X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov shutdown 20JAN18

Trump tweets on shutdown, says Democrats wanted to give him "nice present"

Meanwhile, no one moved forward on this:

A bill to appropriate such funds as may be necessary to ensure that members of the Armed Forces, including reserve components thereof, and supporting civilian and contractor personnel continue to receive pay and allowances for active service performed when a funding gap caused by the failure to enact interim or full-year appropriations for the Armed Forces occurs, which results in the furlough of non-emergency personnel and the curtailment of Government activities and services.

From the Congressional Record, Volume 163 (2017)

------------------------------------------------------
    S. 871--A bill to appropriate such funds as may be necessary to ensure
    that members of the Armed Forces, including reserve components
    thereof, and supporting civilian and contractor personnel continue
    to receive pay and allowances for active service performed when a
    funding gap caused by the failure to enact interim or full-year
    appropriations for the Armed Forces occurs, which results in the
    furlough of non-emergency personnel and the curtailment of
    Government activities and services; to the Committee on
    Appropriations.

By Mr. HELLER, S2424 [4AP]

Comment

Great distraction from the FISA report.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Senator McConnell Objects to Military Pay Protection

Comment

One of the things that I’ve learned since I’ve been in this office is that — there’s no other way to describe it — but the Obama administration weaponized the shutdown in 2013. What they didn’t tell you was that they did not encourage agencies to use carry forward funds, funds that they were sitting on, nor did they encourage agencies to use transfer authority.

They could have made the shutdown in 2013 much less impactful, but they chose to make it worse. The only conclusion I can draw is they did so for political purposes.

DIRECTOR MULVANEY: Sure, a couple different things. And again, OMB is responsible for, sort of, managing the lapse, managing the shutdown. The military will still go to work. They will not get paid. The border will still be patrolled. They will not get paid. Folks will still be fighting the fires out West. They will not get paid. The parks will be open. People won’t get paid. You can see the whole list.

There will be a bunch of different things — when you see, compared to 2013 — but don’t lose sight of the fact that we’re asking the military to work without pay. We’re asking firefighters to work without pay. It’s still harming the people —

Q But what’s different?

DIRECTOR MULVANEY: What’s different? It’s different. Parks will be open this time, and they weren’t before. Let’s go down the list. The parks will be open. The way it works is that the parks are open, but the — especially if the services are provided by third parties, but things like the trash won’t get picked up. Fannie and Freddie will be open. The Post Office will be open. The TSA will be open.

But again, all of these people will be working for nothing, which is simply not fair. We are going to manage the shutdown differently. We are not going to weaponize it. We’re not going to try and hurt people, especially people who happen to work for this federal government. But we still need Congress to appropriate the funds.

Look, that’s all the time we had set. We’re supposed to go — at 11:30 a.m. We’ll be doing this again. So, anyway, thanks very much.

Comment

The ones fucked the worse are lower ranking military that often don’t have savings for shit. Neither of mine saved their recruiting bonus, and mostly live paycheck to paycheck. Civilian gov employees are not guaranteed to be back paid, but always have been so far

Please remember shit like this the next election, and vote based on info, not the bias and propaganda we see on MSM.

Politicians suck.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
              The ones fucked the worse are lower ranking military that often don’t have savings for shit. Neither of mine saved their recruiting bonus, and mostly live paycheck to paycheck. Civilian gov employees are not guaranteed to be back paid, but always have been so far

Please remember shit like this the next election, and vote based on info, not the bias and propaganda we see on MSM.

Politicians suck.
              Live check to check is part of the joy of being lower enlisted! It's just money.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Schumer caving makes this look like it was 100% the fault of the Democrats.

Comment

some research and history on LBJ makes all this make sense . the 50 years of the black vote has run out and now they must replace them with a new dependent class . california is way ahead on this . even some of my democrat friends are starting to freak out .

Comment

Stepping back from the us v. them politics for a minute, a government shutdown should not be possible. If the assholes running this country can't agree on a new budget, the old budget should carry on until an agreement is reached.

Throw in some sort of clause that special elections will take place after 30 or 60 days to replace the politicians if they can't get the job done. Most of the free world considered our govt a laughing stock over the last week, more so than they usually do anyways.

Comment

“Budget” hasn’t been heard in DC in 8 years.

Folks it is seriously time, it’s overdue, for some of us citizens to drag Chuck and all his cohorts out in the street and seagoville stomp their asses. Y’all know what I’m talking about

Buncha empty suits that can’t seem to do anything but investigate each other. What have you done for me lately, eh? DIVORCE!

Comment

The senator, who has consistently opposed to deficit spending, says his bill would prevent future government shutdowns over partisan issues, allowing spending bills to be voted on separately.

Rand Paul has a bill he says will prevent future shutdowns and also address deficit spending

In the wake of the three-day government shutdown that ended Monday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced that he is introducing a bill requiring Congress to vote on spending bills individually, instead of rushing the funding of governmental entities through all in one bill.

“I’m introducing a bill to mandate that spending go through a normal appropriations process so we vote on spending individually,” Paul tweeted Tuesday. “I call my bill the Government Shutdown Prevention Act and I’m introducing it this week in the Senate because Americans deserve real spending reform.”

The senator, who has consistently opposed to deficit spending, says his bill would prevent future government shutdowns over partisan issues, allowing spending bills to be voted on separately.

“Everyone says they hate government shutdowns, but at the same time everybody says they hate spending bills where all the spending is glommed together into one gigantic bill,” Paul said in a video.

Paul pointed out that the national debt is currently over $20 trillion, adding that the deficit for the last year was almost $800 billion and is expected to reach over $1 trillion in 2018. Paul says current spending is “broken” and “out of control,” and criticized Congress for continuing to run on a short term continuing resolution.

The senator argues that the choice is not binary, neither requiring the government to shutdown in a deadlock or continue on with outrageous deficit spending. Instead, Paul’s bill would mandate that all spending go through the normal appropriations process within the twelve different units of government, all funded individually.

Prior to and during the government shutdown, Paul voted against funding the government through a temporary continuing resolution. The senator voted against the stopgap measure Congress and the president approved Monday because he says it doesn’t address reckless spending.

“What I would propose is that we spend money at the same rate we spent it last year,” Paul said before the recent shutdown. “If you do that for five years you actually balance the budget within five years.”

Paul said Tuesday that under his bill, Congressional failure to pass the individual spending bills on time would result in an automatic one percent cut in spending overall.

“Government spending would be done right… government would not shut down ever,” Paul assured. “No games, no threats, no bluster, no theater, just Congress doing its job.”

Comment

Working...
                        X