DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
racrguy
Banned

Default Teaching kids about gun safety

So, I'm moving to PA and the friend I'm moving in with has a 6 year old little girl and I'm taking my shotgun with me. Obviously she's too small to take out shooting with it to show her just how deadly they are, but I'd like her to know what it is, and to keep her hands off of it. This isn't something I've run into before, she has NO experience with guns whatsoever. How would y'all go about doing it?
racrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
jones4stangs
Punk Ass Newbie

Any kinds of locks involved? Loaded or unloaded?
jones4stangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member

Shotguns are easy to lock out. Put a cable lock through the action. Then go buy her a cricket .22, a lock, a cleaning kit, earmuff hearing protection, shooting glasses, and a brick of cheap ammo, and teach her to shoot.
YALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
racrguy
Banned

That's another issue I'm faced with, how to have the gun loaded and ready to chamber and easily accessible by an adult, yet not where a child can get to it. As it stands the gun will be unloaded because of a lack of a safe/trigger lock. Which would be better in y'alls opinion? This is the only firearm in the house so it's the main defense weapon.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
David
Lifer

My dad told me that these are for killing. Dont play with it.

All it took.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Moose242
Cruisin' USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Shotguns are easy to lock out. Put a cable lock through the action. Then go buy her a cricket .22, a lock, a cleaning kit, earmuff hearing protection, shooting glasses, and a brick of cheap ammo, and teach her to shoot.
This.
Moose242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
GrayStangGT
Lifer

I haven't really seen anything that is quick access and keeps a shotgun locked up. However if you've got a pistol look into getting a gun vault, its probably the fastest way to have access to a loaded pistol while keeping it locked up from kids.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...ni-deluxe.html

If it was your own kid I would say just teach her good gun safety and emphasize the destructive nature of a gun, but with someone elses kid I would keep it locked.
GrayStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
racrguy
Banned

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to show it to her and explain to her what it is. Now, off to find a breech lock for a semi auto shotty.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Machx2
That's what she said

Hide it in the top of a closet and keep your room locked?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
BlackSnake
Lifer

Best thing to do in my opinion is to keep your guns PUT UP and LOCKED. To start off with, take her out and shoot a watermelon up close. Kids need visuals sometimes.

I had told my kids when they were little one's that if I ever caught them trying to get at one of my guns that I would give then the ass whooping of their lives. Of course this is not your kid, so keep them put away.

My kids are grown and I have tough them as best as I knew how, and I still teach them to this day. You just cant be careful enough with guns. Its hard to get a second chance after a accident with them.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
2000 vert
Lifer

I did what my dad did with me. Make sure the child knows the gun is there, what it can do, and assume they are all loaded. Teach them about guns and they will know better.
2000 vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
EW
12 Volt Pusher
VIP Member

NRA has Eddie Eagle program. I have not seen it so I don't know what the content is but it is a child safety program.
EW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
HarrisonTX
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machx2 View Post
Hide it in the top of a closet and keep your room locked?
I'm against hiding.

Let her play with it all she wants.

Hear me out on this.

If she is curious, she will ask about it, as most kids would.
Teach her about it, and let her get the curiosity out.
If its hidden, and she finds it, or she sees it and is curious about it, she will play with it on her own. Let her get the curiousness out while you're around, and in a controlled environment.

Every time she comes and says "uncle racrguy, can i see the shotgun" you've just gotta drop what you're doing, and let her see it.

A locked gun is a club. I dont see the point in even having a shotgun for home defense if you're going to lock it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member

Sean, don't forget to register over at forum.pafoa.org. That's a great board, with a ton of knowledge. You may want some of the ins and outs of PA law, regarding guns in the same home as a child. This is a pretty liberal state when it comes to gun laws (for the area), but the flip side of the coin is, there still isn't a big gun culture, and the cops are fucking twitchy about firearms violations. They move fast. One guy with a CHL went to a continuing education class at a tech center (not a public school), left his gun in the car, and got arrested for having a gun on school property. He told a classmate, and they called 911. Don't draw attention to yourself as a gun owner if you don't have to.
YALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
0 GT 2
3rd WS is a charm.

When I first was around guns as a kid we brought sheetrock out to a field and I watched it get tore up. Did the trick for me. Clean the gun with her and be sure to reiterate to always treat the gun like it's loaded.

Most kids mess with guns because they know they're not supposed to and curiosity. Just be up front and things should be okay.
0 GT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #16
BlackSnake
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX View Post
Let her play with it all she wants.
"play" and "guns" don't mix. Especially when we are talking about kids full of curiosity.

He let me play with it yesterday. Oh well, he wont mind
Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
Roger
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake View Post
"play" and "guns" don't mix. Especially when we are talking about kids full of curiosity.

He let me play with it yesterday. Oh well, he wont mind
Play isn't the best wording. I've seen this suggested on several firearm specific forums. If the child wants to see a gun they will let them but take the opertunity to teach and reinforce gun safety.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
BlackSnake
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Play isn't the best wording. I've seen this suggested on several firearm specific forums. If the child wants to see a gun they will let them but take the opertunity to teach and reinforce gun safety.
Agreed to a point anyways, but here's the deal in this case. He is to be a visitor in this home. This is not something that you can just teach a kid over a few months or so. This is something that needs to be taught by the parents for a life time. A way of life in the home if you will.

Take them to the range and find something they can shoot like a .22. Show them how to shoot, clean and respect the gun. Take them on hunting trips. First only you carry till they get the hang of it The list goes on and on, but to let them see the gun every time they ask and you just being a visitor is only asking the child to be curious. Curious George is a danger with guns around.

Its a way of life, not amusement.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
Roger
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake View Post
Agreed to a point anyways, but here's the deal in this case. He is to be a visitor in this home. This is not something that you can just teach a kid over a few months or so. This is something that needs to be taught by the parents for a life time. A way of life in the home if you will.
I agree 100%. My comment was more a general statement about gunowners with curious children and not this specific case. As a visitor this is something that really needs to be discused with the parents.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
ceyko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
there still isn't a big gun culture
I was going to argue, but you generally have a point. Nearly everyone in PA I know (which is a fair amount since that's where I was born and have a lot of family there) uses their weapons to kill for hunting or rabid/animals animals/reptiles. The shotguns are in the bedroom, but guns are not high on anyone's priority list. (There are still a lot of folks who love them, in fact on thehighroad.org I do a lot of accessory deals with people from PA)

One thing is for sure, talk with the parent(s) of the child and see what THEY WANT. Their kid, I'm making an assumption it is their place so it should be by their rules.

Where in PA are you moving?
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote