Apparently I need to calm the F down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
    Dang man! If you don't already have one, get a home BP monitor. Omron is a good brand, and not too much $$$. Check sitting and standing, and log it!
    Picked one up the next day, Now I just need to remember to check it. I was 140/96 last night before bed. I really want to get these numbers down. But I'm also hoping I can do it without meds, but its looking like it may be the other way.
    I'm 37 years old and am having to deal with the fact that I really haven't prepped myself for life after 40. I still feel like I think and act like I'm 17.

Comment

As one approaches 70, it slips to felling like 25.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
        Picked one up the next day, Now I just need to remember to check it. I was 140/96 last night before bed. I really want to get these numbers down. But I'm also hoping I can do it without meds, but its looking like it may be the other way.
        I'm 37 years old and am having to deal with the fact that I really haven't prepped myself for life after 40. I still feel like I think and act like I'm 17.
        man, I was questionable on BP, and my doc wanted me to check it after 15 mins of sitting. It was normal (120ish/70something) . The meds made me sweat profusely, so I couldnt take it. I lost 45lbs and it's been solid since. Oddly, 2 different docs didnt mention losing 20lbs as a possible solution.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          man, I was questionable on BP, and my doc wanted me to check it after 15 mins of sitting. It was normal (120ish/70something) . The meds made me sweat profusely, so I couldnt take it. I lost 45lbs and it's been solid since. Oddly, 2 different docs didnt mention losing 20lbs as a possible solution.
          I think a lot of doctors have quit trying on the weight loss.. lol. I used to hear it on every visit (weight and smoking, actually) but my last two PCP's haven't even bothered.

Of course, I quit smoking 4 years ago, and had a nuclear stress test that I passed with flying colors, so that may be why too.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            Originally posted by Chili View Post
            I think a lot of doctors have quit trying on the weight loss.. lol. I used to hear it on every visit (weight and smoking, actually) but my last two PCP's haven't even bothered.

Of course, I quit smoking 4 years ago, and had a nuclear stress test that I passed with flying colors, so that may be why too.
            It's harder to monetize a healthy person who never comes to see them.

Comment

You may consider completely quitting the caffeine. I run a lot and last November was getting pain in my side and tingling in my hands after running. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was the caffeine. I was only drinking two cups of coffee and a soda or two a day and it was way, way too much for me. I read about how it is metabolized in the liver and some people don't metabolize it fast. It can build up in your system. I now only drink decaf coffee with sometimes a splash of the real thing. All is well. A side effect of quitting it is that I sleep like I am dead.

I ran the half marathon in the Dallas marathon on December 15th in under two hours. I went to see a cardiologist recently to make sure there isn't a real problem. This was on January 2nd after two weeks of Christmas drinking and eating and not doing a damn thing. I was up a solid ten pounds and my BP was about 128/82 and he starts in with a story about how I need to be on BP meds. These guys love to sell their shit. Not a mention of losing weight, modifying diet, etc. I'm going to go back on February 12th for a stress test and that ten pounds will be gone. We'll see what he says. I have been tracking my BP since that visit and it is rarely over 125/75, sometimes as low as 115/62.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

As your close personal friend, I say:

Ditch the gut fatass. Do whatever it takes but get rid of it and keep it off. That's where nearly all of these problems stem from - the habits that support the gut's existence. In order to get rid of it you'll have to abandon them and adopt new ones. Once that happened, you'd pass all the doc's "tests". No more diabeetus and morbidly high blood pressure for you.
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  You may consider completely quitting the caffeine. I run a lot and last November was getting pain in my side and tingling in my hands after running. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was the caffeine. I was only drinking two cups of coffee and a soda or two a day and it was way, way too much for me. I read about how it is metabolized in the liver and some people don't metabolize it fast. It can build up in your system. I now only drink decaf coffee with sometimes a splash of the real thing. All is well. A side effect of quitting it is that I sleep like I am dead.

I ran the half marathon in the Dallas marathon on December 15th in under two hours. I went to see a cardiologist recently to make sure there isn't a real problem. This was on January 2nd after two weeks of Christmas drinking and eating and not doing a damn thing. I was up a solid ten pounds and my BP was about 128/82 and he starts in with a story about how I need to be on BP meds. These guys love to sell their shit. Not a mention of losing weight, modifying diet, etc. I'm going to go back on February 12th for a stress test and that ten pounds will be gone. We'll see what he says. I have been tracking my BP since that visit and it is rarely over 125/75, sometimes as low as 115/62.
                  I'm caffeine free since the new year. Quitting drinking has been a little harder. I and down to one or two nights a week, and limit myself to 3 drinks. Since doing this my tolerance to the hooch has dropped substantially. before the new year it took 5 or 6 drinks to get me feeling no pain. Now after 2 I'm feeling it. I'm aiming for only drinking only on special occasions. I feel better these days with out the caffeine and less drinking. I'm also eating right again and I really need to find some time to exercise.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  As your close personal friend, I say:

Ditch the gut fatass. Do whatever it takes but get rid of it and keep it off. That's where nearly all of these problems stem from - the habits that support the gut's existence. In order to get rid of it you'll have to abandon them and adopt new ones. Once that happened, you'd pass all the doc's "tests". No more diabeetus and morbidly high blood pressure for you.
                  I'm working on un-fatting my ass. lol

Comment

I can echo how immediately caffeine and weight gain will bump BP, perceived stress, as well as diminishing sense of well-being. I'm right behind BJ with the holiday weight gain, in that I haven't even started losing it yet, nor have I been to the gym in 2020, and my BP is up over 10 points as monitored weekly by a GP (no electronic monitor variance).

It will drop immediately after my first workout of the year, if only slightly, and will continue to fall as the weight comes off. Exactly as I experienced last year, and this is without modulating caffeine consumption. I did also drop the caffeine a few times throughout the year, and felt even better when doing so.

I share this to say that cutting coffee and energy drinks is the easy part, and I don't think that alone will get you back on track. You also need to take a serious look at your diet and exercise regimen, as you get older any extra weight has a more pronounced effect on an aging cardiovascular system. Your joints will thank you too.

Comment

But I'm also hoping I can do it without meds, but its looking like it may be the other way.

Fix your diet, lose weight, and start exercising before you resort to meds - they have a hell of an impact on you and you’ll be sluggish and tired and useless for 6-9 months after starting them. You don’t want them if you can avoid them.

I have genetics working against me - my dad had heart disease when he was in his mid-40s and eventually died of a heart attack. My dads father also had heart disease and died early. It is no surprise to me that it’s hit me as well, so I have no choice but to take the meds to help stave it off.

The meds absolutely flatted me for most of a year - I’m just now getting my energy back.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                        Fix your diet, lose weight, and start exercising before you resort to meds - they have a hell of an impact on you and you’ll be sluggish and tired and useless for 6-9 months after starting them. You don’t want them if you can avoid them.

I have genetics working against me - my dad had heart disease when he was in his mid-40s and eventually died of a heart attack. My dads father also had heart disease and died early. It is no surprise to me that it’s hit me as well, so I have no choice but to take the meds to help stave it off.

The meds absolutely flatted me for most of a year - I’m just now getting my energy back.
                        That sucks man. Best of luck with all that. good job being proactive too.

Comment

My blood pressure was high a few years ago and I quit smoking and drinking and it dropped significantly.. I could still stand to drop the caffeine.. I drink way too much coffee.. at least I ditched the energy drinks

I still drink 3-4 sodas a week (I used to drink 2-3 a day).. I’ve found that flavored seltzer water helps curb my soda cravings a lot

I could stand to stop eating candy too but I fucking love that shit! Lol
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Damn, we are old as hell. Lol

Comment

Personally no, but you are supposed to. I fpv very little and just use little 25 milliwatt transmitters.

I don't do anything long range or high output. Though I would like to one day.
                              Originally posted by garycrist View Post
                              Getting old is for tough people!
                              Get you license it is a piece of cake!

DE KI6FG
                              Passed my test today....it was pretty easy but pretty dumb to require it for FPV. There should just he a test specifically for what frequencies to stay off, power limitations and how not to interfere with important shit. That test should also be online and 5 minutes tops.

Of all the things that can go wrong, interference using common FPV frequencies is damn near the bottom of the severity list when it comes to any FPV.

The people in there seemed to be taking it for things far more important than me...like emergency and disaster preparedness. Not that I cant use my drone and FPV cars and boats for that...but they're all going to be 5.8 ghz, 2.4 ghz and maybe 900MHz or 1.3 Ghz.

Comment

Working...
                              X