Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Job!

Comment

How about some sound and heat insulation? I'm getting too old to put up with with road noise and heat transfer thought the floor, roof and firewall.

I wanted to try a spray on material but like the rest of the build, it had to be done on a budget. Lizard Skin @ $100/gal was out of the question so after a little research, I made my own to the tune of $16/gallon.

So after some prep, some cleaning and some masking, I was ready to spray on some insulation.

We have a lot of ground to cover.

Mask off what we don't want coated.

Comment

Break out the handy dandy undercoating gun.

And start spraying. 2 thick coats ought to do it.

Roof first

Then the floor.

And the firewall

And then finish the floor.

And after the second coat.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
          ...after a little research, I made my own to the tune of $16/gallon.
          Do tell...out of what?

Comment

Originally posted by Hicompression View Post
            Do tell...out of what?
            Exterior latex paint and ceramic microspheres.

Comment

While the insulation was curing I went on to the front brakes and suspension.

New bushings, ball joints, springs, etc. While I was at it, I picked up a set of spindles and brakes off a 77 Thunderbird for the disc brake conversion. I just cleaned them up and repacked the bearings for now.

I think the rears needed some work too. Unfortunately this is the only pic I took.

Time to lose the jelly jar single reservoir master cylinder.

And replace it with a hydroboost booster and M/C out of 78 Lincoln Mark V.

Made a sheet metal template to fit it to the firewall. And then fabricated a spacer / adapter plate.

And then mounted it to the firewall.

Comment

Thats some fine work your doing. I have a 64 Fairlane Ranch Wagon that Ill be using lots of these tricks on.

Comment

Is that an explorer motor? I thought you went LS.

Where did you get the microspheres?
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo1528 View Post
                    Thats some fine work your doing. I have a 64 Fairlane Ranch Wagon that Ill be using lots of these tricks on.
                    I would have prefered the Fairlane wagon but I plan to use this for a tow vehicle and wanted a full frame.

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                    Is that an explorer motor? I thought you went LS.

Where did you get the microspheres?
                    Not an explorer motor. (Yet) I'll post up direction changes when I get some time.

I bought the Microspheres from Aircraft Spruce.

Comment

Well somewhere in this mess I changed direction. Came to my senses and decided to keep the Ford a Ford.

When I picked up my 55, I felt the 5.3/4l60 would be better suited for it.

Intro thread on it.

I thought I'd share my latest Toy. A 1955 Chevy 3200 pickup. A few Saturdays ago, I hitched up the trailer and headed down to Cockrell Hill. Backed up the driveway, unspooled the winch, and opened the shed doors. It looked like a scene from "Hoarders," junk piled around, on and in this little guy. Hooked up

And then I traded a SN95 T-5 trans for this. A 91 5.0/AOD Thunderbird.

So I pulled the motor, trans, wiring, computer, fuel system, radiator and anything else I could reuse.

I went ahead and held on to this but I'll talk about that later.

Then sold it for scrap. Heavy ass car still weighed over a ton stripped

Comment

Engine, Round 3

Out with the old... again...

So with a little paint, a new oil pan modified to accept a dipstick tube, a set of 94/95 Cobra headers from Clifton, Fox Body vert mounts and a few gaskets, it's ready.

I had cut apart my reworked trans crossmember but decided it wasn't worth rebuilding so I made one from scratch.

TBird radiator and fan shroud mounted.

And a little wiring. The factory harness was dieted and reconfigured to run stand alone and tie into the wagons wiring. Starting, charging, dash lights and gauges.

Computer mounted

And another shot of the motor. Everything from the radiator to the front driveshaft yoke was repurposed from the TBird.

Air box mounted, wiring nearly done, battery relocated to drivers side and kicked it off wire carb cleaner. It runs.

Last edited by homealone; 12-18-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the biggest pain in the ass you have ever messed with lol.

Comment

Man you're making some good headway. Keep it up

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                              Man you're making some good headway. Keep it up
                              Although I still have a lot to do, the wagon has been on the road since late September. All these pics are just now getting posted.

Comment

Then why are you spreading this shit out!?!?! Gets to posting!

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                                X