$10k hand painted racing stripes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $10k hand painted racing stripes...

I'm curious what our resident paint and body guys, retired or otherwise, would have fetched to paint some stripes on a car.

10k is fucking ridiculous, I think 5k for stripes would still be a “fuck you price”
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Macco stripes for sure!!!

Comment

hand painted, as opposed to what?

some suit at the table is just laughing because he has a bet how many they will sell with another suit at the table.

Comment

I’m willing to bet that the stripes are stopping a very tight and limited paint production line (which can delay other vehicles etc.) for that car and that price is basically Ford begrudgingly saying “yeah, we’ll paint them on... but your ass is gonna pay for it.” Call it Price of Admission to have a first-run car with the painted stripes as a stickered/documented factory option (think Barrett-Jackson in 40 years). I don’t agree with the price, just saying I see why.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

So, I have no idea how new cars are painted. That being said, when we use to put stripes on a car we would sand the whole car with like 1500 grit, tape and paint the stripes, then sand the stripes, then tape and clear the whole car. While I don't find it to be 10k worth of work, it sure made the paint look nice and was labor intensive. I saw one for sale like 15 years later and the paint still looked new and shiny on it. If dad just integrated the clear in the top top coat and then buffed it out later it looked nice but not the same.

If they clear these dudes after they paint them on the line I could see it being a pain in the ass but not 10k. Plus, coming from Ford that way would not hurt the value as opposed to someone doing it afterward. I am not sure current collectibles are thought of in the same way as the ones from back in the day. Like being able to prove your factory painted 67 fastback had some unique shit on it.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Likely, they have to pull it off the line, after being dipped in paint, before it's cleared, and corresponding hood/lid/bumpers/etc that will be taken to a special paint prep area, and then those parts will have to go back to the production line to be assembled after. I can imagine that in a production plant assembly line situation, that's like an act of god.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                Likely, they have to pull it off the line, after being dipped in paint, before it's cleared, and corresponding hood/lid/bumpers/etc that will be taken to a special paint prep area, and then those parts will have to go back to the production line to be assembled after. I can imagine that in a production plant assembly line situation, that's like an act of god.
                The whole car, man. Roof too.
                Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                dont downshift!!
                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                  The whole car, man. Roof too.
                  read that again, slowly.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

read that again, slowly.
                    That's the only way I read, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      That's the only way I read, man.
                      [pats head softly] Good boy.

Comment

Thanks for being gentle. I'm fragile.

Comment

Yeah something like that for sure. The last part was my thoughts also. I would think it would all have to be on the car to do stripes as I am not sure that shit would align to their standards.

Ostrich feathers! Now on one you can see the front fender is not painted yet.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

$10k for painted at the factory, yes its worth it. I wouldn't pay that, but I can see the cost in stopping the line and masking for a second color coat and I would assume they are hand painted but could see the robot re-programmed to do it. Then on to clear coat, it takes some time in labor to mask, prep and shoot the color. All the bumper covers are painted in a different part of the factory so then they have to do the same as the body.

I used to charge $1500.00 for just painted on and $2500.00 for paint and re-shoot clear coat over the adjacent panels, add $500.00/$1000.00 for bumper covers. If I was painting an entire car and you wanted these added during the process, then it would be a flat price of $2500.00 added to the cost. This was for basic colors, if you wanted some candy color or color shifting and add no line feel, that price could balloon to around $5k...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                            X