No announcement yet.

shoulder pain- what should I do for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoulder pain- what should I do for it?

I've been in the gym regularly for the last 12 months but lately my shoulders (clavicle area specifically) hurts like hell a lot of the time. It's encroaching on my ability to do some bench and lots of shoulder routines.

Other than my body aging (I turn 48 this month, not old), what gives? What's the fix? What's the cause?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Rest, ice a few days, then heat, then stretch. While your doing this have someone with bony fingers go at the area if it is muscular.

Yes it is age. I laid off a little for Covid, got back in the gym and my shoulder area was starting to cramp up. Like upper back area. Then finally I got the monster of cramps in that area right around the shoulder blade. I have had to have my wife dig deep with her fingers to get at the busted muscle. It has went from hurting all the way threw to my chest to just a twinge now.

Maybe the answer is light weight more reps. Sometimes I think I am falling apart though. Lower back, foot, side......... I will say this though, the last time the doc gave me some anti arthritis meds, holy shit I felt good for three weeks. Don't want to go down that path though.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Thank you sir. I did have a laugh at myself for coming on the forum asking for “medical opinions”, but I appreciate the info!
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
        I've been in the gym regularly for the last 12 months but lately my shoulders (clavicle area specifically) hurts like hell a lot of the time. It's encroaching on my ability to do some bench and lots of shoulder routines.

Other than my body aging (I turn 48 this month, not old), what gives? What's the fix? What's the cause?
        Vicodin

Getting old sucks. I hurt my rotator cuff in January of last year and it's STILL not back to 100% even after PT.

Comment

Treat it with hydroxychloroquine that you wash down with a glass of Lysol. If that doesn't work I can just come over and pee on it; that works every time.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Oh my, one of you wants to turn me in to a pill eating zombie, the other wants to poison me... but in truth, if it came down to the 3 choices you guys just gave and I knew the pee choice would work... I'd just suffer with the pain.

Comment

I had to change my exercises. I can't flat bench, but zero pain in incline. Shoulder press is fine, but can't do weighted dips. Light weights, long warm ups on chest and shoulder days. Stretch.

I'm about to have platelet rich plasma injections done on my left shoulder in March.

Comment

Try some of the Australian Dream cream.
                It seems to work!

Comment

The permanent fix is a few stem cell injections. So if you're really attached to your lifting, look into that. I love lifting so I'd probably do it if it were me. Kinda expensive though, might wanna wait till the price goes down.
                  WH

Comment

If it is really bad and it brings tears to your eyes you probably need surgery. If it just hurts you might be able to work around it.

The permanent fix are the exercises that strengthen your stabilizing muscles in your shoulder. They are the rotator cuff exercises. There are four major muscles that you need to work out and you need to do them religiously.

People tear up their shoulders on a flat bench because their pecs and triceps are strong and used to heavy weight but these small muscles are not, the minute the weight gets out of the groove and these small muscles have to control it you are doomed if they are weak.

Search Youtube for the exercises
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Don't go bowling. 3 games and my arm/shoulder is dead.

Comment

I went here with a similar issue and insurance paid for it. About 4 visits.

We don't manage your pain - we fix it. Learn about our effective alternatives to surgery, pain management, & long-term chiropractic programs.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          Rest, ice a few days, then heat, then stretch. While your doing this have someone with bony fingers go at the area if it is muscular.

Yes it is age. I laid off a little for Covid, got back in the gym and my shoulder area was starting to cramp up. Like upper back area. Then finally I got the monster of cramps in that area right around the shoulder blade. I have had to have my wife dig deep with her fingers to get at the busted muscle. It has went from hurting all the way threw to my chest to just a twinge now.

Maybe the answer is light weight more reps. Sometimes I think I am falling apart though. Lower back, foot, side......... I will say this though, the last time the doc gave me some anti arthritis meds, holy shit I felt good for three weeks. Don't want to go down that path though.
                          As I read this, I was thinking that I surely must have typed this up about myself, just and forgot about it. Like looking in a mirror.

Comment

After I typed this, I went out side and was hanging string lights before work. I fell off the fucking ladder, onto the ladder, you know, one arm had a grip on the 6x12 until it didn't. I dragged my leg like a zombie at work and should have some heavy bruising in the right forearm, left elbow, right shin/calve, and left leg just below the knee. That whole lower leg just below the knee is fubar. Luckily I was wearing a beanie or I might have cracked my skull on the concrete.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              After I typed this, I went out side and was hanging string lights before work. I fell off the fucking ladder, onto the ladder, you know, one arm had a grip on the 6x12 until it didn't. I dragged my leg like a zombie at work and should have some heavy bruising in the right forearm, left elbow, right shin/calve, and left leg just below the knee. That whole lower leg just below the knee is fubar. Luckily I was wearing a beanie or I might have cracked my skull on the concrete.
                              why'd ya do that?

Comment

Working...
                              X