Project thunderturd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project thunderturd.

Been kicking around this idea ever since I had my super coupe. I am finally putting it into action. The idea here is to get a 12 second thunderbird for under $2500. Also going to change the color, haven't decided on it yet. Sitting on two corvette colors, millennium yellow and bright aqua metallic. Time to meet the cast.

1997 Ford thunderbird LX. 4.6L 2V runs good, but the trans is missing all forward gears. It's a perfect canvas for my plan.

The donor car. 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. This thing is clapped out beyond words, body damage, paint damage, fucked interior. Has some serious upside though, in addition to a good running B headed motor, it has the aluminum rear pumpkin, one piece driveshaft, and a nice brake kit on it. Was going to use the transmisison, but reverse died on the way home from austin, just my damned luck.

So the plan here is to go through the DOHC motor, hone, new rings and bearings, window switch for the IMRC's. Maybe Cobra cams and intake if I can find them cheap enough. Going with a nice stall converter in the transmission, haven't decided on stall yet, probably a 3000. I would like to put LT headers in, but that is a pipe dream on this chassis. Then I am going to put this bastard on a diet, the DOHC will save some weight, as will the pumpkin and driveshaft. Will look at other weight loss options as I go. I will see where that gets me, and if I have to, I will spray my way to that 12 second pass.

I do have a second plan, which involves a TR3650 out of an S197, but I still haven't decided. Going to sell/crush as many parts as I can to recoup money. I have to keep it pretty cheap in case I ever decide to sell it, not much market for an MN12 thunderbird.
    Last edited by JC316; 10-14-2016, 11:39 AM.

The biggest problem with the Thunderbird is the weight. I have a completely gutted 1989 Supercoupe and it still weighs 3,120 lbs. with me in it.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      The biggest problem with the Thunderbird is the weight. I have a completely gutted 1989 Supercoupe and it still weighs 3,120 lbs. with me in it.
      I agree. 3700lbs is pretty accurate for a 4.6L based car. According to sullivan, the DOHC engine weighs 75lbs less than the 2V, so I think I can shave at least 100lbs off with the engine/driveshaft/pumpkin. Useless crap like the spare tire, exhaust resonator, giant mufflers, etc should be another 100lbs. With lighter wheels and anything else I can find, I should be able to get the car down to 3450ish. That's a little bit more reasonable.

If I can get the weight close to that, I should be running into the 13's.

Comment

Following this one. I have an 85 waiting in the wings when I finish this 55..

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          I agree. 3700lbs is pretty accurate for a 4.6L based car. According to sullivan, the DOHC engine weighs 75lbs less than the 2V, so I think I can shave at least 100lbs off with the engine/driveshaft/pumpkin. Useless crap like the spare tire, exhaust resonator, giant mufflers, etc should be another 100lbs. With lighter wheels and anything else I can find, I should be able to get the car down to 3450ish. That's a little bit more reasonable.

Here is the problem with lighter wheels, they are 5 X 4.25" pattern, not the same as the mustang 5 X 4.5" pattern. If you want to use mustang wheels you'll need mustang hubs to add to the front and back. It is bullshit. These cars suck in a whole lot of ways.
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

If I recall correctly the brake calipers are cast iron and there are aluminum versions that are a direct swap. That alone will save you nearly 25lbs on the front. If you have a mini style starter you can get away with using a Miata battery and that save 35lbs. I recall the rear lower control arms being cast iron and nearly 60lbs each. Is there an alloy version out there that could save some weight?

On my old SVO I went crazy pulling weight even to the point of finding the lightest tires. There was a Dunlop that was OE for some model of Porsche that did not use steel belting and it came in at 6lbs per tire lighter then anything else that I could find.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
              Following this one. I have an 85 waiting in the wings when I finish this 55..
              Nice. I know you've been looking for one to mod, ever since that anniversary car that I bought from you.

Here is the problem with lighter wheels, they are 5 X 4.25" pattern, not the same as the mustang 5 X 4.5" pattern. If you want to use mustang wheels you'll need mustang hubs to add to the front and back. It is bullshit. These cars suck in a whole lot of ways.
              Oh I know. I ran into a lot of these issues with my 92 SC. Fronts are easy, it's the rears that are a bitch.

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              If I recall correctly the brake calipers are cast iron and there are aluminum versions that are a direct swap. That alone will save you nearly 25lbs on the front. If you have a mini style starter you can get away with using a Miata battery and that save 35lbs. I recall the rear lower control arms being cast iron and nearly 60lbs each. Is there an alloy version out there that could save some weight?

On my old SVO I went crazy pulling weight even to the point of finding the lightest tires. There was a Dunlop that was OE for some model of Porsche that did not use steel belting and it came in at 6lbs per tire lighter then anything else that I could find.
              I will look into that. The Mark VIII might have lighter versions of that stuff.

Comment

Day 1 complete, I had to quit early. Got all the fluids drained, radiator/overflow tank/hoses out, exhaust out, power steering pump out, and 90% of the electrical and vacuum lines. Forgot how fucking heavy the midpipe is on a Mark VIII, nearly whacked me in the dome when it broke loose. Has to weigh 45lbs minimum. Next stop is motor/trans mounts and then pull the engine.

Comment

cool deal. I miss my 88tc. Though every time I think about getting another one I remember that my ranger is only like 2700lb.

Comment

I will look into that. The Mark VIII might have lighter versions of that stuff.
                    The Mark VIII lower arms are aluminum.

Comment

Day 2 got a lot done. Got the engine/transmission/driveshaft out of the car. Just need the brakes and rear pumpkin off from the donor and it's good for the scrap yard.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        I recall the rear lower control arms being cast iron and nearly 60lbs each. Is there an alloy version out there that could save some weight?
                        The Mark VIII lower arms are aluminum.
                        Both of you are correct. Got the Mark stripped of all parts that I need today. I am impressed at how incredibly light the aftermarket rotors are. Glad they were on the Mark, going to get rid of a good chunk of rotational weight.

Going to strip off anything of value on the Mark tomorrow and load it on the trailer. If anyone needs a part for a Mark, let me know.

Comment

Whats left of the poor Mark.

Comment

Whoever said that Mark VIII's were porkers clearly never stripped one down. No engine, no trans, no rear subframe, no struts, no driveshaft, no wheels, full interior, full glass = 2100lbs at the crusher. Pull the interior and glass out of that thing and it's probably at 1600lbs, do a solid axle conversion, tubular K member and an LS1. Could be a bad mofo.

Comment

Whoever said that Mark VIII's were porkers clearly never stripped one down. No engine, no trans, no rear subframe, no struts, no driveshaft, no wheels, full interior, full glass = 2100lbs at the crusher. Pull the interior and glass out of that thing and it's probably at 1600lbs, do a solid axle conversion, tubular K member and an LS1. Could be a bad mofo.
                              When I stripped the 91 T-Bird for the wagon I pulled the motor, trans, harness, cooling system, fuel system, IRS, and wheels and it came in just over 2000lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X