Outside WIFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside WIFI

I just switched over to Spectrum and their router does not extend as far outdoors as the ATT one.

I have only a 'fair' signal out to my Arbor which sits 82 feet from the router.
    I have a TV out there and want to stream from Roku

The question is should I upgrade the router or go with one of the mesh systems?

I've tried the cheaper Netgear extender (WN3000RPv3) to an outlet on the back porch which put it about 30' closer to Arbor but signal was still only 'fair' so it made no improvement over connecting directly to the router.

subscribing.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Not really an outside setup but I have a Netgear Orbi setup at home that extends pretty far out into the yard. I'm on 4 acres and it really surprised me how far it extended out into the yard. The way they have my cable modem setup, it's on one side of the house and their wireless router didn't reach out to the other end of the house. I tried extenders with mixed results. The Orbi setup has been the only thing that's worked consistently. They make an outdoor satellite but it's expensive. But I'm considering it.

Comment

One of the mesh systems should work fine as long as you keep the little access point out of the elements. I'm using one at my house and I've got one that stays on the back porch and it seems to be working fine after about well over a year of being out there. I just hung it up near the ceiling. It doesn't get sun or rain but it gets everything else and it's still going. (needed one out there for the large back porch/get togethers)
        WH

Comment

X's2 for above two post. This is my plan just cant get passed the price on these.

Comment

Hmmm...couple options here....

1. Could just put an AP near exterior of the house and put an external antenna up and see if that provides what you need (82' is not THAT far) - can research options via google and so on.

2. Best solution is the run cabling out to the location, then either use a cable from a switch to the TV/Roku or use an AP there. Then it's a sure thing.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Hmmm...couple options here....

1. Could just put an AP near exterior of the house and put an external antenna up and see if that provides what you need (82' is not THAT far) - can research options via google and so on.

I have one of these plus my router, and I can reach to the street in front of the house and beyond the back yard/sides. I have it configured as 2 networks although the AP works through the router and just has "EXT" in its name. Pretty easy to configure, and there are ZERO dead spots in our house.

Comment

Does the arbor have AC power that shares a breaker from the house that you could use an AC line powerline ethernet adapter? My garage is on the opposite end of my house from my router and I could barely get wifi to work on my shop computer. I bought a powerline ethernet adapter and it works like a charm.

Comment

I've got a netgear Nighthawk that serves a 4k sqft house, and has good signal to the back fence on a 1/3 acre lot, invest in a good router, put it relatively close to that back wall, and done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X