Tile Labor/Installation Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile Labor/Installation Cost

My wife and I bought a foreclosure 5 years ago in Keller. We were foolish at that time when we basically refurbished the entire house inside-out, because we hand installed Black laminate wood.

Worst.Decision.Ever.

It shows hair, dog/child drool, even footprints.

So we have picked out wood-looking tile from Floor & Decor that is $1.49/sqft. I plan on buying the 1600 or so sqft we need for the job (including 10% overage)

What I am struggling on is the price to get it installed. My wife and I will do the following prep:

- Move all furniture from the work area (house will be split into two "work areas")
    - Remove all baseboards
    - Remove existing laminate flooring
    - Sweep/cleanup any debris

With all of this pre-work done, does anyone have any idea on the cost per sqft of just labor to install?

Anyone have any good recommendations? I have a budget of $3000 for just labor/installation with a $500 variance for slab issues (there are two areas that need to be floated)

Also, does anyone buy good condition but used laminate flooring? Obviously I will be discarding the cut/small pieces that cannot be re-used. I even have 4 or 5 boxes of new stuff in the attic.

Typical labor prices are in the 2.00 sqft range plus materials, but may get it a bit cheaper with that big a space. Are you providing all materials or just tile?
    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
      Typical labor prices are in the 2.00 sqft range plus materials, but may get it a bit cheaper with that big a space. Are you providing all materials or just tile?
      Just the tile. I figured I am probably not the best guy to decide what type or brand of thinset mortar to use. Plus they probably have a brand they like using best / get discounts on.

I just got a quote from the company that installed my granite counter tops (blew the competition away in quotes) and he said $3.00/sqft

I just can't afford that. I'm dreading the decision that I am leaning towards...I do it myself...my knees are already hurting.

Im not a perfectionist either, Im ok with "ok" work. This flooring we have now is a nightmare to keep clean. If you know someone that will do it for $2/sqft send me their info.

I do need two areas floated and a concrete "hump" in my bedroom ground down (its 3 inches high 3ft x 3ft section)

Comment

I would be concerned at $2/ft with oblong tiles. They almost always have a slight bow in them and if the installer doesn't know what they are doing, it will show. $3/ft sounds about right.

Buying all of the tile at once will save you from having tile shade variance if you do part now and part later. If its possible, I woyld split the job up, get done what you can now, do the rest later.

As for selling the old stuff, I'm sure you can find someone to buy it. Dark floors are popular right now, you should be able to find a flipper that will give you some $$ for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          I would be concerned at $2/ft with oblong tiles. They almost always have a slight bow in them and if the installer doesn't know what they are doing, it will show. $3/ft sounds about right.

Buying all of the tile at once will save you from having tile shade variance if you do part now and part later. If its possible, I woyld split the job up, get done what you can now, do the rest later.

As for selling the old stuff, I'm sure you can find someone to buy it. Dark floors are popular right now, you should be able to find a flipper that will give you some $$ for it

Yep, I planned on buying all 1600 sqft on their 12 months 0% interest and just storing in the garage. Good to know someone may buy the old laminate. Most of it is in great condition, some...not so much. Should I just list on craigslist? What would you think a good price for it would be (about 1000 sqft usable). Right now it's .99/sqft on lumber liquidators, but thats only if you find a store that carries it.

Comment

I would list it for .75 on the dollar and expect to take .50 on the dollar

What size are the tiles?

Comment

installed about 1400sq ft 6x24 wood porcelain tile. Looks great but doing diy you can see the bow in a few spots here and there. I got it super cheap and probably should have spent the money on the labor but the few people I talked to didn't have that much experience with that kind of tile and wanted $3 a sq ft.

any quote you get i'd ask for either a reference or pictures of previous jobs. Ask how they would get rid of the bow.

Comment

I paid $2.50/ sq foot to have it installed with me supplying thinset, grout, tile, and distilled water.

Prices have gone up since then. A friend in Gunter just paid $4/ft for 750-800 sq ft, in Gunter. They also didn't do a very good job, went several days beyond what they said it would take, and held up the rest of the construction. They had zero commitment to showing up on time and left early every day.

I would be extremely cautious of anyone quoting $2/ft.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  I would list it for .75 on the dollar and expect to take .50 on the dollar

What size are the tiles?

They aren't long, I stayed away from them specifically for that reason. 7 x 20 - sounds long but they are short compared to the stuff my wife wanted (48 inches)

I'm using Thumbtack.com and have received 4 bidders, and 2 quotes. One is at $3,200 and One is at $3,000 with me doing existing floor removal and them dealing with the floor
                  Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

They may not be too bad at that size. slight cupping can be remedied with an offset <50% and larger grout joints.

I do not envy you if you opt to install it yourself! I did our house when we first bought it. I did the kitchen, both bathrooms, and the entry. When we re-did our kitchen, I paid to have the tile laid and I grouted it. It was only about 160 sq ft, but my back just couldn't take it. The grouting damn near killed me. lol

I will be re-doing our entry at some point in the near future, and hope to be re-tiling the master bath as well, but we have to fit that in the budget. The master bath is the only part of the house that hasn't had a full remodel at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I paid $2.50/ sq foot to have it installed with me supplying thinset, grout, tile, and distilled water.

Prices have gone up since then. A friend in Gunter just paid $4/ft for 750-800 sq ft, in Gunter. They also didn't do a very good job, went several days beyond what they said it would take, and held up the rest of the construction. They had zero commitment to showing up on time and left early every day.

I would be extremely cautious of anyone quoting $2/ft.
                      I own a house in Gunter. It's damn near impossible to have people work "normal hours" there for any type of construction project. I end up doing stuff there myself most of the time for this reason. When I had someone do my stamped concrete patio project, it cost a fortune because no one wanted to come there.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                        They aren't long, I stayed away from them specifically for that reason. 7 x 20 - sounds long but they are short compared to the stuff my wife wanted (48 inches)

I'm using Thumbtack.com and have received 4 bidders, and 2 quotes. One is at $3,200 and One is at $3,000 with me doing existing floor removal and them dealing with the floor
                        id stay away from ceramic ones like that, they are loud and chip easily.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          I own a house in Gunter. It's damn near impossible to have people work "normal hours" there for any type of construction project. I end up doing stuff there myself most of the time for this reason. When I had someone do my stamped concrete patio project, it cost a fortune because no one wanted to come there.
                          If it's on over 10 acres, and you want to sell, let me know! I'm trying to get up that way, but inventory is low and what is on the market is listed well above market value.

I understand and agree with what you're saying. A little give and take is expected. If your day starts at 8, and you show up at 9-9:30, I can understand that. But when you say you'll be there @ 7am, and arrive at 1pm every day, and leave by 3; you are the problem, not the location. Besides... the guy was coming out of Little Elm or Aubrey, not South Dallas. The Owner of the company went on vacation, so his workers went and worked side jobs while they were on his dime. Once the Owner got back he got his ass ripped. Things went smoother once he got back, but they still did some shotty work, and the schedule was already blown and a week lost at that point. So too little, too late.

Oh, and if you have a good plumber pass along his info! Need one for some overhead gas work ASAP.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                            id stay away from ceramic ones like that, they are loud and chip easily.
                            I wanted porcelain but the "boards" are about double the thickness of ceramic and I'd have to undercut all of my door jambs again. As long as they get a nice thick universal coat of mortar/mastic on each plank, the noise should be minimal.

Comment

$2-2.50/ft is what I had seen previously. Definitely worth paying for. I wont tile again...ever

Comment

Working...
                              X