Suppressor question / advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppressor question / advice

I know very little about all of this, so I am coming to the experts for advice. I would like a suppressor for a .223, and for a .22 pistol. Is it possible to buy one that will work for both (even if not the 100% best option)? If so, what would you recommend?

.223 would either be an AR or Tavor (or both) and pistol would likely be a Ruger MKIII 22/45 lite.

Does not have to the best ever, nor the cheapest ever. Think best value.

The problem you will run into is .22LR is cast (or plated) and it throws a ton of slag into the can. Whereas rifle cans (.223) are true jacketed bullets, meaning they don't really have much of any slag. Because of that and the pressures of the higher caliber, .223 cans are generally not serviceable, and the ones that are generally yield a not hearing safe dB. So, you'll be shooting lead into a can you can't clean it out of. That's not a good thing. That's why most people buy a .22 can first. Now if you want the most use for the money, there is an order to buy cans. You always start with the largest caliber first, because you can fire sub calibers through them. The order I would recommend buying cans in is as follows:

.22LR (suppresses .22, some more expensive cans can do .22WM, 5.7mm also)
    .308 (suppresses all popular rifle calibers, .223, .308, .300mag, .300blk, .270, .243, etc.)
    .45 (supresses all popular pistol calibers, .38, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45, .45LC, .357 sig, etc)
    .223 (only .223)
    9mm (only 9mm and .300blk subsonic)
    .40 (only .40, 9mm)
    Last edited by CJ; 09-09-2014, 04:23 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Any can that would live on the Tavor will be too heavy for the pistol.

Sparrow for .22lr
      Gemtech G5 or Saker for the Tavor.

Come to ShootSmart in Fort Worth and I will let you shoot my G5 and a 22lr can.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

As far as value, the Saker is out. That can is specifically designed for short barrels (<10.5") and full auto fire. That's where the money goes with that kind of can. It's also one of the most expensive .223 cans on the market. ($1,000+) Also the MAAD mount (albeit a little cumbersome at times) is one of the few QD's that truly has no point of impact change (meaning your impact changes when the can is installed, usually you sight your gun in with or without the can and choose which you shoot it with). So you get what you pay for, but if it's going to be on standard length rifles and semi auto, you can save money. I would suggest trying a few cans out and seeing what you want. The important things to consider is the weight (do you want a 1.5lb weight hanging 16" off the end of your rifle?), it's length, and it's attachment method. You can save money on any one of those. I personally really prefer light cans if I can get them. Attachment really isn't that important to me. The Gemtech's are cheap, that's a bonus, but also consider the price of the QD brakes (you have to buy one for every gun you plan to shoot it with). Whereas the saker's brakes are fairly cheap compared to some (see SAS, $135 each compared to Silencerco $60 each). So initial cost may end up biting you in the ass in the long run. If budget is the primary concern, buying a direct thread on suppressor is cheaper and lighter. You just have to keep a wrench around to remove/install your flash hiders. It will also allow you to install it on a .22LR if you choose to.
        Last edited by CJ; 09-09-2014, 04:25 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Have any of you guys shot the new 762-SD? I know they are heavy and long, but the price seems hard to beat for something with a full inconel baffle stack. Their current rebate also helps offset the high cost of the AAC QD stuff.

Comment

Got your PM CJ, will respond when a little more clear headed.

Personally, I am getting a .308 AR platform (for longer range stuff, probably 20" barrel, possibly for game) and a .223 Tavor (16.5"). Leah will have a .223 AR (16.5"). I am most interested in a can for the .223's for pigs. Lots of them on the lease. If I can use the same can for plinking .22 pistol on the lease without frightening pigs or game, good deal. If not, no biggie.

So I will have a .308 and .223 (probably 2), so I guess that would be priority. The .22 idea was just something to play with during the day in between hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post

Personally, I am getting a .308 AR platform (for longer range stuff, probably 20" barrel, possibly for game) and a .223 Tavor (16.5"). Leah will have a .223 AR (16.5"). I am most interested in a can for the .223's for pigs. Lots of them on the lease. If I can use the same can for plinking .22 pistol on the lease without frightening pigs or game, good deal. If not, no biggie.

So I will have a .308 and .223 (probably 2), so I guess that would be priority. The .22 idea was just something to play with during the day in between hunting.
              Well in that case, I would buy a .30 cal suppressor, preferably a titanium can to save weight. It will suppress both of your rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                Have any of you guys shot the new 762-SD? I know they are heavy and long, but the price seems hard to beat for something with a full inconel baffle stack. Their current rebate also helps offset the high cost of the AAC QD stuff.
                I went and handled one today at Fort Worth Gun. If they were not $200 higher than everyone else ($1049) I might had bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  Well in that case, I would buy a .30 cal suppressor, preferably a titanium can to save weight. It will suppress both of your rifles.
                  Any additional brand / store recommendations?

Same for getting barrels threaded? I know I saw some in another thread.. But figured I would ask again since I know several in this thread have owned various.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    Any can that would live on the Tavor will be too heavy for the pistol.

Sparrow for .22lr
                    Gemtech G5 or Saker for the Tavor.

Come to ShootSmart in Fort Worth and I will let you shoot my G5 and a 22lr can.
                    That's what I was worried about as far as using the same for rifle and pistol. You working there or just suggesting to meet up? We just went to the GP location (Nick's old place) last weekend.. I like that they have the private "suites" that allow rapid fire. Slow shooting bores me quickly.

Comment

I've got an lr308 with some upgrades and a viper vortex pst ffp I'll sell for you for a good price.

Comment

That's what I was worried about as far as using the same for rifle and pistol. You working there or just suggesting to meet up? We just went to the GP location (Nick's old place) last weekend.. I like that they have the private "suites" that allow rapid fire. Slow shooting bores me quickly.
                        I live near the Fort Worth location. Their private lanes are awesome.

Comment

I'd also check with Chris(Phaux/Campbell defense), he has a wealth of knowledge with these cans. He took care of me on the 2 that I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            I've got an lr308 with some upgrades and a viper vortex pst ffp I'll sell for you for a good price.
                            Thanks but I already have a good hookup on the firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              decided to get rid of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X