97 Cobra LSx Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
    Transmission is the next big step. It will take me awhile to afford a tko and nice clutch. Driveshaft will also have to be custom made.
    It would be a bit of a drive, but there is a guy on ls1tech selling a stage 1 rebuilt T56 with LS7 clutch and hurst shifter for $1500. Depending on what has been done in that stage 1, it should be good to about 600ftlbs of torque.

Texas Classifieds - FS: Stg 1 built T56 with LS7 clutch and Hurst shifter - I have for sale a stage 1 built T56 with LS7 clutch both with about 6000 miles on them. I also have included a factory Hurst shifter. $1500. I'm located in north Houston in the Kingwood area. Pickup only. Thanks, Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by mystic96 View Post
      You figure out what you're doing for the clutch setup? Still going to be hydraulic?
      Haven't really made the call on that yet. not sure
      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        It would be a bit of a drive, but there is a guy on ls1tech selling a stage 1 rebuilt T56 with LS7 clutch and hurst shifter for $1500. Depending on what has been done in that stage 1, it should be good to about 600ftlbs of torque.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-clas...t-shifter.html
        damn that is exactly what I need. My bank acct is really wiped out now. It will be a few months until I'm on the hunt for one.
        2012 GT500

Comment

if you have any questions along the way don't hesitate to hit me up. good luck with the build.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            if you have any questions along the way don't hesitate to hit me up. good luck with the build.
            Thanks James! We will..
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Yep. It is all about necessary vs. unnecessary. I don't have a very big budget for the car, so cash has got to go to the main necessities. The $400 in tubular a arms is a very good start to a tko. Once the car has all the necessary stuff i'll start working on turbo and paint etc etc. At least all the rear end stuff is done already. important corners wont be cut.
              Your gonna have 10k in it by the time its all said & done
              GOD BLESS TEXAS
              August Landscaping
              214-779-7278
              Seb's high class.
              He'll mow your grass.
              He'll kick your ass.
              And while his kidney stones pass,
              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                Your gonna have 10k in it by the time its all said & done
                yep, that's about my estimate. I figure 2k for engine, 2k for transmission, $2k for paint, 1k+ in wheels and tires, $1k in turbo, $600 in the fuel system, $400 clutch etc etc and that's just all the main stuff. Im beating that goal right now but it will all balance out. But for $12k total I'll have a clean painted car that makes 600rw reliably.
                2012 GT500

Comment

2k for motor and 2k for trans is what kills the budget. a good old $500 complete 5.3 with wiring harness bolted to a $500 4l80e would have gotten the budget WAY down.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                    2k for motor and 2k for trans is what kills the budget. a good old $500 complete 5.3 with wiring harness bolted to a $500 4l80e would have gotten the budget WAY down.
                    Yeah lol. I only spent 1400 on motor and everything I need to make it work. Estimates are a little high to cover incidental expense. No auto for me

Cut costs and your gonna end up like turbo rail breaking in the parking lot. Lol
                    2012 GT500

Comment

Yeah lol. I only spent 1400 on motor and everything I need to make it work. Estimates are a little high to cover incidental expense. No auto for me

Cut costs and your gonna end up like turbo rail breaking in the parking lot. Lol
                      Run any LS (El Ass) at higher revs with what GM tells you is the proper oil level, and yours will do the same. You don't even need the turbo to do it.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                        Run any LS (El Ass) at higher revs with what GM tells you is the proper oil level, and yours will do the same. You don't even need the turbo to do it.
                        No worries. Don't plan on revving over 6k
                        2012 GT500

Comment

No worries. Don't plan on revving over 6k
                          That probably high enough. It's the sustained high (sorta) RPMs.
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                            That probably high enough. It's the sustained high (sorta) RPMs.
                            There as so many people that run 150k mile motors with 20lbs of boost for tens of thousands of hard miles. I was amazed when I started looking around. If blows ill buy another short block for $200 lol
                            2012 GT500

Comment

yep, that's about my estimate. I figure 2k for engine, 2k for transmission, $2k for paint, 1k+ in wheels and tires, $1k in turbo, $600 in the fuel system, $400 clutch etc etc and that's just all the main stuff. Im beating that goal right now but it will all balance out. But for $12k total I'll have a clean painted car that makes 600rw reliably.
                              Don't forget the little stuff, if the truck pan actually clears the K-Member, it hangs low. Replacing or modifying it may be necessary. Will the truck intake fit under the hood? If you choose a car intake, it requires a different or modified harness, fuel rails and it needs a regulator. Are you going to diet the harness yourself or buy one? You'll need to flash the computer to omit the anti-theft and transmission as a minimum. You'll find out that the few fuel fittings you need aren't exactly cheap.

Comment

There as so many people that run 150k mile motors with 20lbs of boost for tens of thousands of hard miles. I was amazed when I started looking around. If blows ill buy another short block for $200 lol
                                I bet I've seen as many fail without boost and less than 120k, with plenty of oil in them. They are not magic, nor consistent. I know of at least one in my family, and it was just a daily, and idling when it vented the block. Seems to be hit or miss, but like they always say - it's better to be lucky than good.

It's also not very wise to be gullible enough to believe every running motor is stock. I think most mean "stock".
                                86 SVO - Sold
                                01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

Working...
                                X