Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new or used Laptop advice, my 15" is getting slow.....tell me what you like/thin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
    I'll give you $1504.37!
    CAD or USD? That's important.

Comment

Go to pcpitstop.com/betapit in IE as Admin, run the test and post the link back here.

Bit I suspect that maxed ram and a decent sized ssd in place of the current platter style hdd would be all good need to be satisfied with speed.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
        CAD or USD? That's important.
        Neither. Bitcoins... but you'll have to wait for me to mine them via this laptop. I'll set aside all profits after my overhead cost are covered, and I'll pay you once the full amount owed has been reached.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          Go to pcpitstop.com/betapit in IE as Admin, run the test and post the link back here.

Bit I suspect that maxed ram and a decent sized ssd in place of the current platter style hdd would be all good need to be satisfied with speed.
          thanks, running now

Hey, btw, this is the laptop you helped me upgrade to max ram capacity a while back that made all the difference at that time

Comment

Bryan, I couldn't get the site you posted a link to work, but i did get the other one, here are the vitals:

Comment

How's this compare to my current spec wise?

Comment

Nothing wrong with those specs for your current computer. Good processor. Good amount of RAM for what you're using it for. Again, a SSD would address most of your complaints. It really is a night and day jump in performance, even on a older PC.

In the meantime, why don't you try some basic windows optimization on your current setup. Ex: Disk Defrag, Disk Clean Up, Disable unnecessary programs and services, etc. Go to the start up tab under MSConfig and see what's starting in boot. You might have a lot of junk stealing resources. If you have a resource hog anti-virus program like Norton's, you may want to do some tweaking. Dial down the Heuristics. And, of course, run a malware scan to see if you have any bugs.

Spending a few minutes of your time could yield solid results.
                Last edited by LS1Goat; 10-02-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I just recently upgraded from a disc style HD to a evo 950 SSD and was blown away at how much faster the PC was. By far the biggest improvement I have made to my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                    Nothing wrong with those specs for your current computer. Good processor. Good amount of RAM for what you're using it for. Again, a SSD would address most of your complaints. It really is a night and day jump in performance, even on a older PC.

In the meantime, why don't you try some basic windows optimization on your current setup. Ex: Disk Defrag, Disk Clean Up, Disable unnecessary programs and services, etc. Go to the start up tab under MSConfig and see what's starting in boot. You might have a lot of junk stealing resources. If you have a resource hog anti-virus program like Norton's, you may want to do some tweaking. Dial down the Heuristics. And, of course, run a malware scan to see if you have any bugs.

This for sure. I have two 6+ year old laptops with dual core processors running Windows 10 with an SSD and less memory that fly for basic web surfing, MS Office, etc. An i5 with 8Gb RAM would be more than enough machine for 99.9% of users.

Comment

What SSD specifically would you upgrade to that would yield fantastic results?

Comment

What's your current hdd utilization? For the money, the Samsung XXX Evo series are hard to beat.

Comment

To echo what others already said: Advice on a used one? Keep the one you've got. Back up all your important shit, and format the hard drive. Install Windows of your choice, I like 7.

Computer fast again. If you want faster, install SSD, maybe upgrade RAM if its a viable option for your laptop. Some already have just about the fastest, and most RAM they can take, others may not. You'll have to check on their website.

You just saved a lot of money.
                          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                            What's your current hdd utilization? For the money, the Samsung XXX Evo series are hard to beat.
                            How can I find this out Bryan?

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              To echo what others already said: Advice on a used one? Keep the one you've got. Back up all your important shit, and format the hard drive. Install Windows of your choice, I like 7.

Computer fast again. If you want faster, install SSD, maybe upgrade RAM if its a viable option for your laptop. Some already have just about the fastest, and most RAM they can take, others may not. You'll have to check on their website.

You just saved a lot of money.
                              I honestly like Windows Xp, what benefits would 7 have over Xp or Xp professional?

Comment

Yea, Bryan set me up doing about 5 of these things and I do them daily now, Defrag, disc cleanup, super anti-spyware I think it's called, etc

Comment

Working...
                                X