Federal 5.56mm for $180/500 rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
    i was just gonna stock up on cheap shit but if it will go through car doors.....

i might need some of that

It was originally designed for use in the SAW and had a design requirement to penetrate a Soviet steel helmet at 600 meters. Hence the small steel rod in the ammo. It won't penetrate enough to classify it as AP or you wouldn't be able to buy it easily. You'll get better barrier penetration out of it but it's still gonna be a bitch shooting though a car. I've shot though a few cars and they have a tendency to do weird things to the trajectory of any bullet.

IMO we went to it as the standard round for everything to simplify the supply chain not because it was a necessarily better round than the M193.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
      I didn't say it was junk ammo most folks seem to consider it so though.

Works fine in mine. IMO you have a problem with your rifle if it won't run steel cased ammo. It's pretty much all I stock anymore is the stuff I linked.
      For some it's not just whether it will fire reliably with it. Some people don't like corrosive powder, inability to reload, decreased accuracy with a steel case that doesn't expand in the chamber, gumming shit up with varnish, and being hard on extractors.
      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

You guys should reload... you can load 1000 M855 penetrator rounds for $127.50. Thats $63.75 for 500 - or about 3 times cheaper than retail. Just saying.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          You guys should reload... you can load 1000 M855 penetrator rounds for $127.50. Thats $63.75 for 500 - or about 3 times cheaper than retail. Just saying.
          Do you sell in bulk?

Comment

CJ I reloaded for about 5 years. After I figured in how much time I was spending reloading into the overall price it was cheaper to buy comm. ammo

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
            For some it's not just whether it will fire reliably with it. Some people don't like corrosive powder, inability to reload, decreased accuracy with a steel case that doesn't expand in the chamber, gumming shit up with varnish, and being hard on extractors.
            Extractors are cheap and easy to replace, it really doesn't gum shit up with varnish if you are talking about the lacquer coating it doesn't melt off like some people say it does. You do get primer sealant though. If you are shooting steel cased ammo with corossive powder that's some old surplus stuff. Some of them you can reload. I've personally reloaded .223 polymer wolf and .45acp polymer wolf casings. I'll give you decreased accuracy the QC over there as far as velocity variations and what not isn't like here in the states.

Sent from my iPhone
            Last edited by Downs; 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM.
            2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

CJ I reloaded for about 5 years. After I figured in how much time I was spending reloading into the overall price it was cheaper to buy comm. ammo

Sent from my iPhone
              You have to have the right equipment. I don't think an hour of my time is worth a couple hundred bucks.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I figured up over all time cleaning trimming if necessary setup pack up ect. IIRC all time included i was able to make a few hundred rounds an hour.

If everything was cleaned and ready to reload and I could just walk in and knock out close to 1k rounds an hour but that wasn't including time to do all the other stuff. Not to mention it was all repetitive work which I get bored with quickly lol so some of the reason of walking away was cause of my personality. Not to mention it conflicted with all the other stuff I do time wise.

Sent from my iPhone
                2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I figured up over all time cleaning trimming if necessary setup pack up ect. IIRC all time included i was able to make a few hundred rounds an hour.

If everything was cleaned and ready to reload and I could just walk in and knock out close to 1k rounds an hour but that wasn't including time to do all the other stuff. Not to mention it was all repetitive work which I get bored with quickly lol so some of the reason of walking away was cause of my personality. Not to mention it conflicted with all the other stuff I do time wise.

Sent from my iPhone
                  I can do about 1,500 223 rounds an hour. You just need the right equipment. I enjoy reloading as much as shooting.

Comment

Yeah I never did I always considered it a chore but one that helped me save money if not time.

Sent from my iPhone
                    2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The federal black box 223 at wally world works out to 174 + tax for 500.

Comment

Some WalMarts carry M855 in ammo cans IIRC

Sent from my iPhone
                        2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                          Do you sell in bulk?
                          Group buy!!
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                            Where? I would reload them.....If I could find them

Never mind.... I found some.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!
                            Last edited by tazz007; 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X