Plasma Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Cutters

I'm looking for a plasma cutter for a small CNC plasma table...and I keep bouncing between a hypertherm or Hobart. The Hobart will save me enough to pick up a new Mig, but I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference to warrant the price of the hypertherm.

Does anyone have experience with 30-45 amp plasma cutter?

I will likely never exceed 1/4th of an inch material thickness.

Cant speak for the Hobart. We have a LoneStar cutting solutions table at work. It has the Hypertherm unit. It never misses. Ive cut some stuff 3/8" with no issues. We run it a lot.

Comment

I run a Hobart unit, never missed a beat. I did all my subframe and crossmembers out of 1/4" and it cut like butter. I have cut 1/2" although it had a few restarts.

Comment

Unless you plan on using it for extended periods of time, i'd save money and get the Hobart.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like both options will work so I'll go the cheaper route. Gotta upgrade my compressor as well.

If I use this thing enough I'm sure ill upgrade at some point anyways.

Comment

When I set mine up everyone said over and over again to make sure the air was dry coming into the plasma. I ran the typical two stage filter/dryer at directly at the compressor and then one of these down the line https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...SABEgKXOfD_BwE

Comment

Robert is correct, I was about to say the same thing and be sure to have a nice sized compressor too, and nice dryer set up. Hobart makes a nice product, I had a Hobart and it worked flawless for the entire time I had it, I only sold cause I upgraded to a Snap-On.

BTW, my buddy was telling me he bought a Hobart PC from Northern I believe and said it was under $1k and had a built in compressor and was enough to do most everything he needed it to do. He works at a body shop but does side work at home and needed a small PC for his shop at home..
              Last edited by Rick Modena; 09-14-2020, 05:22 PM.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                When I set mine up everyone said over and over again to make sure the air was dry coming into the plasma. I ran the typical two stage filter/dryer at directly at the compressor and then one of these down the line https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...SABEgKXOfD_BwE
                Thanks for the tip...I'll definitely make sure to include this in the mix.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                I only sold cause I upgraded to a Snap-On.
                Damn...Im not choo choo rich yet. Who makes the Snap On units?
                Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 09-14-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Regarding the plasma cutters with the onboard compressor, they're just too limited for material thickness and feed rate. Since I'll be using this on a small CNC, I'm wanting faster cut speeds and longer duty cycles.

It would be kick ass to not have to put together a big compressor/dryer/filter setup though. Im sure by the time I get all this hardware in...itll be on the market and my shit will be obsolete...lol

Comment

After buying the pneumatic setup for this fucker...I sure as shit wish I had the option to go with an internal compressor now.

Gonna need to make a lot of rusted Steel planters, smokers and fire pits to convince myself this thing was worth it...lol

Comment

Working...
                    X