Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another garage/workshop question. What will it cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry, Biden will talk to China and get the steel prices lowered.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
      Steel prices are at all time highs.

I sold a post frame 40x60 yesterday for $23,800. Exactly a year ago it was about $15k.

My cost on coil steel to manufacture metal roofing/siding is up exactly 60% since October 1st.
      What's causing the rise?

Comment

Domestic steel shortages they say, but it's covid related in some ways.

The automakers took covid so seriously they didn't make anything for quite awhile. Then, the steel mills didn't make steel for them, so they lowered capacity. Appliance manufactures also lowered/halted production, including domestic hvac/locker manufactures etc. So, the mills didn't make steel for them either.

I fall under building products in steel categorization. Building products never stopped, and actually had record year. Well, everything else comes online and the steel companies have little to no excess laying around, mills idled, 50% employee numbers, etc. The American mills could never supply the domestic market 100%, and honestly the quality isn't that of the imports in most cases.

It'll sort out eventually. I'm on allocation on things I could buy 1000 tons of in August 2020. I never thought I'd not be able to buy all the steel I wanted. It's changed my perspective on business and life in enough ways I'm revaluating my forward plans.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodcobra View Post
          I created these in a 3D design tool at Mueller, and am shooting to get started by summer. I have not decided which would be best for storing 3 or 4 cars, one antique tractor, an original 1924 model T, a 4 post lift, workshop, and still have room to park a massive 250hp John Deere just inside the rear door. My daily will be parked under a lean to of the building.

Option 1: 50x80. 16' side walls. 14x14 roll up doors front and back. 10x10 roll up's on each side, mostly for ventilation.

Option 2: 60x60. 16' sides. 14x14 roll up doors front and back, with 2 additional 10x10 doors in front.

I have sent in both for a cost estimate, but have not heard back. Any guesses on the price? Not including electric, plumbing or insulation.

[ATTACH]4910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4911[/ATTACH]
          Have you got a quote yet? Just curious on how much.

I am sitting about 31k right now with just structure (26x40) with concrete, but I did have about 7500 extra concrete done with an extension and circular drive.

Comment

Find local barndo builders on Facebook groups. There are a bunch of them around our area.

Last April I was quoted $49k for a 30X40x14 from a builder (not muller). That was 75' driveway, slab, red iron building, 2 roll up doors, 2 man doors, and 3 or 4 3x3 windows

We are planning a 35x50x14 but our restrictions in our HOA require 100% brick...estimates bring my build up another $16-20k. I am scared what my actual cost will be this summer when I am ready to build.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
              Find local barndo builders on Facebook groups. There are a bunch of them around our area.

Last April I was quoted $49k for a 30X40x14 from a builder (not muller). That was 75' driveway, slab, red iron building, 2 roll up doors, 2 man doors, and 3 or 4 3x3 windows

We are planning a 35x50x14 but our restrictions in our HOA require 100% brick...estimates bring my build up another $16-20k. I am scared what my actual cost will be this summer when I am ready to build.
              High as a giraffe pussy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                High as a giraffe pussy!
                May very well be. I'm budgeting the building to cost equal to the electrical, spray foam insulation, plumbing, full bathroom, bar sink, floor coating and lift.

By the time I get home in June/July, I will have been gone for over a year. This will be my last trip overseas for work and the garage is the payoff.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Yeah, by July everything steel wise will be nuts.

Copper is going up. Just bought 2k feet of 12/2 for two spring/summer projects. Everything but concrete has gone up.

Comment

concrete will be going up in april . friend here is at 7.00 ft but with concrete and steel prices rising he has to go up .

Comment

2 months ago before the steel skyrocketed it was roughly $27/ft turn key, no plumbing or electrical
                      pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        The price of lumber is eight times what it was this time last year and steel is also way up.
                        No SHIT... holy moley that put a kink in my plans to build a cabin this summer. I was going to make a Barndominum in the mountains (pole barn made into a house).

I thought about doing it in steel and of course that was just as ridiculously expensive. I’m still going to do the barn itself in steel due to the forest fires we’ve been having in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
                          Have you got a quote yet? Just curious on how much.

I am sitting about 31k right now with just structure (26x40) with concrete, but I did have about 7500 extra concrete done with an extension and circular drive.

I have had steel cost bid between, 38,000 and 58,000.
                          Turn key builds, minus electric between 115,000 and 135,000.

I'm still gathering prices, but every week it's definitely going up.

The thing is, I am moving 1 mile down the road and currently have slightly over 60,000 sq. ft. of metal buildings. 90% with perfect sheets of white tin. I have about 1/2 of it counted and it's something like 600 sheets of 12' tin. 200 sheets of 20'. 50 sheets of 30'. Not to mention all the trusses, beams and uprights. So far the builders tell me it's not worth the trouble, and that's with me taking it down, them putting it up.

I may just go ahead and do all new, then see if anyone wants to buy the buildings, as is, and let them worry about dismantling. Otherwise, I will knock em down for scrap at some point.

I sold the land that the current buildings are on, and have 3 years to remove anything I want.
                          Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Comment

pm me kirk, my buildings are close, we might be able to make it worth your while, as i have use for more square footage.
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodcobra View Post
                              I have had steel cost bid between, 38,000 and 58,000.
                              Turn key builds, minus electric between 115,000 and 135,000.

I'm still gathering prices, but every week it's definitely going up.

The thing is, I am moving 1 mile down the road and currently have slightly over 60,000 sq. ft. of metal buildings. 90% with perfect sheets of white tin. I have about 1/2 of it counted and it's something like 600 sheets of 12' tin. 200 sheets of 20'. 50 sheets of 30'. Not to mention all the trusses, beams and uprights. So far the builders tell me it's not worth the trouble, and that's with me taking it down, them putting it up.

I may just go ahead and do all new, then see if anyone wants to buy the buildings, as is, and let them worry about dismantling. Otherwise, I will knock em down for scrap at some point.

I sold the land that the current buildings are on, and have 3 years to remove anything I want.

The issue I have run into is that the roof metal can seldom be reused, otherwise it's not bad to tear down and reassemble. Especially right now with materials, there is no way labor would offset materials. Even at $12 a sq ft to r&r a building you'd be way ahead with today's steel numbers.

Comment

Not sure if anyone in DFW is doing this kind of construction, but its an interesting watch.

Go Subscribe to RRBuildings YouTube Channel - https://bit.ly/31oKiVeOn this fun episode, Matt makes it all the way up to Franklin Gove, IL in his mini-van to...

Comment

Working...
                                X