Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year ford ranger should I buy and motor choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year ford ranger should I buy and motor choice?

I've been looking at 2002-05 manual tranny's with the 3.0 v6. An automatic transmission will be fine, too. What's your thoughts?

the 4.0 liters are hard to find and the 4 cylinder is a pain in the ass to do a simple tune-up.

I have an 09, 4.0, 5 speed, 4 x4, extended cab. Just makes the cut for what I do with it. Cheap truck but good so far. Needed a new truck in 09 and it fit ok.

Bigger would have been nicer but could swing the bucks at the time.

Comment

The Mazda B3000 and 4000s are great trucks as well, Ranger in Mazda badges. They are all great trucks. The 4 cylinders are weaker and a pain in some ways but solid motors as well.

Comment

Do a Coyote swap and you will be happy.

Comment

Everyone who does meth seems to love their Ford rangers.

The explorers came with a V8. What reason is a 3.0 Geo metro of pickups better than a loaded explorer

Comment

I had a 04’ Edge with the 3.0/auto and it was a decent truck then the engine started to smoke and burned thru 1qt of oil for a tank of gas,shitty MPG (18mpg) for a little truck IMO. Then had a 03’ 4cyl/auto,(23mpg)it ran good but had problems with that bullshit electronic thermostat (stay away from BTW) and swapped to a later style non-electric and was good till the trans started acting up witch is another know issue on them. Currently have a 09’ 4cyl/5 speed and by far the best of the bunch, 26mpg but it’s no power house but does pretty damn good. Stay away from the 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
              Everyone who does meth seems to love their Ford rangers.
              Yeah what up with that.
              WH

Comment

I didn’t know the 4.0 was offered in a manual transmission. I had a 3.0 and it was a turd of an engine. Shit gas mileage also.

Comment

At this point, why? There's a 5.3-powered Chevy half ton in your price range, and it will be a way better vehicle all around.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

The timing chain cartridges on the backside of the 4L are a pain in the ass. I've always liked the 2.3L and 2.5L both the single cam and the later twin cam. I can't remember ever having a Ranger with an automatic but the damn slave cylinder in the manual transmissions die pretty regularly. The trick to making them last is to replace both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder at the same time, you also must bleed out the fluid that they come with and replace it with good quality brake fluids vs the pure acid that it comes with.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      At this point, why? There's a 5.3-powered Chevy half ton in your price range, and it will be a way better vehicle all around.
                      it's rare finding one under 200k miles and under $5,000

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                        it's rare finding one under 200k miles and under $5,000
                        Easier to find a higher mileage Tahoe

I've always hated Ford rangers, I think a Colorado is in the same price range and to me a little classier

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                          Easier to find a higher mileage Tahoe

I've always hated Ford rangers, I think a Colorado is in the same price range and to me a little classier
                          need a truck and fuck that 5 cylinder Colorado

Comment

Get the 2.0 TT diesel.

Comment

I have a 2001 Ranger with a 2.5/5 speed, that I had bought new. It’s got 220K miles and still has the original clutch and clutch master. They do have an appetite for plug wires ( on my 5th set). But other than a few wheel bearings and a new radiator - it’s given me very little trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X