Red Dye Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dye Diesel

Has anyone here ever used red dye diesel? I just learned about this and am curious.

I'm by no means a heavy consumer, but I've got 3 diesel Kubota toys and I'm wondering if there are any red dye diesel stations on the east side of the metroplex.

I've google'd several times and the results are sparse. I'd be a bit surprised if it's as hard to get as the limited google results make it seem.

If you're like me and never heard of this, my understanding is that red dye diesel is essentially normal diesel fuel that is not hit with the road tax, meaning it's only for use in off-road equipment. The red dye is supposed to stain fuel filters, etc. so you might get caught using it in a road-going vehicle and then get slapped with a huge fine for cheating on gas taxes. Google says that red dye is roughly $0.45/gal cheaper than taxed diesel right now.

It would have to be fairly easy to get to make it worth the effort.

Back in my oilfield days a lot of the guys out at the rig would fill up their diesel trucks with it, for free. Huge tanks of it out there. One old mud engineer even used it in his VW jetta.

Some would say you'd get in trouble if Johnny Law got behind you. Cause he had a special sniffer on his car that could tell it was red dye diesel. And he'd pull you over and give you a ticket. No idea if that was true. If it was, maybe there's something you could add into the tank that would fool the sniffer.
    WH

Comment

There are fuel companies that deliver to farms and stuff. My neighbor had a 500 gallon tanks for his tractors. There was a place in Van Alstyne that I used to buy it occasionally . Wasn't worth the effort though, I only got it ion I was getting my propane filled.
      And the sniffer story is urban legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        Back in my oilfield days a lot of the guys out at the rig would fill up their diesel trucks with it, for free. Huge tanks of it out there. One old mud engineer even used it in his VW jetta.

Some would say you'd get in trouble if Johnny Law got behind you. Cause he had a special sniffer on his car that could tell it was red dye diesel. And he'd pull you over and give you a ticket. No idea if that was true. If it was, maybe there's something you could add into the tank that would fool the sniffer.
        Yea, that's not true about a sniffer lol. However there is the rare occasion where they will come on location and dip every ones tank that was a diesel or you get pulled over by a pissed off DPS that is part of the DOT enforcement you might get your tank dipped.

Comment

At the last salvage yard I worked at we had red diesel delivered in 500 gallon batches. We used it for our giant front end loader and a pressure washer. Both of those also ran fine off of reclaimed road diesel from wrecked cars. It's the same stuff just taxed differently.

The local police have no way of knowing what fuel you are running, a bored state trooper might dip the tank but tax enforcement isn't really part of their responsibility. Start running a fleet of trucks and have a competitor notice you don't ever stop to fill up at truck stops though and you'll probably have some problems. That and come tax time the IRS will certainly figure it out, even though you're really abusing the state taxes.

Comment

Most that use it get it delivered. I used to get 1,000 gallons every couple months or so. I have never, even once used it in a road going vehicle. I have seen state troopers check every truck in line to unload at cattle auctions. Other than that, I don't think anyone would get checked. It is available at a pump at Gene Harris Mobile in Burleson, but you have to have an off-road use permit to buy it. They are very strict on that. No exceptions. The permit is free, if I remember correctly. Just have to apply at the state level.
            Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Comment

we use a little each month, maybe 10-15 gallons... hardly worth the trouble of chasing down the permits and paper work to save 20 cents a gallon.

If you were a big user at 1000 gallons a month or so, it's probably worth the effort.

mardyn

Comment

In TX you'll need either a Texas Fuel License which is tied to a taxpayer ID or a "signed statement" which is tied to an End User Number (both come from the state comptroller).

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                hardly worth the trouble of chasing down the permits and paper work to save 20 cents a gallon.

If you were a big user at 1000 gallons a month or so, it's probably worth the effort.
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  In TX you'll need either a Texas Fuel License which is tied to a taxpayer ID or a "signed statement" which is tied to an End User Number (both come from the state comptroller).
                  I saw the part about the paperwork but wouldn't mind filling out a form if the fuel was easily sourced. Sounds like that's not really the case... and buying 500 gallons would last me years and years.

Comment

i use 55 gla drums. fill up at local store . pretty available out here .

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      Yea, that's not true about a sniffer lol. However there is the rare occasion where they will come on location and dip every ones tank that was a diesel or you get pulled over by a pissed off DPS that is part of the DOT enforcement you might get your tank dipped.
                      I assume they dip their wick straight into the fuel hole? Have a lever somewhere that switches over to a little 1 gallon tank of real diesel. When you get pulled over or you park at the rig, reach down and pull the lever. Then run your dually or 3/4 ton truck forever on tax free fuel. Not a very expensive mod when you consider all the money you'd be saving.

Yeah I just like to scheme up ways to fool the police

My other idea is a button on the dash somewhere that flips both your license plates over to some plates you got at the junkyard. Just in case you need to do something illegal real quick. Best that people and cameras see some fake plates.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        I assume they dip their wick straight into the fuel hole? Have a lever somewhere that switches over to a little 1 gallon tank of real diesel. When you get pulled over or you park at the rig, reach down and pull the lever. Then run your dually or 3/4 ton truck forever on tax free fuel. Not a very expensive mod when you consider all the money you'd be saving.

Yeah I just like to scheme up ways to fool the police

My other idea is a button on the dash somewhere that flips both your license plates over to some plates you got at the junkyard. Just in case you need to do something illegal real quick. Best that people and cameras see some fake plates.
                        Why go through all that trouble? Just kick on your lawn mower driven turbo and peace out on those hoes.

Comment

My stepdad had a farm in Oklahoma that would use it there. He ran it in all of his trucks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            Why go through all that trouble? Just kick on your lawn mower driven turbo and peace out on those hoes.
                            some people have like, no imagination
                            WH

Comment

Someone needs to reprogram the AI bot known as Gasser64. His posts are sounding like a crackhead on acid.

Comment

Working...
                              X