Any 70’s Datsun Z experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 70’s Datsun Z experts here?

I have a line on a real barn find. 1978 280Z, manual, stored for the last 20 years, no rust. Interior looks great. Paint is ok, some ugly spots but not dented up. What are these worth?

Always liked those cars, but thought I wouldn’t fit in one. Turns out this is a rare old Japanese car that’ll fit 6’3” just fine.

Talk me into/out of this.

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    I have a line on a real barn find. 1978 280Z, manual, stored for the last 20 years, no rust. Interior looks great. Paint is ok, some ugly spots but not dented up. What are these worth?

Always liked those cars, but thought I wouldn’t fit in one. Turns out this is a rare old Japanese car that’ll fit 6’3” just fine.

Talk me into/out of this.
    Do it they’re fucking sweet! Probably the coolest import of that era
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Fuckin do it, man! Love me some Z car.

I've wanted one every since this came out way back when.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Hahah, I agree. They’re really cool. Kind of the Mustang of Japanese cars in their day. Just trying to be smart about it. I think I could pick it up for under $3k, I’m just concerned that it would take another $3k and a lot of work to turn it into a $5k car, lol.

Comment

Hahah, I agree. They’re really cool. Kind of the Mustang of Japanese cars in their day. Just trying to be smart about it. I think I could pick it up for under $3k, I’m just concerned that it would take another $3k and a lot of work to turn it into a $5k car, lol.
          Gonna take more than 3k to ls swap the fuck out of it!!
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            Gonna take more than 3k to ls swap the fuck out of it!!
            Lol, that’s the thing, isn’t it? Knock those malaise era bumpers off, slap on some fender flares and LS swap it. So many fun ideas, so little time.

Comment

is it a turbo car?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                is it a turbo car?
                Could be a ls turbo!
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                  is it a turbo car?
                  Not yet, lol.

Comment

I'm no expert but I have been following the market on them as I want to get one. Under 3k for a basket case car with little to no rust would be good if it is mostly complete.

I am seeing rusty rollers listed for 2500 and under, complete cars not running 2000-4000 and running but rough 4-7k and nicer ones going 7 all the way to as high as low 20s if very complete and original on the earlier years. The production numbers are lower on the earlier models and they had more of the Japanese style in regards to bumpers, mirrors, and accessories so they seem to pull more money.

They are very prone to rust from what I've seen and I have no idea or care what parts go for as I want to make a race car out of one. Would love to find a trade for my Garage shelf for one.
                    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

CyaNide threw an aluminum headed 350 into one in the mid/late 90's and it was scary fast AF for those days when he stood on the loud pedal. And yes, I actually fit in it, though the door window frames were a little high for my tastes. Minor complaint. Buy it. LSx swap it. Slay all.

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post
                        I'm no expert but I have been following the market on them as I want to get one. Under 3k for a basket case car with little to no rust would be good if it is mostly complete.

I am seeing rusty rollers listed for 2500 and under, complete cars not running 2000-4000 and running but rough 4-7k and nicer ones going 7 all the way to as high as low 20s if very complete and original on the earlier years. The production numbers are lower on the earlier models and they had more of the Japanese style in regards to bumpers, mirrors, and accessories so they seem to pull more money.

They are very prone to rust from what I've seen and I have no idea or care what parts go for as I want to make a race car out of one. Would love to find a trade for my Garage shelf for one.
                        I don’t know about garage shelf, but I may be able to connect you with this one if you’re interested.

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        CyaNide threw an aluminum headed 350 into one in the mid/late 90's and it was scary fast AF for those days when he stood on the loud pedal. And yes, I actually fit in it, though the door window frames were a little high for my tastes. Minor complaint. Buy it. LSx swap it. Slay all.
                        I’m thinking I have my hands full with 60’s Mustangs at the moment, but I’m very tempted. They’re just so cool.

Comment

I’m thinking I have my hands full with 60’s Mustangs at the moment, but I’m very tempted. They’re just so cool.
                          Definitely one of the coolest cars to come from the East in the 70's. They just look like rockets once the crappy ass US bumpers are removed. Buy it and sit on it until you're done with the father/daughter resto. It isn't like they're losing value.

Comment

I don’t know about garage shelf, but I may be able to connect you with this one if you’re interested.
                            Would love to but I'd have to get rid of one before getting another...
                            1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                            1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                            2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

I have almost bought a 240z on multiple occasions. I do dig those cars, which I think is a 280 minus the bumpers and maybe a different something or other? I think a LS car would be spectacular. Also equally as tempting a Silver Turbo TA with a LS twin turbo. I think my swapping shit days are over though.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X