Electric motor hook up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motor hook up?

Looking for a motor for my 1940's Wade 8a lathe. 3hp, 3phase, totally enclosed fan, along with a few other requirements.
    Anyone have a hook up?
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

A post on http://owwm.org/ or checking the classifieds there might find what you need.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am looking for a contemporary motor. I have no desire to deal with trying to find a period correct motor, or deal with the size, weight, etc.
      Or, I'm making a huge assumption that owwm focuses on originality. If that's the case, let me know and I'll hit them up.
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

There are a lot of motor replacements with either new or vintage pieces there. A very popular mod is to use the old 3 phase motor with a VFD on single phase power. Lots of old machines running this way now with excellent results. This gains you precise speed control and infinitely variable speed without ever needing to change the gears on a lathe.

VFD info: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=320064

Does the motor that you have not work? Is repair an option? Lots of people have rebuilt the older motors.

Comment

I am a dealer for AO Smith motors. Find me a part number for what you need and I will get you a price.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

My lathe came with no motor. I refurbing it. And yes, your suggestion is the EXACT path I'm going. Wade's belt drive system is a Rube Goldberg device. I won't be trying to find those parts!!! 220v and VFD all the way!

Svo, I'm trying wrap my head around all the options. Once I have minimum requirements I'll hit you up for sure! Can you source VFDs too?

My Wade.

Comment

I've got an electric motor in my garage that I believe was from a small wood turning lathe. When I get back in town I'll try to find out exactly what it is, and post a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                I've got an electric motor in my garage that I believe was from a small wood turning lathe. When I get back in town I'll try to find out exactly what it is, and post a picture.
                Please, and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X