl/grinding sound when I’m making slow turns. I assume it’s the wheel bearings. It appears the entire hub must be replaced. They run anywhere from 150-250 per side will moot/ timken be just as good as the motor craft?? Any tips? 2014 f150 fx2 supercrew.

God bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Motorcraft doesn't make their own bearings, frequently they come from Timken, NTN, or Bower/National. Do your shopping on RockAuto and even the most expensive one they have isn't that much. Typically when I'm replacing hubs I do both sides at the same time to avoid headache in the future. If you have a four-wheel drive the torque spec on the nut through the Hub is pretty high and it's also very important. If you need a torque wrench that will read High I've got one to lend you.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      Motorcraft doesn't make their own bearings, frequently they come from Timken, NTN, or Bower/National. Do your shopping on RockAuto and even the most expensive one they have isn't that much. Typically when I'm replacing hubs I do both sides at the same time to avoid headache in the future. If you have a four-wheel drive the torque spec on the nut through the Hub is pretty high and it's also very important. If you need a torque wrench that will read High I've got one to lend you.
      The axle but on a f150 is tiny. Takes a 13mm socket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

how can i be sure its the wheel bearings?? i'd rather not drop $500 and it not solve my issue

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

You might go to f150forum and check some threads. I have a 08 and did the centric conversion, which uses 4 wheel drive replaceable rotors. I'm guessing it would work on your generation, but not sure. I bought the conversion kit on Amazon.

Edit- won't work on your year, just checked.
          Last edited by johnboy; 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
            The axle but on a f150 is tiny. Takes a 13mm socket.

I was talking about the bolt going through the center of the Hub that is the axle if the truck was a four-wheel drive. Not the bolts that hold the Hub to the steering knuckle.

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            how can i be sure its the wheel bearings?? i'd rather not drop $500 and it not solve my issue

god bless.
            Jack up that corner where the wheels off the ground and try to turn the wheel listening for any grinding and shake the wheel to see if there's any movement. A lot of times on failed hubs you will see rust on the side of the bearing as well. Don't you live in Carrollton? I'd be happy to swing by and show you what needs to be done.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

god bless.
              Paul, if you jack it up, grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom with the other and rock it back and forth, if there’s a lot of play. That’s the issue
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Also I 2nd checking rockauto for the parts.. I just did an intake manifold on the wife’s explorer and it was about $150 cheaper for the exact same part # from autozone
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

14 and it needs wheel bearings ? Kinda weird

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    I was talking about the bolt going through the center of the Hub that is the axle if the truck was a four-wheel drive. Not the bolts that hold the Hub to the steering knuckle.

Jack up that corner where the wheels off the ground and try to turn the wheel listening for any grinding and shake the wheel to see if there's any movement. A lot of times on failed hubs you will see rust on the side of the bearing as well. Don't you live in Carrollton? I'd be happy to swing by and show you what needs to be done.
                    Me too. 13mm socket. 20ft lb tq.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                      Me too. 13mm socket. 20ft lb tq.

I'll be damned; never seen that before.

Comment

I assume I should buy the $200 each Moog wheel hub/ bearings vs the Detroit Axle both sides for $169?? Amazon reviews for the DEtroit’s look ok. Thanks gents!

God bless.

Comment

Moog is good quality. I have never heard of the other company.

Comment

I assume I should buy the $200 each Moog wheel hub/ bearings vs the Detroit Axle both sides for $169?? Amazon reviews for the DEtroit’s look ok. Thanks gents!

God bless.
                            I’d go with moog bruh
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Get the cheapest you can find, then trade that ho in

Comment

Working...
                              X