Fight over teaching evolution in Texas fizzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    Because the theory of evolution does not involve magic and talking snakes, it seems more valid to me.
    Speaking of magic and science and whatnot, from whence cometh the "Big Bang"?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
      Speaking of magic and science and whatnot, from whence cometh the "Big Bang"?
      Lol.

You are one of those people that would have argued 500 years ago that the sun orbits the earth because the bible told you so. Then 100 years ago you would have argued that the dinosaurs were put in the ground by god to trick us and test our faith. Now, by denying evolution you fall into the same category as the aforementioned progress-impeding goons.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Lol.

You are one of those people that would have argued 500 years ago that the sun orbits the earth because the bible told you so. Then 100 years ago you would have argued that the dinosaurs were put in the ground by god to trick us and test our faith. Now, by denying evolution you fall into the same category as the aforementioned progress-impeding goons.
        "Those people" LOL

You've just discounted everything you posted above by making assumptions without proof. Not very adept at the scientific process are you?

Also, you didn't answer or even attempt to answer my query.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
          I have a simple questions..... How is believing in the theory of evolution any different then believing in the bible? Some say neither one can be proved?
          When one incorrectly ascribes some anti-theological premise behind evolution, belief in one over the other is not different in philosophical or theological terms.

Theology and evolution do not have to be mutually exclusive; however, the tenet of probability as part of evolutionary theory is incompatible with the notion that God controls everything, which is fundamental to Christian belief. Christianity objects to evolution, and atheists (as an umbrella term) use the theory of evolution to refute creation and, by extension, Christianity.

It's disingenuous for atheists to make such a leap in logic and thump Origins (as the beginning of the theory) as proof of the absence of God, when it's fundamentally no different for theists to thump their own, respective books.
          Men have become the tools of their tools.
          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Science also says we do not have all the answers. Creationism and/or intelligent design is another theory, just like the THEORY of evolution. Even Darwin said he can't explain the beginning. And using your own words of "Science consists of what we know", then the beginning of life should never be discussed in class as we do not KNOW the beginning, have never been able to duplicate it or create it ourselves. Thus, it shouldn't be taught right?
            Except the theory of evolution rests on physical evidence. Creation/ID rests on faith. They are not physically testable and never will be; they are thus not theories, but beliefs. One is science, the other two are not.

People in here are asking for alternative, so I'll ask: what scientific alternatives do you offer?

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
              When one incorrectly ascribes some anti-theological premise behind evolution, belief in one over the other is not different in philosophical or theological terms.

Theology and evolution do not have to be mutually exclusive; however, the tenet of probability as part of evolutionary theory is incompatible with the notion that God controls everything, which is fundamental to Christian belief. Christianity objects to evolution, and atheists (as an umbrella term) use the theory of evolution to refute creation and, by extension, Christianity.

It's disingenuous for atheists to make such a leap in logic and thump Origins (as the beginning of the theory) as proof of the absence of God, when it's fundamentally no different for theists to thump their own, respective books.
              Though God can intercede and control everything, currently mankind is in complete control of his own affairs unless he defers to God.

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                Yeah the idea that we evolved from apes makes much more sense...
                Ever studied anthropology, molecular biology, molecular evolution, or evolution in general? A good conceptual grasp in those helps to understand the logic behind the theory of evolution.

Comment

"Those people" LOL

You've just discounted everything you posted above by making assumptions without proof. Not very adept at the scientific process are you?

Also, you didn't answer or even attempt to answer my query.
                  Uh, what? I know you are one of "those people". You know, air headed self-righteous Christians who impede progress and inhibit the progression of our great liberal society. I have read your posts in the theology corner and elsewhere, and your answer to almost everything is "But Jesus, hurrrrrrr".

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                    Ever studied anthropology, molecular biology, molecular evolution, or evolution in general? A good conceptual grasp in those helps to understand the logic behind the theory of evolution.
                    GTFO of here with that shit...higher education in science has no place in DFWM

Comment

Though God can intercede and control everything, currently mankind is in complete control of his own affairs unless he defers to God.
                      I don't disagree with this because it complies with freedom of choice to believe or not believe and behave accordingly. But, it doesn't necessarily address matters beyond human decision. One of the best examples, and most often taught in schools is determination of eye color. Eye color is a gene expression, and either determined entirely randomly or determined by God. If God doesn't control this and leaves it to random determination as evolutionary theory purports, then at what point does he intercede in controlling his creation?
                      Men have become the tools of their tools.
                      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Uh, what? I know you are one of "those people". You know, air headed self-righteous Christians who impede progress and inhibit the progression of our great liberal society. I have read your posts in the theology corner and elsewhere, and your answer to almost everything is "But Jesus, hurrrrrrr".
                        Right now we are in this thread, not the Theology Forum, but name-calling will not help or mask your lack of ability to make a cognizant response either there or here. To wit, you have not provided any basis for making the assumptions you have posted here without proof, as per the scientific process, and you still have not answered, or attempted to answer, my question.

Comment

Believing in, or fighting over, the evolution theory is stupid. It will get you no where and it really does not matter.
                          Last edited by mustangguy289; 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM.
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                            I don't disagree with this because it complies with freedom of choice to believe or not believe and behave accordingly. But, it doesn't necessarily address matters beyond human decision. One of the best examples, and most often taught in schools is determination of eye color. Eye color is a gene expression, and either determined entirely randomly or determined by God. If God doesn't control this and leaves it to random determination as evolutionary theory purports, then at what point does he intercede in controlling his creation?
                            He can intercede if petitioned to do so, as through prayer. Outside of that, He can also intercede in controlling His Creation, if need be, at the point at which mankind is on the cusp of destroyng it.

(I know "on the cusp of" is an irritating term, that's why I chose it.)

Comment

Right now we are in this thread, not the Theology Forum, but name-calling will not help or mask your lack of ability to make a cognizant response either there or here. To wit, you have not provided any basis for making the assumptions you have posted here without proof, as per the scientific process, and you still have not answered, or attempted to answer, my question.
                              I declined on the basis that I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                                Believing in or fighting over the evolution theory is stupid. It will get you know where and it really does not matter.
                                If your beliefs are founded on "getting somewhere", I doubt they will get you where you intend.

Comment

Working...
                                X