No announcement yet.

Bathroom remodels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tile is finished in the master, now onto paint, counter top, sinks, shower glass and fixtures.

Comment

Nice. I like the recessed tub. My wife found her nautical stash!

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I kinda dig the nautical stuff.

Before i met my wife, my bachelor pad apartment bathroom was in a rubber ducky theme. My now wife hated it.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Looks good! We will be starting on our Master bathroom in the next month or two, one of only two rooms in the house that hasn't had a full remodel.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

First off, everyone I know now has a bidet and have no idea how they ever lived with out them.

I don't know what the F is wrong with me. Homedepot had a sale and here we are....again. Now I am not gutting the entire thing, but the sink, led to the floors, and maybe some paint. I did get a new double vanity with granite top for 699.00 after half off. Also they ran everything in the collection on sale. So, vanity, plus two big ass medicine mirrors, faucets, and a light for about 1200.

So, things I learned from the last time and tips, maybe some rambling. Most importantly, don't pay those ridiculous contractor prices. My buddy just paid 50k for two baths, a little paint in the kitchen and floors.

Buy a hammer drill(or borrow mine) and tile bit for 120.00. I bought the 12.5 amp SDS one from Harbor. I cleared the master floor in 30 minutes, then 1.5 hours for clean up. I still need to grind it with my carbon floor buffer I bought last time.

Shut off the central AC, tape the doors shut, stuff a fine particle filter in your wet dry(HF 5 for 9.99), spritz the tile with water and have your spouse hold the vacuum where you are working. I wiped down my cherry dresser prior to this and it sits right outside the door. Not a spot of dust on it yet.

I just realized my entire house is built of grade one Cedar or some shit. Must be code for being built around a creek. I knew the termites had hit at one point but the patio I poured on cut them off at the pass years back. They had still managed to jack with my sheet rock here and there but I am glad the studs are not pine and as mentioned in the past the back wall of the house is concrete board. Was a pile of termite dirt though under my shitty old cabinet.. At this point I have trenched all the way around my house and used Taurus SC, plus dumped it in any stumps they were in. Those fucker were starting on my probably 20 year old cedar fence also. So I tore that bitch down last week. Oh, did you know fencing is like toilet paper, scarce.

Next week, maybe I will swap out the AC unit!
            Last edited by kingjason; 08-04-2020, 01:30 AM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I feel your pain on termites, if in the middle of remodeling my grandmas old house from the 60's and every time we open up a wall we end up replacing a few studs.

Comment

Glad I read this. If I buy the remodel house across from me. I'm going to plan on cutting out 3' on all the sheet rock. That is just an idea for now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                  I feel your pain on termites, if in the middle of remodeling my grandmas old house from the 60's and every time we open up a wall we end up replacing a few studs.
                  Yeah glad all my shit is cedar for sure. I mean even the rafters and roof area. I have three sets of french doors in the back of the house. I have one set that needs re framed or replaced for sure where they got the bottom. That Taurus SC is a 10 year treatment and doesn't scare them off but wrecks the whole population. I had a guy spray my entire house once but they came back by the pond. I plan on wrecking the colony for miles around. The cedar fence posts are all still in good shape. Except the one warped one I ripped out with the winch. Plus I put my fence an inch off the ground.

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                  Glad I read this. If I buy the remodel house across from me. I'm going to plan on cutting out 3' on all the sheet rock. That is just an idea for now!!!!
                  Don't get crazy, look for lifted spots in the paint, and little mounds of dirt at the baseboards. They eat through the paper on the sheet rock and hit paint and bubble it up usually. At one point since I have concrete board on the back of the house, I had considered metal studs in the walls. Now realizing how the house was built I guess I will just fix the paint. Little bastards. Anytime you live near creaks and shit they are worse.

Did I mention I have fought carpenter ants twice now! Bigger bastards but the ortho bait stations wipe their asses out. Takes a week or so but they take the delicous nectar back to the queen and kill her. At least they are visible.

Had a guy out today to give me a estimate for HVAC. After he quoted me a decent price on a Lennox single stage he got to eyeballing my 2000 Ford F250 4x4. Offered me a 20 seer two stage system for it. My shit is from 2003 so that is a deal I just might take. Reliant quoted me 12k a while back. MFers acted like it was hard to change a few of my hoses in the attic. I mean literally , un hook the band and add new hose. Most of mine look great and I have two in the garage I converted back I could borrow. I kinda of like the way it takes the edge off in winter and summer. He didn't blink an eye when I said 4 ton but after reading a bit for 1850 sq foot 3.5 might be the way to go. I like my shit to get to the temp I want it though quickly. Currently 3.5 outside unit and 4 ton inside with a furnace. I also realize I have some sort of really good wood like insulation, it almost looks like saw dust.
                  Last edited by kingjason; 08-04-2020, 10:14 PM.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                    Avoid the kohler 2 stage toilets... I put a Cimarron in a few months ago and it is annoying to flush fully. If you don't stand there and hold the handle down, if won't fully flush away pee.

I will vouch for the American standard champion 4 series. No complaints from that one!
                    Funny this thread popped up again.

I've been remodeling our bathrooms over the past few months. While having the tile replaced, I had to pull the Kohler commode. Before I put it back, I found the walls of the drain were coated with sludge shrinking the pipe from the 3 or 4" down to maybe 1.5". I believe it to be years of build up because I don't remember it being there when I installed the Kohler. This made the toilet chug quite a bit and frequently needed plunging. I removed all of that nastiness and now that thing flushes and damn near pulls a vacuum clearing the bowl! Now it still doesn't rinse the bowl as well as the A.S. Champion 4 unit does, but there is nothing left in the water after a flush.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      Funny this thread popped up again.

I've been remodeling our bathrooms over the past few months. While having the tile replaced, I had to pull the Kohler commode. Before I put it back, I found the walls of the drain were coated with sludge shrinking the pipe from the 3 or 4" down to maybe 1.5". I believe it to be years of build up because I don't remember it being there when I installed the Kohler. This made the toilet chug quite a bit and frequently needed plunging. I removed all of that nastiness and now that thing flushes and damn near pulls a vacuum clearing the bowl! Now it still doesn't rinse the bowl as well as the A.S. Champion 4 unit does, but there is nothing left in the water after a flush.
                      Wax ring?

Yeah that two stage toilet works like a champ. I had a new lid put on my back tank that caved in this year. They sealed it to the top with uhhhh great stuff and I haven't had any issue with my toilets this year, even in heavy rain. Eventually, I need to gutter that side of my house and run it to the driveway. Should seal the deal.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

It seemed like more than a few wax rings worth of material. It was lining the drain down until it hit the main drain. I removed what I could by gloved hand (and a trash bag wrapped around my arm). Then used a piece of sCrap wood to scrape the rest down the drain. I don't know how any thing solid was getting through it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

Don't get crazy, look for lifted spots in the paint, and little mounds of dirt at the baseboards. They eat through the paper on the sheet rock and hit paint and bubble it up usually. At one point since I have concrete board on the back of the house, I had considered metal studs in the walls. Now realizing how the house was built I guess I will just fix the paint. Little bastards. Anytime you live near creaks and shit they are worse.

Did I mention I have fought carpenter ants twice now! Bigger bastards but the ortho bait stations wipe their asses out. Takes a week or so but they take the delicous nectar back to the queen and kill her. At least they are visible.

Had a guy out today to give me a estimate for HVAC. After he quoted me a decent price on a Lennox single stage he got to eyeballing my 2000 Ford F250 4x4. Offered me a 20 seer two stage system for it. My shit is from 2003 so that is a deal I just might take. Reliant quoted me 12k a while back. MFers acted like it was hard to change a few of my hoses in the attic. I mean literally , un hook the band and add new hose. Most of mine look great and I have two in the garage I converted back I could borrow. I kinda of like the way it takes the edge off in winter and summer. He didn't blink an eye when I said 4 ton but after reading a bit for 1850 sq foot 3.5 might be the way to go. I like my shit to get to the temp I want it though quickly. Currently 3.5 outside unit and 4 ton inside with a furnace. I also realize I have some sort of really good wood like insulation, it almost looks like saw dust.

Did I mention house has been alone for 6 years. Owner tells me there was a bathroom leak and unsure for how long on the second floor. The toilet is leaning so some studs are broke. House backs up to a concrete creek.
                          Maybe good time if we did get the house to remove all exterior wall sheet rock to replace insulation. Planning on upgrading window.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                            Did I mention house has been alone for 6 years. Owner tells me there was a bathroom leak and unsure for how long on the second floor. The toilet is leaning so some studs are broke. House backs up to a concrete creek.
                            Maybe good time if we did get the house to remove all exterior wall sheet rock to replace insulation. Planning on upgrading window.
                            Oh yeah, you might want to demo some shit in there. I got motivated to go around my patio today. 40 god damn feet of manually trenching 6 inches. Going to take a sledge hammer and see what this huge highly infected tree stump looks like about 4 feet off the patio. I bet I can knock the whole top off of it. I cut it 3 feet off the ground 6 to 8 years ago and had planters on it. I treated it a couple of weeks ago but they had already wrecked it pretty good. I mean they have a place, just not near my house.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Just FYI that hammer drill is spectacular. I flipped the blade over and it removed the thin set like it wasn't there in 30 minutes. Updated my Vacuum for a better unit that the small particle bags installed better on also, so I can finish cleaning it up quickly with no mess since I got the attachment for the dewalt. I have a strange feeling that step is a base the tub is on. I plan on popping that wall off tomorrow. We should all share equipment on this shit. I mean after this floor and shower I will have everything to remove and install and no more jobs! Well, ok I might have some tile in an entry way I need to do but still. My wife has some interesting choices but I told her she could pick out this stuff. She is still bitter I picked out all the last one even though she was in the Navy.

Last edited by kingjason; 08-14-2020, 03:09 AM.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Its coming along nicely. I can't wait to see the end results.
                                Originally posted by Silverback
                                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X