Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$20k for a practical daily. What and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $20k for a practical daily. What and why?

My dad passed away last month (yeah, it super-sucks) and left me with his car. It’s a fine vehicle, but doesn’t really blow my skirt up.

2017 Buick Enclave, 32k Miles.

CarMax offered me $20,500, which based on my research is a pretty fair offer. I’m cheap, so I’d rather not get anything that would require cash on top. My regular daily is a 17 year old Toyota that just rolled 100k. It’s not worth anything but it’ll run forever, so I’m keeping it for the kid’s bad weather beater.

Parameters for the next car:

Must have 4 doors
    Open to sedans or SUVs (not really interested in a truck)
    Not interested in anything German at this price point
    Less than 50k miles

So, with all of that info, what would you get?
    Last edited by BLAKE; 09-29-2020, 05:28 PM.

Sell me your Toyota!!
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

You could get a low mile Ford Edge in that price range.. probably 20k miles
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

If you want sporty and cool, I would be eyeballing a CTS-V. If you want practical and unkillable, Tahoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          You could get a low mile Ford Edge in that price range.. probably 20k miles
          Funny enough, my wife has an Edge that she absolutely loves. I like it fine, but we don’t need two. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            If you want sporty and cool, I would be eyeballing a CTS-V. If you want practical and unkillable, Tahoe.
            Good suggestions. Tahoe is a bit bigger than I would like, but a CTS-V would be rad. I think I’ll go see what those are going for. Thanks!

Comment

You fun and risky for problems or semi boring and reliable?

Comment

My son works at Planet Lincoln, he said they have 80 Lincoln MKZ's, I'm sure you could get one for $32k MSRP nicely equipped, you could probably get. 3-5k off easy.

Just tossing out some ideas.... no pressure.

Though I will need your keys and let me go ask my manager?

lol!
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

We have a 2015 edge sport, fun to drive gets decent mileage. It has 99,000 miles on only issues to date leaking oil pan and the panoramic roof stuck open both issues fixed under warranty.
                  Picked up a 2018 Mini Cooper S loaded with 7,000 miles for $17,500 this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    You fun and risky for problems or semi boring and reliable?
                    The fastback is for fun and problems. For the daily, practical and reliable is more important than fun, but a little fun would be nice.

Comment

I know you said no German cars, but the luxo segment depreciates so much faster in the first 3-5 years, such that you can pick up a low-mileage turbo 3-series for less than half what they got at the lot. Makes for a fun and comfortable DD.

Comment

Mazda, Honda, or Toyota, take your pick. You already know s Toyota will last for next to forever. I’m pretty sure you can fine a low mileage sedan at a decent price.

But my understanding is that used SUVs and crossovers are in short supply and demanding higher prices.

Comment

Interestingly enough...it seems hard to beat the enclave dollar for dollar after considering transaction costs and loses.

I would suggest an explorer but thats not an upgrade.

Are you willing to add to the 20K for something better?

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            I know you said no German cars, but the luxo segment depreciates so much faster in the first 3-5 years, such that you can pick up a low-mileage turbo 3-series for less than half what they got at the lot. Makes for a fun and comfortable DD.
                            Fair point. I’m a little ignorant on euro cars. I assumed 20k would put me squarely in high priced maintenance territory.

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            Mazda, Honda, or Toyota, take your pick. You already know s Toyota will last for next to forever. I’m pretty sure you can fine a low mileage sedan at a decent price.

But my understanding is that used SUVs and crossovers are in short supply and demanding higher prices.
                            I’m sure you’re right. Toyota and Honda styling has gone a little wacky lately. I’ve always liked the looks of Mazdas but I know they used to have a spotty reliability record (old Mazda 6’s from 10 years ago). I haven’t kept up with them since.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Interestingly enough...it seems hard to beat the enclave dollar for dollar after considering transaction costs and loses.

I would suggest an explorer but thats not an upgrade.

Are you willing to add to the 20K for something better?
                            Yeah, the Enclave is pretty solid. It just lacks a little something. Hard to pin down.

I would consider adding a little cash to it, but I’m addicted to no car payments and this car would have to live outside, so it has to ride the line of nice enough, but not so nice that it makes me sad to see out in the weather.

Comment

Working...
                            X