Billet lower issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet lower issue

I touched on this in my looking for parts thread.

I decided to build out one of the lower receivers I had in the safe. I had a neighbor sell me a SWAT firearms billet upper and received set several years ago and decided that would be what I built.

When I went to thread the buffer tube on, it was a no go. 1-1 1/4 turns and it was near impossible to thread any more. I tested the tube on the other lowers I had and all were fine. I ordered another tube and still the same issue. It looks like I will need to have the threads on the received re-tapped.

Anyone here that has the correct tap?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I've never had that issue... I do have a tap and die set but have no idea if I have the right one. Do you know the proper size and I'll check my kits?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
      I've never had that issue... I do have a tap and die set but have no idea if I have the right one. Do you know the proper size and I'll check my kits?
      I believe it should be 1 3/16" 16TPI

Comment

Is it different for civilian or milspec?

Comment

my bad man, I forgot to look... I'll check later or tomorrow if I don't get time tonight
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I'm not sure what the upper was machined to. The buffer is mil spec

Comment

Quick google.
              6061 aliminum instead of 7075, several batches of uppers had to go back because of dimensional issues, poorly designed and thought out bolt catch pin, and even though it's billet they lack any of the features one would expect to see from billet. They were one of hundreds that started pumping stuff our after sandyhpok, and with prices so low, I would buy something from a more established vender. Hell I think with current discounts you can buy a Daniel defense for less than the SWAT rifles. I have two of their receiver sets by the way. They are sitting inbuilt in the safe after I had to send back one of the uppers

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                Quick google.
                6061 aliminum instead of 7075, several batches of uppers had to go back because of dimensional issues, poorly designed and thought out bolt catch pin, and even though it's billet they lack any of the features one would expect to see from billet. They were one of hundreds that started pumping stuff our after sandyhpok, and with prices so low, I would buy something from a more established vender. Hell I think with current discounts you can buy a Daniel defense for less than the SWAT rifles. I have two of their receiver sets by the way. They are sitting inbuilt in the safe after I had to send back one of the uppers
                I did some quick searches when I first had the issue. I found a couple of threads on arfcom that was about all. Granted, I didn't dig far. Sounds like I'll be leaving these in the safe and be thankful I only dropped $100 on the combo.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  I did some quick searches when I first had the issue. I found a couple of threads on arfcom that was about all. Granted, I didn't dig far. Sounds like I'll be leaving these in the safe and be thankful I only dropped $100 on the combo.

I bought a cheapo polly lower during that madness. I had to sand / drimel just about every hole to get things to fit. I was putting in the selector detent and it fucking cracked right down the side.

Point being, you can chalk it up as a loss or throw a rage induced fit like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    I bought a cheapo polly lower during that madness. I had to sand / drimel just about every hole to get things to fit. I was putting in the selector detent and it fucking cracked right down the side.

Point being, you can chalk it up as a loss or throw a rage induced fit like I did.
                    Lol. I've had half a mi d to say fuck it and see if I can force it with a strap wrench.

I've got a thread in the build forum where I worked over a New frontier poly lower to assemble it.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      Lol. I've had half a mi d to say fuck it and see if I can force it with a strap wrench.

I've got a thread in the build forum where I worked over a New frontier poly lower to assemble it.

That's what that mother fucker was. I couldn't remember. Was there a group buy here?

Comment

Not that I remember. I bought it to test

Comment

Working...
                        X