No announcement yet.

What I have been working on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, it wouldn't be overkill unless I could measure fuel temperature. Drill, tap and threaded in $8 sensor.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• And we have a welded down pipe.

Little bit of gap

Not bad for first time in 25 years.

Knocked down. I may go back and weld up the low spots then sand then down again.

The making of my welding cart.
      Pic coming

Comment

• Welding that stuff is fun isnt it. I really want to invest in a tig machine.

My theory is wrap it and tell everyone there are stacked dimes under there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          Welding that stuff is fun isnt it. I really want to invest in a tig machine.

I took my shit to see Brooks tonight when I dropped off some stuff for him to machine down. He schooled me. I should have held up on welding it myself until after the lesson but too late now. Of course he makes it look easy and like art.

I need more heat and way less wire speed. But I am glad I bought it and can learn on it.

I am wrapping too. And not even wasting time on the welds that go behind the block. Just grinding down what I already did took me through a few batteries on my cordless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            Welding that stuff is fun isnt it. I really want to invest in a tig machine.

Exactly, then delete the pics in the build thread and throw a close up of Brooks' work in there.

Comment

• Didn't read all the posts but what about using an innovator's west balancer with the built in magnets? Might save you a lot of work on the spacing of accessory drives.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Didn't read all the posts but what about using an innovator's west balancer with the built in magnets? Might save you a lot of work on the spacing of accessory drives.
                It uses 4 reference points for the sensor and a magnetic sensor. Magnetic is more susceptible to noise. The 36 wheel and hall-effect will give me less trouble and better crank position resolution.

Moving accessories is not that bad when put into perspective of the rest of this snowball.

Brooks is cutting down my spacers this week actually.

Comment

• Coming together. A bunch of work in the past week; none of which is sexy or photo worthy. But here she is.

I need more of the lava wrap to finish wrapping the intercooler.

Need the v-band flange to adapt a 4" to 3.5" and then I can finish the down pipe.
                  Last edited by KBScobravert; 11-05-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• damn thing looks like a fucking nasa space ship! I love it!

Comment

• Man, the amount of customization is awesome.
                      Originally posted by stevo
                      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
                        damn thing looks like a fucking nasa space ship! I love it!
                        Hopefully the bumper cover and fenders hide it all. Spoiler alert - it does, I tested them.
                        Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                        Man, the amount of customization is awesome.
                        Thanks. It seems the further I get, the more I realize anything I buy still has to be redone to fit this weird combination.

I got the accessory brackets spaced out tonight and have most of the bolts after moving everything forward .900". Everything looks to be lined up and clearing. Tomorrow I get the crank spacer cut and can bolt all the trigger wheel together. Then comes the belt for the last time and so on and so forth.

Comment

• Yesterday's work.
                          We got the water pump spacer cut down and bolted up. Crank spacer gets done tonight along with real spacers. For test purposes I just stacked washers and made slugs out of them.

I wrapped the intercooler with lava mat. The initial plan was too wrap just the bottom where the radiator exhaust would run into. Then I liked the look too much and promptly ran out of mat. So I put more on order today to wrap the rest of it. It will tie in with the titanium wrap on the turbo and DP and maybe the rest of the exhaust when I ever take it off.

A lot of other less than sexy or non-photo worthy work has been done too. A little here and a little there, eventually it will drive out of the garage again.

For now how she sits.

I am going to flip the valve covers now that I have the room to spare behind the alternator. This will allow me to put the fill and vents to the front....what I should have done to start with. That and I need to pull them to take the coil stands off. I hope I can get them smooth enough again. Powder coating is probably going to be pretty thick to lay smooth across the top.

Looks like it is all gonna line up. I dodged a bullet with where the air temp is next to the idler pulley. I can clock that tube a little but not much before the BOV hits the hood vent. The sensor clears though the way it is.

You can see my makeshift spacers. Sure does give me more room at the back of the power steering pump and the #5 primary tube.

Comment

• And today. So close
                            Flange adapter (3"-4") came in so I was able to cut the down pipe to length. I need a male 4" flange but should have it in a few days. Right now I am using the only loose one I had (female). It is just not welded in.

Got the rest of the charge pipes in last night and got them on the car. Installed the dome sensor for turbo and plumbed the boost control solenoids and waste gate lines...for now. On board air coming to power the boost control later down the road.

Flipped the valve covers and knocked the bungs down on one of them. Still a lot more sanding to get them flush to the covers again.

That is it for now. Still need to locate the valve cover vent canisters, oil/vapor seperater and the electric vacuum pump. Then the bumper cover can go back on. But in all reality, it might stay off until I can start the car and tune it. Just in case.

Comment

• Shifted gears. Got the car roughly 20" off the ground and back up on my wooden cribs. Prepped to do the exhaust, but waiting on a box from FedEx to start.

So spent time on the battery cables. Flaming River keyed battery cut off.

Couple fuse holders and wiring in the deck lid.

New box in and all the cable lugs are on. There is a 200 amp breaker on the blue cable (alternator charge cable) up front and on the back side of the box. Just need to finish up.
                              Last edited by KBScobravert; 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Damn that looks good!

Thanks for all the tech advise too! I appreciate it
                                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                                X