Rolling Stone Mag Places Terrorist on August Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Stone Mag Places Terrorist on August Cover

Hey Rolling Stone, your anti-Americanism is showing.

Rolling Stone’s decision to put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover has ignited a firestorm of outrage online.

---------------

New York (CNN) -- Rolling Stone magazine's decision to put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the accused Boston Marathon bomber, on the cover of its latest issue has ignited a firestorm of outrage online.

The cover picture is one that Tsarnaev himself posted online and has been published widely by other media outlets in the past.

But many took exception to its prominent play in Rolling Stone, where the space is more often than not reserved for rock stars and celebrities.

Suspect pleads not guilty

"Oh look, Rolling Stone magazine is glamourizing terrorism. Awesome," Adrienne Graham commented on the magazine's Facebook page. "I will NOT be buying this issue, or any future issues,"

Others echoed similar sentiments.

Robel Phillipos, a U.S. citizen, was also arrested on May 1. He has been charged with lying to federal agents about the bombing, according to court papers.

Phillipos, Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev are accused of removing items from Tsarnaev's dorm room after the April 15 bombings. The items they took included a backpack containing fireworks that had been "opened and emptied of powder," according to the affidavit.

Kadybayev, left, poses with Dzhokhar Tsamaev in a picture taken from the social media site VK.com.

The FBI released photos and video on April 18 of two men identified as Suspect 1 and Suspect 2 in the deadly bombings at the Boston Marathon. They were later identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.

Authorities say Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, identified as Suspect 2, was captured in a Boston suburb on April 19 after a manhunt that shut down the city.

Police say the dead suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is the man the FBI identified as Suspect 1. He was killed during the shootout with police in Watertown, Massachusetts, early April 19. He is pictured here at the 2010 New England Golden Gloves.

Boston Police released surveillance images of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at a convenience store on April 19.

The FBI tweeted this photo on April 19 and urged Watertown residents to stay indoors as they searched for the second suspect.

The FBI released photos and video on April 18 of two men it called suspects in the deadly bombings and pleaded for public help in identifying them. The men were photographed walking together near the finish line.

A man identified as Suspect 2 appeared in this photograph by bystander David Green, who took the photo after completing the Boston Marathon. Green submitted the photo to the FBI, he told Piers Morgan in an interview.

The man identified as Suspect 2 appears in a tighter crop of David Green's photo.

Authorities later identified Suspect 1 as Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

Suspect 2 was identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Words such as "tasteless," "sickening" and "disgusting" flew around social media.

The photo shows a scraggy-haired, goatee-d Tsarnaev staring straight at the camera.

The text reads: "The Bomber. How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster."

The magazine says the article itself is a deeply-researched account of the suspect.

Among the revelations:

-- A public plea from his former wrestling coach may have ultimately convinced Tsarnaev to surrender when police surrounded the boat in which he was hiding.

-- He played down the fact that he was a Muslim in high school. But he also took his religion seriously.

-- He once let slip to a friend that the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks could be justified because of U.S. policies toward Muslim countries.

The issue hits newsstands on August 3.

Parents of suspect share phone call with son

But the magazine's Facebook post of the cover image has received more than 4,700 comments by early Wednesday morning.

"What a slap in the face to the great city of Boston and the Marathon Bombing victims," commented Lindsey Williamson.

The cover also brought out comments from the "Free Jahar" movement. (Dzohkhar is also spelled Jahar.)

"#BoycottRollingStone calling Djahar a monster and stirring the pot even more shame on you! Innocent until PROVEN guilty," tweeted @Jahars_Tsarnaev.

CNN has reached out to Rolling Stone for comment, but has not received a response.

Authorities accuse brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev of setting off a pair of bombs just seconds apart near the finish line of the packed Boston Marathon course on Boylston Street on April 15.

Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed four days later in a shootout with police.

Younger brother Dzhokhar was captured and charged with 30 federal counts stemming from the attack.

Last week, he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

So Edgy.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
      So Edgy.
      So "edgy" in fact, that they're "on the bus with Willie Nelson"? Let me guess...rolling a blunt and reminiscing with 'ol Willie? LOL! That was a story 30+ years ago, but not now.

Comment

I love how 85% of the posted article is filler of shit we already know. Must be a really slow news day.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I love how 85% of the posted article is filler of shit we already know. Must be a really slow news day.
          Think about Rock and Roll now compared to the '70's or '80's! Hell, no, there's no news.

Comment

People still read rolling stone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              People still read rolling stone?
              Nobody who matters does. Then again, nobody who matters works for that rag either.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I've had a "free subscription" to it for the last year or so through Live Nation purchases and have looked at exactly one issue. Once I get a pile of 5-6 they go in the recycle bin.

Comment

Disgusting.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

not surprised. they are known for doing dumb shit like this all of the time.

Comment

How far the mighty have fallen,

I used to dream of making the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, as it used to be the ultimate statement of legitimacy for an aspiring musician and it meant that you had really made it. Over the past 5 years, Rolling Stone has become less and less about music, and has become more and more about bullshit, pop culture nonsense. Even though many of us may not care for it, we were able to live with it…until this.

You…Dare…To…Put…The…Image…Of…The…Boston…Bomber…On… The…Fucking…Cover…Of…Your…Magazine!!!!????
                      Are you out of your ultra-liberal, sympathetic to a fault, fucking minds??? You have not only succeeded in blatantly insulting and dishonoring the victims and families whose lives were forever effected by this rabid animal, but you have now glorified his cowardly and unforgivable act. Why? Because it will sell magazines? Because it will create controversy? Because you actually do sympathize with this abhorrent, cowardly, piece of shit? You have made it attractive and validated the act, to a whole new generation of wanna be terrorists seeking martyrdom and infamy. You, and your kind are the reason why people think that they can go out “in a blaze of glory” while murdering innocents. Honestly, and i mean this from the bottom of my heart…Go…Fuck…Yourselves.

The next terrorist/murdering incident, be it another bomber, or a madman with an assault rifle, unleashing fire upon a school full of children, is on you.

May your consciences (if you even have them) weigh immeasurable heavy on you for the rest of your lives. I condemn this act, this notion, and this worthless piece of shit fucking rag of a magazine. May the powers that be have mercy upon your souls, because the next time something like this happens, i assure you, the world wont.

-Go to hell

David Draiman

Could not have said it better myself, well maybe with one or two more f-bombs.

Comment

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino writes letter to Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner:

Dear Mr. Wenner,

Your August 3 cover rewards a terrorist with celebrity treatment. It is ill-conceived, at best, and re-affirms a terrible message that destruction gains fame for killers and their "causes". There may be valuable journalism behind your sensational treatment, though we can't know because almost all you released is the cover.
                          To respond to you in anger is to feed into your obvious marketing strategy. So, I write to you instead to put the focus where you could have: on the brave and strong survivors and on the thousands of people - their family and friends, volunteers, first responders, doctors, nurses, and donors - who have come to their side. Among those we lost, those who survived, and those who help carry them forward, there are artists and musicians and dancers and writers. They have dreams and plans. They struggle and strive. The survivors of the Boston attacks deserve Rolling Stone cover stories, though I no longer feel that Rolling Stone deserves them.

Sincerely,
                          Thomas M. Menino
                          Mayor of Boston

Comment

^^Well said!
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Racing Transmission View Post
                              Boston Mayor Thomas Menino writes letter to Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner:

Dear Mr. Wenner,

Your August 3 cover rewards a terrorist with celebrity treatment. It is ill-conceived, at best, and re-affirms a terrible message that destruction gains fame for killers and their "causes". There may be valuable journalism behind your sensational treatment, though we can't know because almost all you released is the cover.
                              To respond to you in anger is to feed into your obvious marketing strategy. So, I write to you instead to put the focus where you could have: on the brave and strong survivors and on the thousands of people - their family and friends, volunteers, first responders, doctors, nurses, and donors - who have come to their side. Among those we lost, those who survived, and those who help carry them forward, there are artists and musicians and dancers and writers. They have dreams and plans. They struggle and strive. The survivors of the Boston attacks deserve Rolling Stone cover stories, though I no longer feel that Rolling Stone deserves them.

Sincerely,
                              Thomas M. Menino
                              Mayor of Boston
                              Nicely done.

Comment

Working...
                              X