Property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    how does one go about protesting? mine went up $20k. ive never done this before, and I'm hearing several folks saying to file the protest ONLINE right before the deadline and more often than not it will be reduced by at least something.

god bless.
    lowfast answered it below. But you log into the system and you can put what you think its worth in the box. This part is computer generated and it will agree with your valuation or not. Timing isnt a big deal as long as you protest before the deadline.

Comment

They should alter the law so that property taxes can never go up more than XX% in a calendar year. People are getting sticker shock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
        They should alter the law so that property taxes can never go up more than XX% in a calendar year. People are getting sticker shock.
        If you're homesteaded , they can't raise you more than 10% per year. I have a couple that aren't homestead , I got soaked..

Comment

No, it should be your home value is locked in when you buy it, no tax increase until it is sold. It seems crazy to me to be taxed yearly for something you purchased once.
          1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
          TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
          Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
            If you're homesteaded , they can't raise you more than 10% per year. I have a couple that aren't homestead , I got soaked..
            Still sucks when they raise it 10% a year. City reappraised my entire neighborhood after ignoring it for the past 10 years...we're getting soaked with the predictable increase for the next few years.
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

For those of you who protest, what data are you using to state your case? In the past I've used repair estimates, which I will use again this year, but I'm looking for better results.

Are you using average value in your neighborhood?
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

If you file your protest under "property value to high to comparable properties" or something along those lines. Go on the TAD website, go to the interactive map and find properties around you that are valued lower. I usually find about a half dozen and then use and average of those values on a per sqft basis and apply it to my property. You don't have to use any that are higher or same as yours, sift out the lower comp'ed properties and use only those. Show your math and then submit all that info as a package. It is hard for them to argue if you use info off of their own website. If you are the lowest comp in your area, well, then I guess you are screwed.

It is not difficult, just takes a few minute of time on their website and some simple cost per square foot calculations.

sigpic
                Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                  ... I usually find about a half dozen and then use and average of those values on a per sqft basis and apply it to my property. You don't have to use any that are higher or same as yours, sift out the lower comp'ed properties and use only those. Show your math and then submit all that info as a package....
                  It is not difficult, just takes a few minute of time on their website and some simple cost per square foot calculations.
                  You'd also need to account for differences in lot sizes.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

If you file your protest under "property value to high to comparable properties" or something along those lines. Go on the TAD website, go to the interactive map and find properties around you that are valued lower. I usually find about a half dozen and then use and average of those values on a per sqft basis and apply it to my property. You don't have to use any that are higher or same as yours, sift out the lower comp'ed properties and use only those. Show your math and then submit all that info as a package. It is hard for them to argue if you use info off of their own website. If you are the lowest comp in your area, well, then I guess you are screwed.

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    I'm in Hunt county. Either way, all the same. I've pulled the property value for every house on my street. I am on one of the biggest lots, however, all of the houses were built around the same time, using very similar floor plans and all have about the same Sq. Ft. living space.

There is about $21K between the lowest valued house and the highest valued house on the block (cul de sac) and I am on the upper end. No doubt due in part to my lot size being a corner lot. However, I still have the massive drainage issue, a decaying fence, and need to replace my A/C condensor. So I have $10-15K in repairs to show as well.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      I was giving a simple example, yes but the good thing is that TAD breaks down both lot and structure, so you can compare both independently. Right now mine is just a lot (currently building) so I compared on a value per acre basis.

sigpic
                      Work In Progress

Comment

I was giving a simple example, yes but the good thing is that TAD breaks down both lot and structure, so you can compare both independently. Right now mine is just a lot (currently building) so I compared on a value per acre basis.
                        Hunt county does this as well. I just ran the numbers on lot size, as well as $/sq ft based solely on the structure value and I am on the lower end of that metric, however, my square foot is one of the highest in the neighborhood. I need to measure my actual living space to see if it is correct. I know that it has been reported differently in several different locations.

After calculating $/ac I am on the low end of that as well, looks like I've got a tough row to hoe here.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          Hunt county does this as well. I just ran the numbers on lot size, as well as $/sq ft based solely on the structure value and I am on the lower end of that metric, however, my square foot is one of the highest in the neighborhood. I need to measure my actual living space to see if it is correct. I know that it has been reported differently in several different locations.

After calculating $/ac I am on the low end of that as well, looks like I've got a tough row to hoe here.
                          You can talk to a realtor to try and pull sold comps in the area. Sometimes these will be way more in your favor if you are not in a hot market.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            You can talk to a realtor to try and pull sold comps in the area. Sometimes these will be way more in your favor if you are not in a hot market.
                            Greenville is blowing up, we had comps pulled a month or so ago and our realtor suggested if we sell to list at $149k. Our appraisal is at $119k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              Greenville is blowing up, we had comps pulled a month or so ago and our realtor suggested if we sell to list at $149k. Our appraisal is at $119k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Best of luck... I gave up fighting mine for our house. Its just not possible for me. Im "lucky" I have another 5-6 years before we hit market value due to the 10% homestead

Comment

Attempted to protest my value on TADs website and it was denied as i thought, and they countered offered BUT the counter offer was more than the amount on the notice. LOL.

Debating if I should go in and attempt to protest it myself (time running out I know) or pay a tax protest company as listed here and let them handle it.

Comment

Working...
                                X