What’s your favorite motor oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
    Too many YouTube tests placing Wally World SuperTech on par and even above name brand shit. For $15 you get 5 quarts of synthetic and I haven’t had issues.
    You beat me to it.

Supertech Full Synthetic all the way. I change my 200K mile Cavalier at 3000 miles and it still runs like butter.

I have stopped using Fram filters though, I use OEM Toyota in my Yota's and SuperTech or Wix in the DD's

Comment

Mobil 1 seems to work good for me has for 20 yrs

Comment

5-Quart Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil $16.25 + Free Store Pickup

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...knU2lRhyXiGxg0

Saw this thread and then saw slickdeals with the sale.

Comment

It comes up as $19.10 for me? Still a good deal vs $25.47 for 5 of Mobile 1.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

How often are you Supertech guys changing your oil though? I get the Royal purple 10k mile filter to go with the oil. I don't like the inconvenience of oil changes, which is another reason I'll (eventually) be gladly switching to an electric car for a daily.

Longest I have direct experience with: A friend has an 05 F150 he bought new. He's also been running Royal Purple at 10k mile intervals. Truck has over 300k miles on it. Seems to be doing fine. He changes his own oil though, and keeps meticulous records of it in this little book he keeps in the glove box. His dad is the same way.

So I'd be curious to see how that stacks up against your Supertech, in terms of inconvenience of more oil changes, and the cost of more oil changes. Personally I'll pay more money for more convenience almost every time.

Off topic, cool story bro - He's going to try to stretch that 05 F150 to 2025. At which point he'll just buy yet another brand new truck. But he doesn't have a wife or kids (cause he doesn't want em lol) and he's already got the fucking money to buy the new truck outright. lawl
            Last edited by Gasser64; 12-18-2019, 04:19 PM.
            WH

Comment

Every 5K miles, regardless of oil type.

Comment

I still do my own oil changes but it's not as much fun as it used to be. The Mustangs I change every 5,000, the Chrysler every 6,000 and the Honda when the oil life minder gets down to about 10% (usually around 7,000). Change the filter every time of course, and prefer to use OEM filters.

Comment

mobil 1 when I do it myself. When I first started driving, I used Castrol in everything. When I got my second vehicle, it had 40K miles on it (2.2L S10) and I switched to mobil 1 and have used nothing but that in everything I drive. That S10 had the head pulled at 175K miles for what I thought was a burned valve. My mechanic said the engine looked damn good for the milage.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Costco now had kirkland signature synthetic for 24.99 for 10qts.
                    2006 Civic SI
                    2009 Pilot
                    1988 GT
                    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I run Rotella T6 5w40 in the mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                        I’ll be trying that next, that’s crazy cheap!
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                          Man that's essentially a 2fer1 oil deal. Has anyone done reviews on it and it's content/detergents?

As for the question on intervals:

1966 Mustang - Once a year (I only put 500 miles on it a year - if I am lucky)
                          2007 Tundra - Every 3,000 (used solely to Tow camper / haul stuff) - That being said, it only gets 1500-2000 miles put on it a year
                          2008 MDX - When Acura maintenance minder tells me to, usually right at or over 5,000 miles
                          2014 Scion tC - Just rebuilt this car and will be doing 5,000 w/full synthetic.

As far as cheapo oil vs Royal Purple. Maybe I have my dad's reasoning/old school blood in me, but I don't feel confident in oil being a trustworthy lubricating substance past 5,000 miles. He tells me the horror stories of the 60's to 70's and you couldn't trust oil past 3,000 miles and cars (other than their hatchback Civic) wore out before 100K.

Obviously times/materials/technology have changed, but why risk it past 5? It's $15 and 30 minutes of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                            As far as cheapo oil vs Royal Purple. Maybe I have my dad's reasoning/old school blood in me, but I don't feel confident in oil being a trustworthy lubricating substance past 5,000 miles. He tells me the horror stories of the 60's to 70's and you couldn't trust oil past 3,000 miles and cars (other than their hatchback Civic) wore out before 100K.

Obviously times/materials/technology have changed, but why risk it past 5? It's $15 and 30 minutes of your time.
                            This right here, I never go past 5k-7k miles, even using synthetic. I'm sure GRAPE can confirm what a mechanic/truck series driver once told me. He had a NASTRUCK and trans am race car, he was changing the oil after a race and the the oil was clean looking, I was like, you can't get another race out of it, your oil looks new (dual oil filter set up), he was like don't let the looks fool you, its been broken down, the filters are keeping it clean looking. That race motor is expensive and oil is cheap. He only used Valvoline too...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Change every 3k using conventional.

I hear all the arguements its too soon but I don't care its my money.

I love my cars and fresh oil just makes me feel better.
                              Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
                                Change every 3k using conventional.

I hear all the arguements its too soon but I don't care its my money.

I love my cars and fresh oil just makes me feel better.
                                I am bad about not changing my. Sometimes, it will go over 10k and once over 15k. However, I do use full synthetic so that I don't have to change it as often and it doesn't break down as fast. I have had several cars with over 300k miles and none of them had any engine issues like smoking or using oil. My 95 Toyota has 444k and it doesn't smoke or use much oil between changes.

20 years ago, I was sold on synthetic when I accidentally discovered that it would stick to the metal overnight and not drip off. I had changed the oil in my push mower the night before and when I checked it the next morning before mowing, it showed up real high on the dipstick. I thought I had overfilled it somehow, but was sure that I hadn't. Then, I realized it was from moving the mower around the night before and it never slid off of the dipstick.

Comment

Working...
                                X