Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?

This is for when you're out in public, with your EDC piece. What does it take for you to draw down on someone? I know Texas is a "stand your ground" state, but I can imagine there's some grey area on what's considered a threat. Disclaimer: I'm new to carrying, and they skim over this shit pretty fast in the LTC class, so forgive my ignorance. My stance as of right now is, if you lay your hands on me, you're getting a gun put in your face. I have no idea if you have a knife, gun, the strength to beat me to death, etc. and I'm not about to find out. If someone just gets mouthy and threatens to kick my ass-whatever. I'm not pulling my gun for that, but when it gets physical, the gun comes out.
    You even verbally threaten me
    0%
    You lay your hands on me
    0%
    You present a weapon of some kind
    0%
    Evil Jose is my favorite moderator
    0%

There are too many other variables for this poll to be realistic.
    I had myself questioning this a few months back. I live in Albuquerque where crime is so beyond out of control its laughable....violent assaults and rape are WAYYY up there too. About 6 months ago my dogs started going crazy at about 2am and I heard yelling and screaming in front of my house. Before I could get downstairs I heard a female voice screaming "STOP, STOP!!!! I opened the garage door to look out and I see a probably late teens/very early 20's chick parked at the end of my driveway with 2 guys and they are all yelling and swinging at each other....at this point I didn't know if they were friends or if they were attacking this chick....I never pointed the gun but I made them aware I had it on me...as I also was talking to the police. A few words were exchanged as I determined they were all drunk or methed out and they jumped in 2 separate cars and sped off. Cops did show up and when I explained what happened they said nothing about me displaying, took a report and left. One of the cars was found a few blocks away wrecked and abandoned. It was stolen.

Comment

I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.

Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.

As the saying goes, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. i.e. cops show up and there's conflicting stories, but half the people agree that there was some physical contact, but it didn't necessitate pulling out a firearm. Boom, you're probably going downtown.

It's not really a cut and dry answer. It's going to situation dependent. If Stone Cold Steve Austin goes hands on, it's a lot easier to convince a jury panel that I feared for my life. That if the fight continued I'd stand a chance that I'd be dead afterwards.

Flip that and say the BG is someone that's my same build. What do we know about them? What do we know about their fighting skills or training? Could I have simply let my pride take a hit and simply walked away?

Comment

When I feel me or mine are in imminent and serious danger.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
          I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.
          Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.
          I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.

Comment

I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
              I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.
              Nah, that's just pulling them off sides and laughing when the "ref" penalizes them.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.
                My comments weren't really directed at anyone specifically.

Comment

I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

brake check me and see whats up.
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                      What do you drive, and what areas do you drive?

Comment

Depends on what I perceive their intention to be.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 inches away from terminating your b-hole.
                            whoa!!!

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.
                              This right here. I am typically hyperaware of my surroundings, always looking around, seeing who or what is aroubd me, etc. I could typically spot bar fights before they happened simply by watching the crowd.

As for drawing my weapon, my life or that of my family would have to be in iminent danger. I have ran scenarios through my head a lot, asking myself what I would do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X