Chromecast vs amazon fire vs roku

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Plex is just an app. You need to have a HTPC or media server of some sort. You go out and download torrents, and you can use Plex to watch them via smart tv, smart DVD player, roku/FireStick/whatever. There are programs like couch potato that go out and do the downloading of torrents for you, but it still requires some work. Too much work for me, but I do watch Plex because I have a log in for a friend's Plex server. He does the work, I get to watch his content, and do no work.
    I already D/L torrents for movies and have a HTPC, Smart TV, Fire Stick, Apple TV and all of that.

Whatever I do has to be relatively easy for the wife.... and recordable in some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      I already D/L torrents for movies and have a HTPC, Smart TV, Fire Stick, Apple TV and all of that.

Whatever I do has to be relatively easy for the wife.... and recordable in some fashion.
      So Kodi + TVAddons is more or less "on demand". I don't know of a way to record any of this stuff. But if you d/l torrents, why do you need the ability to record them?

It's possible you could plug the fire stick in to a TiVo as long as the TiVo has an HDMI in port, but TiVo comes with a monthly fee and I'm not entirely sure it would work.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

All this download talk let me tell you, my BIL came to the house the other day with his laptop to download some Anime for my wife...well, within 2 days I had an email and physical mailing from Verizon indicating they detected an illegal download from my service. If I did not cease immediately they would cancel my service and report my activity to the authorities.

So in short, not downloading shit anymore unless its songs to my Note via MP3 downloader...fuck me
        Originally posted by Sean88gt
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          So Kodi + TVAddons is more or less "on demand". I don't know of a way to record any of this stuff. But if you d/l torrents, why do you need the ability to record them?
          I currently just download full movies, just whenever, no rhyme or reason. I wouldn't want to have to d/l Masterchef Junior every week in addition to the other 10 shows my wife watches.

I think Kodi and TVAddons will do most of what I need, I guess I need to look into recording from them.

Comment

Chromecast just had a new dongle released this week.

Comment

There’s a new Chromecast in town and Amazon’s Fire TV Stick is getting an update — which means it’s time for another streaming showdown. Roku’s stick hasn’t been updated since last year but we’re still throwing it into the face-off.

Comment

Got my firestick updated with kodi and some add-ons. Probably the most unfriendly user interface of all time. Lots of stuff in there though, that's for sure.
                Last edited by CWO; 10-01-2015, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Hijacked cable from neighbor or ask to share the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                    Got my firestick updated with kodi and some add-ons. Probably the most unfriendly user interface of all time. Lots of stuff in there though, that's for sure.
                    Once you get your favorites set up, it isn't that bad. UI does suck though.

Comment

So is the Roku better than the apple TV? One of my roommates has apple tv and it's been pretty sweet so far. Was looking at getting one or the other soon.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Been looking at getting a fire stick with kodi on it from eBay. Noticed that they have some with 15.1 & 15.2 software. Is it best to go with the latest 15.2?

Comment

I've had the fire stick, chromecast, and the Roku. Roku all the way, love it. Even the Roku stick is better than the other two.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Roku 3, and Roku Stick here. I've got a Chromecast at work, and the Roku is my go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                              Been looking at getting a fire stick with kodi on it from eBay. Noticed that they have some with 15.1 & 15.2 software. Is it best to go with the latest 15.2?
                              Always best to go with the most recent. Mine has 15.1 on it, but I installed it for a friend last weekend and installed 15.2.

Comment

I have a FireStick with Kodi and a FireTV in the living room, I haven't put Kodi on yet. I use Chromecasts in the other rooms to just cast PLEX to them from phones and tablets.

Sports is very hit or miss with Kodi, depending on what you want and what quality. I had a hard time finding a RedZone channel this weekend that worked for longer than 15-30 min before dying out, and it was only SD quality.

I also pay for SlingTV with the sports package for $25/mo so I can get all of the ESPN content for College Football.

I've found that Media Center Master running on a Windows PC might be one of the best apps for downloading TV Series, SickBeard was nice, but MCM has better options in my opinion. I usually have the show within 2-4 hours after it's been released.

So, as of next weekend I'll be "semi-cutting" the cord with Verizon, as I have about a year on my contract, so I'm going down to the local only package with 2 set top boxes, but no DVR. I'll keep SlingTV for ESPN, and I'm bumping up my internet to 150/150, and it should be right at $100/mo for all of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X