No announcement yet.

Think I figured out what replaces the Mustang crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Once you slap aluminum heads on them the vintage V8s really don't weigh that much. I used to be into the FE engines and they frequently came with a cast iron intake manifold that weighed about 90 lb versus the 20 lb replacement aluminum manifold.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I can't get onboard with the weight complaints. 20 years ago sports cars weighed what, 500ish pounds less, but a V8 would get you a whooping 190rwhp? Now everything is in the 4-500hp range and doesn't feel like you're driving a fucking covered wagon down the highway. Would less weight be good, sure, but I don't mind the trade off for a far nicer car and overdelivering on horsepower. We are living in THE automotive golden age right now.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        I can't get onboard with the weight complaints. 20 years ago sports cars weighed what, 500ish pounds less, but a V8 would get you a whooping 190rwhp? Now everything is in the 4-500hp range and doesn't feel like you're driving a fucking covered wagon down the highway. Would less weight be good, sure, but I don't mind the trade off for a far nicer car and overdelivering on horsepower. We are living in THE automotive golden age right now.
        All of this and especially the bolded part. We are living in great time of the ICE automobile, I believe in our lifetimes we will always have gas vehicles, but in the next 50 years they will be like the horse carriages and steam engines of the past.
        Imo, with Ford it started with the 03/04 Terminator, bad ass engines with all forged internals and power adder from the factory. In 2005 and it was the best Mustang ever built, as far as luxury of trim, safety and build quality. Again in 2015, I believe has been the best mustang ever built, IRS, 3rd GEN Coyote with 460hp ('18&up) and the 10 speed automatic.
        I'm sure in 50 years the electric car will be to the standards in power of the current ICE vehicles, and that generation of people will wonder why we had ICE vehicles, just like we did...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

It's more like 10 years for electrics. It's definitely not 50 years. VW has said that by 2025 they won't make an internal combustion engine. All their cars will be electric. They're not a small car company. 20 Years from now you'll likely see 80% of the automakers' lineup being electric, with that last 20% still ice.

You know what I say - Good fucking riddance to those old dinosaur turds. I tire of their antics.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            It's more like 10 years for electrics. It's definitely not 50 years. VW has said that by 2025 they won't make an internal combustion engine. All their cars will be electric. They're not a small car company. 20 Years from now you'll likely see 80% of the automakers' lineup being electric, with that last 20% still ice.

You know what I say - Good fucking riddance to those old dinosaur turds. I tire of their antics.
            The battery technology simply is not there to do this and the supply of rare earth minerals to build the batteries is most definitely not there.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Porsche said all their cars would go 4 cyl turbo, then all electric. After no one bought the 4 cyl Cayman and Boxster S, and Porsche engineered and produced the Taycan, flat sixes are making a big comeback.

And I thought Tacoma Bros were the new stangers by especially if you are in CO.

Comment

C5 z06 vette was 3100lbs and 400hp. Not all of them were porkers.

Comment

I can't get onboard with the weight complaints. 20 years ago sports cars weighed what, 500ish pounds less, but a V8 would get you a whooping 190rwhp?
                  You need to add another 10 or so years to that timeline for that kind of output. Everything sports/muscle car related were well north of that figure. Back then weren't you and Denny all about old cars, pretending to be old and hanging out with old people at car shows with old cars and talk about the olden days?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                    The battery technology simply is not there to do this and the supply of rare earth minerals to build the batteries is most definitely not there.
                    Search graphene battery. Samsung specifically. It's definitely on it's way, and when it gets here, any and all battery concerns are permanently over.

You're a "market guy". They're on the hunt now. They're not gonna stop until that particular problem is solved.
                    WH

Comment

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a new mach 1.

Comment

I couldn't possibly care less.
                        Agreed.

Comment

I'd love to have a new mustang GT in the 10 speed auto for a daily. The stick is definitly more fun, but screw DFW traffic with a stick.

Comment

Search graphene battery. Samsung specifically. It's definitely on it's way, and when it gets here, any and all battery concerns are permanently over.

You're a "market guy". They're on the hunt now. They're not gonna stop until that particular problem is solved.
                            It has been on its way for 30 years now. Right around the corner. Just like nuclear fusion and you having sex with an actual woman.
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              It has been on its way for 30 years now. Right around the corner. Just like nuclear fusion and you having sex with an actual woman.
                              rofl!

No graphene wasn't discovered until 2004. Materials science, man. The shit ain't gonna appear out of thin air. Gonna take a couple decades.

I think maybe you're one of those "old school" guys who can't really catch up with modernity. Or something.
                              WH

Comment

rofl!

No graphene wasn't discovered until 2004. Materials science, man. The shit ain't gonna appear out of thin air. Gonna take a couple decades.

I think maybe you're one of those "old school" guys who can't really catch up with modernity. Or something.
                                No, I'm just the guy who is realistic because he has been hearing this bullshit for thirty years. It is like global warming, nothing they say about it ever comes true.

Comment

Working...
                                X