1967 Mustang coupe Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
    Is an explorer rear end the correct width? And would the spring perches be in the correct spot? I have a buddy with one of so.

It’s a differential from a 94-94 cobra, so it’s a bit wider because of the disc brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• The Exploder 8.8 is the perfect width for a 67-68, but the pinion is offset. Many people run it that way with no issue, some say the pinion needs to be centered. Either way, it would require welding new perches to the axle tubes. It’s really not a big deal though. The shortening of the long side axle tube is much more involved, but again, not strictly necessary for your year.

Edit: I re-read what you were saying there. Mustang/Cobra 8.8 would require the same new spring perches though.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        The Exploder 8.8 is the perfect width for a 67-68, but the pinion is offset. Many people run it that way with no issue, some say the pinion needs to be centered. Either way, it would require welding new perches to the axle tubes. It’s really not a big deal though. The shortening of the long side axle tube is much more involved, but again, not strictly necessary for your year.

Edit: I re-read what you were saying there. Mustang/Cobra 8.8 would require the same new spring perches though.

Right, so it’s probably best just to use the AJE conversion kit, it eliminates the rear leaf springs , allows me to bolt and weld in a nEw rear subframe assembly, install the 8.8 and use coil over rear shocks. I think I’m just gonna end up doing that.

Comment

• $25 part and a few beads of weld on the housing seems like a bit of a stretch to justify that kind of investment, but it’s your build man.

Comment

$25 part and a few beads of weld on the housing seems like a bit of a stretch to justify that kind of investment, but it’s your build man.

Yeah I hear ya. I think I’d rather just do it with as little welding as I can considering what time I’ve put into welding as it is lol , I’m gonna do a bit more research, I can do the conversion for about 1400 bucks with the subframe and the shocks required. Not too bad, but still more than what I wanted to spend, however I’m in more with the brakes and the conversion for the brakes. But that’s alright. I’m gonna see if Dallas mustang has the torque boxes I need, may go pick them up today if I get some time.

Comment

• I bet a skilled welder/fabricator would zap those spring perches on for less than $50.

Comment

I bet a skilled welder/fabricator would zap those spring perches on for less than $50.

True enough. Do u happen to have a link to the mentioned perches? Just to visualize what you’re talking about

Comment

• I'll have to look back through my notes, but I'm 99% sure these are the exact perches I got:

Comment

I'll have to look back through my notes, but I'm 99% sure these are the exact perches I got:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/cur-ce7000b

Gotcha! I just didn’t know what the perches looked like. That makes much more sense now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtotin View Post
                      Gotcha! I just didn’t know what the perches looked like. That makes much more sense now.

Yeah it's quite simple. The only challenge there is setting the pinion angle. The right way is to assemble everything in situ with weight on the springs and tack it in place. I had a shop do the welding and that wasn't an option. Opinions range from 3°-5°. I went with 4° and all seems well.

Comment

Yeah it's quite simple. The only challenge there is setting the pinion angle. The right way is to assemble everything in situ with weight on the springs and tack it in place. I had a shop do the welding and that wasn't an option. Opinions range from 3°-5°. I went with 4° and all seems well.

Cool. With all that and how far away from adding any weight to the rear and setting the angle, I think the best thing to do would be doing the kit lol. I contacted the manufacturer and he’s giving me 10% off plus no tax and free shipping if I order this week. About 350 bucks cheaper than summit and it would come sooner.

Comment

• Here’s a vid for the front and rear kit. Go about half way in on the video. It looks like a nice kit. I think it’ll work well

Comment

Cool. With all that and how far away from adding any weight to the rear and setting the angle, I think the best thing to do would be doing the kit lol. I contacted the manufacturer and he’s giving me 10% off plus no tax and free shipping if I order this week. About 350 bucks cheaper than summit and it would come sooner.

they do 20% occasionally.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              they do 20% occasionally.

The guy was super nice. The free shipping was basically the other 10% lol. It would have been another 150-175 to ship. He basically gave it to me at what I would have gotten it at with a summit racing account my buddy has. But the shipping through summit was almost a month out, direct through AJE was 7-10 days.

Comment

The guy was super nice. The free shipping was basically the other 10% lol. It would have been another 150-175 to ship. He basically gave it to me at what I would have gotten it at with a summit racing account my buddy has. But the shipping through summit was almost a month out, direct through AJE was 7-10 days.

Where do you live? I might want to help with that install.
                                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X