Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Most Unexpected Thing" Bored Thursday Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Most Unexpected Thing" Bored Thursday Thread...

What is the most unexpected thing\event that you have ever personally witnessed?

Discuss....

(SVO, Do not fail us here...)

Just a month or two ago I was driving in western OK on a highway (2 lanes each way, grass median, cable fence separating sides). A semi passed me going the other way, no big deal, then about 100 yds behind him I saw a full wheel and tire assembly from his truck doing it's best to catch back up to him.

Then the escapee decided it would rather check out that fence, and it started veering over my way. I'm doing 75, the truck was doing probably 75, so this wheel/tire and I are closing the distance at about 150 mph.

When it and I passed each other it was just at the inside shoulder and moving into the median. I looked in my review mirror and saw it hit the cable fence, catch some serious air, and then fly almost all the way over the two lanes on my side and continue up a hill into some trees.

It all happened in 3-4 seconds. Crazy shit.

Comment

Working on the flight deck one night and all of a sudden some warning sirens go off and two Sea Sparrows leave the ship.... all hell breaks loose and in a short time we are launching helos to assist the Turkish destroyer we just blew the crap out of....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCG_Muavenet_(DM_357)

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Just a month or two ago I was driving in western OK on a highway (2 lanes each way, grass median, cable fence separating sides). A semi passed me going the other way, no big deal, then about 100 yds behind him I saw a full wheel and tire assembly from his truck doing it's best to catch back up to him.

Then the escapee decided it would rather check out that fence, and it started veering over my way. I'm doing 75, the truck was doing probably 75, so this wheel/tire and I are closing the distance at about 150 mph.

When it and I passed each other it was just at the inside shoulder and moving into the median. I looked in my review mirror and saw it hit the cable fence, catch some serious air, and then fly almost all the way over the two lanes on my side and continue up a hill into some trees.

It all happened in 3-4 seconds. Crazy shit.
        What Hwy?
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          What Hwy?
          I think I was on 412 that day

Comment

I saw a car do pretty much the same thing, veered straight into the cable divider at speed. Saw it flip in my rear view mirror.

Comment

Back in 2009, I was driving home from Dallas going north on I-35E through Lewisville. There was a semi truck with no trailer a little ways in front of me, and a pack of cars and trucks around it. I had just quit my job and was coming home in the middle of the day wondering what the hell I was going to do for money now.

All of a sudden I was pulled out of my fog when a small hatch back went to change lanes infront of the rig. Only problem was she hadn't cleared the nose yet and made contact with the truck. She swerved back and stuck another car spinning it sideways into the rear wheels of the rig. the girl who started this now slammed into the inside wall right as the semi turned sideways and plowed back into both cars, popping the little hatch back strait up into the air kinda like when you shoot a bottle cap by squeezing you your thumb and forefinger together. the semi truck, after shooting the car in the air made hard contact with the wall, bounced into the air and did a half spin before coming down facing me. It was at this time I finally hit the brakes. Some how through all this two more cars crashed but I never even saw them. When we all came to a stop the highway looked like a war zone. Smashed cars and car parts where everywhere. I left my car running with the door open in the middle of the highway and ran toward the mess. Months earlier I'd been rear ended in almost the same spot in the same car. I checked with the first car I came to, the one that hit the semi second. She was okay, shaken but not hurt. I then ran to the semi and climbed up to the driver and opened the door. She was a middle aged diesel dyke with a k9 copilot. She was in tears, rambling at me, "I killed her, I just know I did, I killed that girl, she's dead isn't she?" she just kept saying that. I asked her f she was hurt, she just said in tears "Did I kill her". So I jumped back down and ran over there. A crowd had formed around her car and I asked how she was, someone replied, "she's alive." So I went back to the truck driver and told her. She broke down at that news and it took her a minute to compose herself. She then told me that her knee's where hurting bad. The dog was unhurt. At that moment I finally looked over the whole scene, Warzone, junk everywhere, cars and parts scattered over all three lanes. All traffic stopped behind us. I was standing in the door of a shattered semi truck with my arm around a sobbing woman who just learned she hadn't killed anyone, in the middle of the highway and the world was still and oddly quiet. At this moment my adrenaline whore off and I was surprised to find that I was suddenly emotional. Finally the fire department made it to us, and with them there I took my queue to leave. I told the cops what I saw happen and walked back to my car (still running with the door open) climbed back in, and drove away. At that moment I realized that loosing my job wasn't so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
                Working on the flight deck one night and all of a sudden some warning sirens go off and two Sea Sparrows leave the ship.... all hell breaks loose and in a short time we are launching helos to assist the Turkish destroyer we just blew the crap out of....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCG_Muavenet_(DM_357)
                Wow! Holly shit, I'd never heard about that one. I guess mine would have to be Navy related too. You can't really see it in the video, but the canopy landed about 8-10 feet from me. There have been a LOT of other instances, but that one really caught me off-guard.
                * "Lightning" was my guys, HS-14

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Was at a bar years ago and a couple friends were shooting pool. Couple one table over gets into an argument and the guy hauls back and slaps the shit out of his girlfriend and she hits the floor.

Without a word, one of my friends picks the cue ball up off it the table, walks over and plays wack-a-mole, smacking that dude on the top of his head. He drops like a rock, out cold and we haul ass.

We still tease him to this day, asking if he wants to go shoot pool, lol.

Comment

I've had a breadbox intake from a fox body launch over my head at Kennedale while standing at the top of the bleachers and land on the cowl of a Karman Ghia. Nitrous backfires were cool!

Comment

Years ago I was at Pete's piano bar in Fort Worth with a group of friends. I had to sit a little ways away from everyone as the table was full, the nearest empty seat was next to this single ( or so I thought ) MILF. We flirt back and forth all night, she finally slides over her phone number on a napkin, and the dude sitting on the other side of her freaks the fuck out. Turns out that was her husband.. He throws a big fit cussing her out and how he was done with her and yadda yadda yadda. Shit was hilarious.

Comment

I've logged so many miles in my lifetime that I've seen some weird shit on the roads and highways of Texas. Like Strych, I've seen a tire come off of a truck (I assumed) and fly over the divider on 75 near Springcreek in Plano and land on a hood of car and kept going. It was so loud I heard it in my car with the windows rolled up going the other way.

Going the same way over that stretch near the Cavenders on 75 in Plano I saw a motorcycle guy run over a large piece of cardboard and go straight down in front of 4 lanes of cars I was second in line to squish him, everyone stopped in time. The guy gets up walks over to the shoulder, his bike was on fire. People behind us were on their brakes and hitting each other like a scene from CHiPs, most got out to help, I don't know why, the motorcyclist seemed OK, I snaked around and kept going. Over the bridge at 15th and 75 there was an open bed truck pulled over trying to secure a bed full of giant cardboard boxes, if that clown only knew what he had caused a few miles back...
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Decades ago a large buzzard smashed head-on into my windshield driving about 60 mph on TX 43 between Karnack and Marshall. The stories about them hurling and making eye contact in that brief instant before impact are true.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            Decades ago a large buzzard smashed head-on into my windshield driving about 60 mph on TX 43 between Karnack and Marshall. The stories about them hurling and making eye contact in that brief instant before impact are true.
                            Hurling, like throwing up their guts? LOL!

I also hit a big ass pigeon swooping under a bridge on I-37 heading towards Corpus Christi, he smacked the top my Navigator right above the windshield, it was very loud. My wife woke up said what was that, I told her I didn't hear anything?! I had to lie or else she would have made me turn around and it give CPR.
                            I looked in the rearview and and there were feathers everywhere and it just finally hit the ground, he probably was up in the air 50 feet.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Last summer I was back home for a buddy's wedding and watched a kid on an R1 blast a minivan broadside at about 70mph while the van was stopped at a light.

Comment

Working...
                              X