No announcement yet.

Would you do away with ss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be phased out over the years, and your SS contributions now get redirected a 401k of sorts. When the money is privatized, more Americans will be better off.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      Well its going to be pretty tough on people like you when it stops. You better hope thats not before youre dead.

Also the old people crying about it if the money stops... see im a bit of a hater when it comes to that kind of thing and it makes me not even care when I hear that type of stuff. Makes me want to see them suffer, in a way. After all why is it all the young peoples responsibility to pay for irresponsible fucks? Oh but we wont be getting paid like we paid for them. Sorry bout that.

Not that i even want it. I dont. The whole idea seems shady and just goes against pretty much everything i believe in. I dont want their scumbag commie money
      That's the problem with a pyramid scheme. Sooner or later, someone get's stuck with the bill. I've paid in to it for 35 years and I probably won't get any money back, yet I don't consider the people who would like to get paid back as "irresponsible fucks". They paid in all of their lives with the agreement that it would be a nest egg (however small) for them when they retired. It's not a freebie for them.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
        Would convert SS into a federal savings account that acts like an IRA, that starts at birth. When ever a person needs Federal assistance (housing, food, medical, school) then money can be withdrawn and in some cases borrowed against in a time of need. bankruptcy does not wipe the debt, and if a person owes too much they get to visit the poor house and work it off.

would also institute one year of service with either the military, or job works (out of state infrastructure). A majority of the pay from this would go to the savings account.
        Before they begin charging you to borrow money that you've already earned, I rather them just quit the program completely, cold turkey. I don't want to continue paying in, only to have some other form of moocher take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          I like Andrew Wilkow's idea. If you're 45 and over, you get your payout as normal. 45 and under, you get tax credits to recoup what you paid in and nothing more is taken out.
          x2

Comment

Real life scenario- My dad whom was always invested and had a nice nest egg has been drained by his wife (my step mom) who funded Nigeria. She was scammed. He develops dementia and needs assisted living/memory care. That cost is 4k a month. The government does not assist an anything like that only a basic nursing home (I don't expect them to) but with only $1200 monthly SS, I have a significant shortfall.

He worked his entire life, had his own business, paid his taxes and all in the promise that he would get back some of what he put in. For that vast majority of older 'american's' that is all they have. These are the people that worked their asses off and made this country what it is.

Now moving forward you would be a fool to believe or rely on that as your retirement
            Last edited by 95DRGT; 09-15-2014, 03:39 PM. Reason: next>nest

Comment

I'm not counting on SS one bit. If it's still around in 40 years when I retire it'll just be icing on the cake.

Comment

Id cut my losses with what I've paid in for the past ten years. If it were a step in the right direction.

Comment

TIL There are some old people on this site.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                    TIL There are some old people on this site.
                    Yep, there is!
                    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      It will go away because it is going to destroy the purchasing power of the dollar. I mean only in a relative sense, the value will be deflated to a more sustainable amount. The old people will keep getting their $2,000 check every month because they cry like babies if someone mentions it might stop. But that $2,000 isn't going to buy much before long.
                      What is ironic about that is that the government, much like small town churches, cater to the elderly while shitting on their future. At some point the arguments will transition to "why have you been fucking me while paying dinosaurs?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        Well its going to be pretty tough on people like you when it stops. You better hope thats not before youre dead.

Also the old people crying about it if the money stops... see im a bit of a hater when it comes to that kind of thing and it makes me not even care when I hear that type of stuff. Makes me want to see them suffer, in a way. After all why is it all the young peoples responsibility to pay for irresponsible fucks? Oh but we wont be getting paid like we paid for them. Sorry bout that.
                        Wow. That is quite a hardline stance you have on the subject.

I would hate to hear that your retirement plans crashed and burned. It has been known to happen, even with good plans and lots of money.

Because that next day you will be in line to become another "irresponsible" SS mooching "fuck" and you'd have to listen to some scumbag tell you that life is tough, they don't like paying for it, and you should suffer.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

I would hate to hear that your retirement plans crashed and burned. It has been known to happen, even with good plans and lots of money.

Because that next day you will be in line to become another "irresponsible" SS mooching "fuck" and you'd have to listen to some scumbag tell you that life is tough, they don't like paying for it, and you should suffer.
                          Justin is an idiot, always has been. This is no different.

That said, end it.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

This is true. Some people need it. You would have to slowly transition it to a defined contribution type of program.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                              Yeah im in favor of all most all entitlements and s like this going away.
                              Is it really an entitlement if the average person is only getting back between 1.5 and 3 times what they contributed over 45 years?
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Justin is an idiot, always has been. This is no different.

i guess you calling me an idiot but ive told you before my name is josh ive met and talked to several people on this forum already. Who the fuck is justing youre so obsessed with? Is that your ex? You never add anything anyway i think ill just put you on ignore. im sure youll reply but i wont be reading it. So have fun with that thought

You must be old. Yea generally people take a hardline stance on things that basically have the potential to crush their freedoms. And you just called most of the people in this thread scumbags. Good job
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X