DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Home Improvement and Media

Home Improvement and Media Post up any home improvement, home audio, gardening, anything related to your house in here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member

Default Suggestions for a cabin

Hey fellas,

So I finally bought a 1 acre property near Breckenridge, CO. It got it for $17500, which nearly $15000 cheaper than the other acre I was looking at just a few hundred feet away.

Anyways, I'm in the planning phase of putting up a small cabin. By small, I mean ~1000 sq ft. A little larger or a little less is fine. I'm looking at different building options. One requirement I have is that the basement must be a garage with the cabin on top. I'm looking at log cabins, Timber Frame, Pole Barn (which would be two story but no basement garage), A frame, etc., etc., etc. i'm pretty open minded.

I've got ~$90K in cash to do this but I figure I'll finance it and keep the cash invested. I'm looking to do this for $150K or less.

So I was wondering what experiences some of you have had in building a cabin or getting one built. What are the pros/cons for the various building types. Is there something out of left field I should be considering?

One BIG positive in doing this. My new neighbor just sold his small cabin for $300K. He had multiple offers and sold it in two days. So I've got built in equity. However, long term, I look at this as a place to retire or a bug out location. I'll also be renting it as an AirBnB when I'm not using it since it's only 20 minutes from the slopes..
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote