Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
    Does the car have fog lights?
    Not sure if it had them originally, but there are none on it now.

Comment

Probably a GTS.

Comment

Probably a GTS.
        It's not. I know for sure it has ABS, I turned the front rotors last weekend.

Comment

Here's a pic of my boy helping me with a brake job, makes me proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
            I was a dealership wrench when those cars were new...
            Good person to ask... what are the main issues that plague these cars? The typical factory defects.

Also to OP:

Lower it! If its already lowered... lower it more!
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
              It's not. I know for sure it has ABS, I turned the front rotors last weekend.
              I've never heard that one.

Comment

I've never heard that one.
                Google told me the surefire way to tell if a car is a GTS or not is by ABS. ABS was not an option on GTS models. My car also has power windows, and most GTS cars don't (but it was an option).

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Good person to ask... what are the main issues that plague these cars? The typical factory defects.
                  I was in a non-team dealership around that time, specialized in AC/Electrical and Suspension/Chasis, so most of my experience was in those areas but often got Mustang tickets dispatched to me outside of my specialty b/c I was one of the "Mustang Guys" in the shop.

Here's some of the things I can remember off hand....

- Vacuum problems causing AC to only blow out the dash - most often the vacuum tube that runs from the engine compartment thru the firewall. the switched to an electric blend door actuator somewhere around 98' or maybe with the new edge in 99'.

- Fan will only work on high setting - Blower motor resistor

- Door lock actuators

- Window motors

- Power seat motors (and the connecting shaft)...especially if the driver was portly.

- Cruise control - most common issues in the harness under the tunnel, and usually the pins in the plug itself. Also fairly common to see a bad VSS (I often changed both regardless to cover my ass, and also to flag the extra ~3-tenths ). I also recall putting several clock springs in to solve this problem and/or inop horn.

- Temp gauge - a lot of them read inaccurately, and it never seemed that no 2 were a like. I remember replacing a lot of those. I had an aftermarket gauge that I kept in my toobox, I would use it and re-index the needle on the new gauge to the low side of "normal" when the car was at 180-190.

- AC Field coil - Most of the cars out there now have probably had those changed by now, they went to a new style around 96-97. They would over heat and cause the clutch to disengage.

- AC Condenser - Most out there have probably had those done as well, they had a TSB on the 94-95 models that changed to different style because of leaks.

- Radiator - also had a TSB at one time due to the tanks leaking.

- Odor from the AC and/or water on the passenger floor...saw a lot of them with a plugged up drain that would cause this one. Ford actually released their own in-house aerosol deodorant to treat the evap box with on several cars back then.

- There were also some cooling problems in the early 4.6 cars that had a TSB on the radiator.

- Silver and White cars had problems with paint peeling early-on. That's why you see a lot of those with repaints by now.

Overall they were actually pretty good cars...I don't really remember anything common that was catastrophic until they started getting the 4.6's, but still decent as long as they were maintained like they were supposed to be. Regardless of drivetrain they were all "RS" Edition in stock form (Real Slow)
                  70' Chevelle RagTop
                  (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Thanks! I'll be saving that post. OP may benefit from it as well.

How about the PCV system? Or whatever you may choose to call it. Crank case pressure bleed off.
                    WH

Comment

Now that they are getting up there in age, I've seen some ECM issues and CCRM issues. The way the window glass was adhered to the tabs that bolt into the regulator doesnt seem to last, they are all pulling off.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                        Google told me the surefire way to tell if a car is a GTS or not is by ABS. ABS was not an option on GTS models. My car also has power windows, and most GTS cars don't (but it was an option).
                        Odd, the 95 GTS I had and promptly got rid of had power windows/door locks and abs.

Comment

Odd, the 95 GTS I had and promptly got rid of had power windows/door locks and abs.
                          Here's my sources, they could be wrong.

I have a 95 and the title says GTS and I seen in the summit magazine a part for gt and gts what is the difference.

Comment

X2 my old 95 was titled as a gts, it has power everything along with abs, which I deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              Now that they are getting up there in age, I've seen some ECM issues and CCRM issues. The way the window glass was adhered to the tabs that bolt into the regulator doesnt seem to last, they are all pulling off.
                              I don't like the way the windows become "floppy" after a while. When everything is the way it should be, they're stiff. Then after many years, they'll go side to side all shitty like.
                              WH

Comment

Reglue the glass and retighten the mounts and they will get better. Also don't be a fucking goon and shut the door with the glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X