Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a cabin

Hey fellas,

So I finally bought a 1 acre property near Breckenridge, CO. It got it for $17500, which nearly $15000 cheaper than the other acre I was looking at just a few hundred feet away.

Anyways, I'm in the planning phase of putting up a small cabin. By small, I mean ~1000 sq ft. A little larger or a little less is fine. I'm looking at different building options. One requirement I have is that the basement must be a garage with the cabin on top. I'm looking at log cabins, Timber Frame, Pole Barn (which would be two story but no basement garage), A frame, etc., etc., etc. i'm pretty open minded.

I've got ~$90K in cash to do this but I figure I'll finance it and keep the cash invested. I'm looking to do this for $150K or less.

So I was wondering what experiences some of you have had in building a cabin or getting one built. What are the pros/cons for the various building types. Is there something out of left field I should be considering?

One BIG positive in doing this. My new neighbor just sold his small cabin for $300K. He had multiple offers and sold it in two days. So I've got built in equity. However, long term, I look at this as a place to retire or a bug out location. I'll also be renting it as an AirBnB when I'm not using it since it's only 20 minutes from the slopes..

Maybe check out some of the online house plan outlets. I'm sure there are plenty of sites where you can look at different cabin designs to generate more ideas.

Comment

I would build it so that it is modular should you ever want to add-on. By that, I mean make it so that it's easy to tie plumbing and electrical to the first part you build. Are you going to do the work?

Designing something stick framed wouldn't be that hard. Doors and windows have standard sizes, and joist spans are easily picked up from tables in the code. You have lots of options.

Comment

Pure Living for Life youtube channel did a ton of videos on building their timber framed SIP panel house up in Idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
          Pure Living for Life youtube channel did a ton of videos on building their timber framed SIP panel house up in Idaho.
          Thanks.. looking at a video now.

Comment

Sooo, and update...

Remember, I bought this 1 acre property for $17500. I just flipped it for $71000!!
            Not a bad day.. The back yard neighbor bought it to preserve her magnificent view of the mountains. I don't blame her at all. Especially when her desires make me a little richer. haha...

Anyways, we were looking to sell it because we couldn't get any contractors. Everyone is busy as hell. Just clearing the land for a driveway and cabin was going to cost me $20K. Also, the land values are basically in a bubble so I won't be surprised if prices collapse again. If they do, I'll buy another property. For now I'll put this cash in my other investments.

Here's the property:

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              Sooo, and update...

Remember, I bought this 1 acre property for $17500. I just flipped it for $71000!!
              Not a bad day.. The back yard neighbor bought it to preserve her magnificent view of the mountains. I don't blame her at all. Especially when her desires make me a little richer. haha...

Anyways, we were looking to sell it because we couldn't get any contractors. Everyone is busy as hell. Just clearing the land for a driveway and cabin was going to cost me $20K. Also, the land values are basically in a bubble so I won't be surprised if prices collapse again. If they do, I'll buy another property. For now I'll put this cash in my other investments.

Here's the property:
              https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...45145742_zpid/
              Well played. You can afford to buy a bitcoin or two.

Comment

Man, I can't help with your specific request, but you reignited something in me.
                My wife and I have talked about building a fire lookout style house in the mountains (Nevada?). We have 9 yrs to go on a business franchise contract here in TX so we couldn't permanently move for a while, but...
                This one is in Whitefish, MT

Last edited by Strychnine; 05-05-2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  Sooo, and update...

Damn! NICE!!!

Things are crazy almost everywhere, but especially in Colorado. We just had our house in Lake City appraised and it came in at exactly double what we paid for it less than 7 years ago.

We're looking at buying a second home back in Texas in the not-so-distant future, so I'm definitely watching for the bubble to burst.

Comment

Working...
                  X