DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Mach1Run
WECSOG level: Apprentice

Default Which Brand AR?

So been shopping for a complete rifle, don't really wanna DIY it. Kinda narrowed it down to 3 choices and wondered what opinions / experience you folks have had.

Option 1 would be a used Olympic Arms, flip up rear sight, flat top upper, single mag. $699 ish.

Option 2 would be a new Del-Ton, http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbin...th16-moeod.htm comes with 2 mags, hard case, sling, cleaning kit, about $850 after pick up.

Option 3 would be a new Spikes Tactical, http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=387 about $830 after pick up.

I like the way the MOE style rifles feel so the DT rifle is my initial leaning since its already assembled with the furniture and I won't have to mess with it but a little concerned since I don't know anyone personally who owns one.

Not seen too much negative on Spikes but I would have to send more money to get the furniture I like.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
ALLAN
ramp rat

Spikes or Delton

Cheaper Delton:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...BLK&groupid=11

On the Spikes use the coupon code Arfcom at checkout.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
mustang_revival
Lifer

Gun showing coming up at Dallas Market hall. There will be plenty for you to check out there if you want.

mustang_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
HOOCBB
In a land without Canucks

My upper is a Del-ton...no complaints

Out of those three, I would stay away from Olympic Arms. They have been known in the past to be of poor quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Pony View Post
...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.
HOOCBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member

I'm going DIY on this next build, but only because I want what's not available off the shelf. Don't worry, that affliction will come.
YALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Musbrad2
Time Served

Check out classicarms.us you can get a pretty good deal from them.
Musbrad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Denny
American Luxury
VIP Member

I can only speak from experience. I've owned and used Colt and Bushmaster in the past with no complaints on several hundred, if not thousand rounds through each. I've just purchased a DPMS, but have had no shoot time with it... yet.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
DieselSmoke
One fool on a stool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTA2V View Post
My upper is a Del-ton...no complaints

Out of those three, I would stay away from Olympic Arms. They have been known in the past to be of poor quality.
My wife's AR is a del-ton upper on an Olympic lower. Never had any trouble out of it. Finish is crap but it shoots great.
You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.
DieselSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
DieselSmoke
One fool on a stool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I can only speak from experience. I've owned and used Colt and Bushmaster in the past with no complaints on several hundred, if not thousand rounds through each. I've just purchased a DPMS, but have had no shoot time with it... yet.
Bushmaster was my first Ar in 05. It never let me down. They were going for $699 a while back.
You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
HOOCBB
In a land without Canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSmoke View Post
My wife's AR is a del-ton upper on an Olympic lower. Never had any trouble out of it. Finish is crap but it shoots great.
I think the majority of the issues I've heard of were related to the upper in some way, but not 100% sure. I don't have in first hand experience with it so everything I say about them is hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Pony View Post
...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.
HOOCBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
CJ
User is editing post

I don't see how you can screw up an AR honestly. They are so easy to build anyone that screws it up must actually be retarded.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
TexasVert
Time Served

Quote:
"My wife's AR..." I love that!!! I should marry such a woman! My wife cannot understand my interest in more than just a few guns. I cannot imagine a woman with her own AR....
TexasVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Sleeper
cheesecake

I like my spikes due to the price but the finish blows compared to other companys.

Id like to build one of del-tons cheap 16inch m4's.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
TexasVert
Time Served

The AR is a gun I have not gotten to yet in collecting.

Can one make an AR be so configurable as to be a sniper rifle and also good for close combat with changing a small number of parts? Is the primary appeal the military look or the high magazine capacity? I mean a Browning semi-auto hunting rifle will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger and can be very accurate and is much prettier and can be in a much more formidible caliber.... So I am trying to understand the fundamental difference that makes them so popular. I remember I used to read the writings of the late Col Jeff Cooper who called the M16 and all its variants the "poodle shooter". LOL Apparently he did not think much of the 223 caliber....
TexasVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
DieselSmoke
One fool on a stool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVert View Post
"My wife's AR..." I love that!!! I should marry such a woman! My wife cannot understand my interest in more than just a few guns. I cannot imagine a woman with her own AR....
She also has a XD9, Bersa 380, Browning Silver semi auto 12g, Derringer 22 and a Mossberg Maverick 88 when daddy's not home, lol.

edit: besides the AR, all the others she bought herself.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
bottlerocket
Lifer

Quote:
She also has a XD9, Bersa 380, Browning Silver semi auto 12g, Derringer 22 and a Mossberg Maverick 88 when daddy's not home, lol.

edit: besides the AR, all the others she bought herself.
Does she have a sister?
bottlerocket is offline   Reply With Quote