About to ditch satellite ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to ditch satellite ...

I live in the boonies, BUT i have a nice internet connection. Its WAY past time to ditch DirectTV... SO, what do I need to look for in a TV to hook into the internet ? My internet router is on the TV stand in the living room . My TV's are probably 5 years old, so, will need replacing. I'd like to have a TV in the master and a guest room if possible ...
    What's my options here ?
    I expect that I will subscribe to a streaming service or two plus the MotorTRend and Espn apps..
    THANKS for helping the old guy out.

Unless you *need* to replace the TV's, you could get some Google TV doodads and call it good. Then when you actually need to replace them, then get a "smart tv" that has a good track record of updates, bug/security fixes.

Tx

Comment

get a roku or google chromecast

Comment

i'd like to do this but my internet sucks balls . dsl through my phone line . shit drops out more than dialup .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
          i'd like to do this but my internet sucks balls . dsl through my phone line . shit drops out more than dialup .
          Ionno how ya do it.

Comment

Do you have T-Mobile service coverage where you live? They have a decent home internet link to connect wi-fi devices like Roku, etc. to.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
              get a roku or google chromecast
              x2
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

High-speed internet. Available almost anywhere on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  I live in the boonies, BUT i have a nice internet connection. Its WAY past time to ditch DirectTV... SO, what do I need to look for in a TV to hook into the internet ? My internet router is on the TV stand in the living room . My TV's are probably 5 years old, so, will need replacing. I'd like to have a TV in the master and a guest room if possible ...
                  What's my options here ?
                  I expect that I will subscribe to a streaming service or two plus the MotorTRend and Espn apps..
                  THANKS for helping the old guy out.
                  Apps like Disney + and Sling offer ESPN and Sling offers MLB. Some apps offer a combo of stuff. Dont know you internet data. If its low you may want to increase to a bigger data plan and possibly a WiFi Mesh system. Stupid ATT set us up with their 2.4 ghz modem and it was suppose to be 5 ghz modem. We have been running slow internet for 2 year
                  Until we cancel our cable with them and started having issue with our internet and had to make a tick for them to come out. Haha, the tech that came out told us we did not have the correct modem. Now it's much faster and better connection.

Comment

well shit. the coop internet is fiber optic cable . i'll be too damn old by the time it gets here. plus it would be a nightmare to run through the woods .
                    looking into starlink as it is about the only option. going to run some 5g wire they gave me and relocate my router. after that it's on them to fix .

Comment

I preordered a Starlink kit in October and it arrived the first week of March. They have a pretty decent return policy, so I had a while to try it out before committing. So far I’m seeing consistent speeds of 200m down, 20m up.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                        I preordered a Starlink kit in October and it arrived the first week of March. They have a pretty decent return policy, so I had a while to try it out before committing. So far I’m seeing consistent speeds of 200m down, 20m up.
                        how much is that per month?

Comment

It just changed to $110 or $115 monthly.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                            It just changed to $110 or $115 monthly.
                            i guess if that's your only alternative to have internet then that price isn't terrible. Starlink is for people who live in the middle of no where.

Comment

Has anyone tried T-Mobile's 5G home internet? It's cheaper than AT&T's basic fiber package but the wife and I both work from home and need some steady VOIP connections. I can stream 4k video with my cell phone so I know the network has the ability, just not sure about consistent ping times.

Comment

Working...
                              X