Ancestory.com anyone ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
    Anyone used it, did you think it was worth the cost ?

So I was thinking of using Ancestory.com to try moms side.
    Thanks
    My mom was adopted and due to the laws at the time she didn't know any info about her birth parents. Ancestry and little research helped her find her 4 half sisters and and several first cousins by dna. But sometimes the lack of data and laws make discover almost impossible, Like my mom will probably never know the name of her real birth father.

I used to discover my dad's family migrated over before the revolutionary war and helped fight in it.

I also did the DNA screening and liked discovering that history. They've updated and refind the data 3 times now and its interesting to see the changes that happen. I was disappointed that the screening did not include any health info, which is now a new service they offer.

A big cavet is that you get what you give. if you dont put any effort in you wont get many results

Comment

I think there's some kind of family "secret" about adoption or illegitimate kid on moms side, but I think it was my aunt. Theres something there. I regret not asking more when she was alive.
      I talked to my blood uncles widow last night. She said they tried ancestry.com a few years back and didn't find anything on his side. Again, another weird dead end.
      Lesson for you guys, ask questions while your folks are alive. Your family heritage may not seem that important today, but as you get older you may be interested.

Comment

no thanks

Comment

whoever mentioned www.findagrave.com, I did a few searches and ended up finding pictures of my great grandparents - my Dad's dad's parents. Pretty cool, though that's as far as I went with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
            whoever mentioned www.findagrave.com, I did a few searches and ended up finding pictures of my great grandparents - my Dad's dad's parents. Pretty cool, though that's as far as I went with it.
            I was AMAZED at what I found there. It links to other family members as well. That site gave me everything on my dads side in like 2 minutes. I was in Pennsylvania (where we grew up) in September. I used the site and visited every grave with ease.

Comment

Was it all free info on findagrave?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                Was it all free info on findagrave?
                Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  I think there's some kind of family "secret" about adoption or illegitimate kid on moms side, but I think it was my aunt. Theres something there. I regret not asking more when she was alive.
                  I talked to my blood uncles widow last night. She said they tried ancestry.com a few years back and didn't find anything on his side. Again, another weird dead end.
                  Lesson for you guys, ask questions while your folks are alive. Your family heritage may not seem that important today, but as you get older you may be interested.
                  I moved appartments in the same complex, and the new manager moved into my old one. He handed me some mail that was missdelivered to my old box, and asked if I was related to someone. I said i was, that he was my grandfather's brother. He said "yeah, mine too"

I was not aware that my grandfather had 3 brothers. It had been a family secret for decades.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    I moved appartments in the same complex, and the new manager moved into my old one. He handed me some mail that was missdelivered to my old box, and asked if I was related to someone. I said i was, that he was my grandfather's brother. He said "yeah, mine too"

I was not aware that my grandfather had 3 brothers. It had been a family secret for decades.
                    That's wild.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                      She chose not to do the test ... and just accepted that he was her dad.
                      So many people do this kind of thing. Never understood why. Family will often expect certain special treatment or favors. I want to know if someone is actually related to me or not.

Especially when it comes to kids. How many times have you heard about some woman that showed up claiming that her little kid was this guy's kid. The guy likes the idea of having a family, and so he just accepts it. Fuuuuck that lol. You at least gotta do the test so you know she's not just trying to con you into helping her take care of the kid.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        So many people do this kind of thing. Never understood why. Family will often expect certain special treatment or favors. I want to know if someone is actually related to me or not.

Especially when it comes to kids. How many times have you heard about some woman that showed up claiming that her little kid was this guy's kid. The guy likes the idea of having a family, and so he just accepts it. Fuuuuck that lol. You at least gotta do the test so you know she's not just trying to con you into helping her take care of the kid.
                        You're on a different page than what I mentioned about my wife. The convo was about her finding her "real" dad, not some chick trying to find a baby daddy to pay child support. She wasn't looking for some sort of financial gain by finding her birth father. She just decided to call it done after having looked for him for most of her life. Only she can say why.

Comment

Yeah I realized she was already a grown woman from what you said. But I've just seen it happen to friends (and acquaintances) over the years, some woman appears out of nowhere saying it's the guy's kid. The dumbass then proceeds to take her word for it, and look butthurt when someone suggests getting a dna test lol
                          WH

Comment

I won't send anything in to those places because you have no guarantee of how the information will be used in the future.

Also, the funniest part of this whole DNA testing thing is how many people find out that women are some cheating whores. There is page after page of groups on Facebook for people who found out that their dad is not who it was supposed to be.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              I won't send anything in to those places because you have no guarantee of how the information will be used in the future.

Also, the funniest part of this whole DNA testing thing is how many people find out that women are some cheating whores. There is page after page of groups on Facebook for people who found out that their dad is not who it was supposed to be.
                              My grandfather recently found out that who he thought was his father actually isn't. It took a DNA test and like 90 years to confirm that one. It also confirmed that his first daughter wasnt his...he knew that but she didnt until DNA tests became so popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                                My grandfather recently found out that who he thought was his father actually isn't. It took a DNA test and like 90 years to confirm that one. It also confirmed that his first daughter wasnt his...he knew that but she didnt until DNA tests became so popular.
                                I've seen all kinds of crazy shit on there. The funniest one though is one where some 30 year old chick found out that her uncle on her dad's side was her father. I bet Thanksgiving was fun that year!
                                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X