Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new or used Laptop advice, my 15" is getting slow.....tell me what you like/thin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just see how much hdd space is free and the benefits of 7 over XP, SECURITY.

Comment

I just put in a SSD in my laptop that I bought back when Circuit City was around. Works like a champ now. Only 2 things I upgraded was the SSD of course and a micro-usb wireless adapter so it would work with my Asus router. Major update over the old wireless card in laptop. It can't play 1080p videos, but don't really care for it on this laptop. Pretty much surf, and use it to back up our mobile phones. Cloned old HD to SSD(had to create bootup disk) and laptop has been flying since.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Just see how much hdd space is free and the benefits of 7 over XP, SECURITY.
        How can I find out how much hdd space I have free?

Comment

Just double click on "My Computer" and look at your c:/.

I think it was already said, but cleaning up your disk will help.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
            I honestly like Windows Xp, what benefits would 7 have over Xp or Xp professional?
            A whole lot. It pretty much does everything better. It looks better, it functions better. Get 64 bit, if your machine supports it. Its also better. lol

7 is what vista should have been. Windows 8 was kind of a flop, imo. Lotta people didn't like it. I haven't messed with 10 much yet. But they're giving it away for free, and I'm somewhat suspicious of their motives. So I'll stick with 7 for a good while. You might call it "the new XP"
            WH

Comment

Samsung 850 EVO

$78 for the next 24 hours with Promo code: EMCKAAP22

Buy SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post

Thanks, I'll try that now. Yea, I clean up every two hours currently.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                  Thanks, I'll try that now. Yea, I clean up every two hours currently.
                  don't have to clean up every two. Guess I should of said, if you do make the move to SSD, I would use CCcleaner to clean up HD. That's if you decide to CLONE old HD to new SSD. If not, then backup your personal stuff, then do fresh install on new SSD, and finally move your personal stuff over. I would go the SSD route like I just did last night. Night and day when I moved over.

Comment

this is what I get when I double click on it

Comment

don't have to clean up every two. Guess I should of said, if you do make the move to SSD, I would use CCcleaner to clean up HD. That's if you decide to CLONE old HD to new SSD. If not, then backup your personal stuff, then do fresh install on new SSD, and finally move your personal stuff over. I would go the SSD route like I just did last night. Night and day when I moved over.
                      So based on my current system setup, what SSD would you upgrade to that would make a massive improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                        Nothing wrong with those specs for your current computer. Good processor. Good amount of RAM for what you're using it for. Again, a SSD would address most of your complaints. It really is a night and day jump in performance, even on a older PC.

In the meantime, why don't you try some basic windows optimization on your current setup. Ex: Disk Defrag, Disk Clean Up, Disable unnecessary programs and services, etc. Go to the start up tab under MSConfig and see what's starting in boot. You might have a lot of junk stealing resources. If you have a resource hog anti-virus program like Norton's, you may want to do some tweaking. Dial down the Heuristics. And, of course, run a malware scan to see if you have any bugs.

Spending a few minutes of your time could yield solid results.
                        Ok, now that Im on the laptop, here is what I am doing every few hours:
                        • Piriform Defraggler
                        • Disk Cleanup
                        • Piriform CCleaner
                        • Microsoft Security Essentials
                        • SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Subscription
                        • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium
                        • Spybot Search and Destroy Free edition

Comment

You should have an icon that says "My Computer" on desktop. Double click that. If you do not have that icon on desktop, go to start, and you should see "My Computer or Computer". Should be where you saw "Control Panel" when you clicked on start menu. Size of SSD would depend on how large of HD you have now and how much free space you have. SSD that was posted above from newegg is very good, but depends if you need that size or bigger.

Comment

Is this one sufficient?

Comment

You should have an icon that says "My Computer" on desktop. Double click that. If you do not have that icon on desktop, go to start, and you should see "My Computer or Computer". Should be where you saw "Control Panel" when you clicked on start menu. Size of SSD would depend on how large of HD you have now and how much free space you have. SSD that was posted above from newegg is very good, but depends if you need that size or bigger.
                              When I click on Control Panel, this is what I see, what next?

Comment

You have a 650GB HD now from your specs above. What we don't know is how much you are using/have free. That's reason to go to My Computer and check C: drive. Can go with 500GB or 1TB.

Comment

Working...
                                X