No announcement yet.

Becoming an FFL, discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sure man, we can definitely arrange it.

Look at it this way: I have never started a business before and had no knowledge of how to do so. It was really easy and if I can do it then you definitely can.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

What fouls a lot of people is the paperwork (accounting, logging, etc) that is involved with the FFL. You have to be very detail orientated when it comes to a FFL which can be overwhelming.

Just ask red jacket about the firearms they didnt log properly

Comment

If anyone in denton with an FFL and actually plans on manufacturing, I have a pretty good location available later this year. I was going to use it as a store and shop, but I never got further pursuing it other than filling out the app. There was some hassle with school nearby, but it was later a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          For sure man, we can definitely arrange it.

Look at it this way: I have never started a business before and had no knowledge of how to do so. It was really easy and if I can do it then you definitely can.
          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            If anyone in denton with an FFL and actually plans on manufacturing, I have a pretty good location available later this year. I was going to use it as a store and shop, but I never got further pursuing it other than filling out the app. There was some hassle with school nearby, but it was later a non issue.

Getting a place is the easy part. Machines and tooling will break it off in you. Along the same lines as Davids offer I can offer expertise with machines and the associated tooling depending on the material you would like to work with. I have extensive experience machining titanium and tool steel. If I can't anwser your question I have good friends who machine for a living that can.

Comment

Back to the top. Now that I am not employed in Afghanistan it is time to put my thinking cap back on.

I am thinking of getting into the game. I have a friend and between the two of us we are looking at going 07FFL/02SOT route. Transfers, stocking dealer for suppressors & accessories, turn key suppressed combos, limited AR parts like lowers/uppers etc. Advertising member here, demo inventory and shoots for customers at Shoot Smart, table at gunshow, help setup trusts.

Lots of ideas floating around but need to get the paperwork started, tax ID started. May not order anything until SHOT Show but we want to be up and running by then.

I am not picturing making a living doing this but a side business.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Keith,
                I'm still rolling this idea around in my head for transfer only as a side business. (I need SOMETHING to do in my spare time...)

While this isn't a complete or perfectly correct list, it is something I've put together. Hope it helps in your efforts. I'll adjust my list from feedback in this thread. (Obviously, some of the items won't apply, or I've already checked off.)

Legal items
                1. Obtain CHL
                2. Obtain 07 FFL - ATF.gov
                3. Obtain Small Business License - Your County
                4. Obtain DBA - Your County
                5. Obtain NRA membership (Optional)
                6. Submit DBA proof to ATF
                7. Obtain Copy write for logo and name

Items needed
                • Attorney on retainer
                • CPA
                • Unused Company Name
                • LLC or Inc?
                • Land line for fax
                • Logo
                • Business cards
                • Web site
                • Bigger gun safe
                • Security System with video/sound
                • Bigger safe deposit box
                • Off site repository for forms. (Fire/water damage proof)
                Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Create TV show. Seriously.

Comment

I mean its cool to sell guns for a living, but considering the market right now I would think it would be very difficult to start a new business selling guns right now.

Comment

Selling new guns is tough because you can't compete with the big box stores and online shops. I have had a lot of good luck with used gun sales and simply asking friends and my dad's posse what they would like and catering to them. Also if it were not for my blog articles, it would be hard to justify my FFL. It really does help me with that side job and provide the steady stream of income as a result of that and transfers.
                      I think your suppressor sales idea is good: there's money there but be prepared to put up with Bubba pestering you for six months about his suppressor coming in!
                      Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

My cousin just got his ffl along with his license for class 3 stuff. Right now he is doing it out of his house as side income and is doing mainly transfers to slowly build the business but eventually does want to open up a physical storefront. I dont remember the exact process or how long it took him but it was pretty quick and not hard.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Selling new guns is tough because you can't compete with the big box stores and online shops. I have had a lot of good luck with used gun sales and simply asking friends and my dad's posse what they would like and catering to them. Also if it were not for my blog articles, it would be hard to justify my FFL. It really does help me with that side job and provide the steady stream of income as a result of that and transfers.
                          I think your suppressor sales idea is good: there's money there but be prepared to put up with Bubba pestering you for six months about his suppressor coming in!
                          Not sure how much I want to get into the new gun market. Maybe keep a host gun or two for 22s to sell as a turnkey combinations.

I have a few ideas to combat the "pestering" but it could never be a 100% solution.

David, no TV show. I will have to have a real job.
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

That reminds me. I need to pm phaux!

Comment

Working...
                            X