Where to start! 300 ZX Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start! 300 ZX Turbo

I am more of a 240z guy butttttt I am sucker for a good deal. Supposedly it was running but getting hot when parked umpteen years ago. I am going to clean it up and really look it over to decide if it will be a fun little keeper, or just to sell it because it is too much work for a car I am not really in love with. Honestly I have never worked on one of these so I kind of like a challenge. Plus mom has a guy that told her he would paint it for free. Maybe a cheap little fun car. I do like it has manual gauges and not the digital dash. I figured one of you guys know the in and outs of this year. Fairly straight though and the wheels are in good shape.

Whos your Daddy?

you couldnt melt one of those an pour it on me.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My ex has one (1987) thats way cleaner that she may sell, been siting for ten years, but in very good shape, bad transmission though.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        I am more of a 240z guy butttttt I am sucker for a good deal. Supposedly it was running but getting hot when parked umpteen years ago. I am going to clean it up and really look it over to decide if it will be a fun little keeper, or just to sell it because it is too much work for a car I am not really in love with. Honestly I have never worked on one of these so I kind of like a challenge. Plus mom has a guy that told her he would paint it for free. Maybe a cheap little fun car. I do like it has manual gauges and not the digital dash. I figured one of you guys know the in and outs of this year. Fairly straight though and the wheels are in good shape.

Sell that and buy my 240. It runs!

Comment

Burn it.

Comment

Actually I just like a car in my driveway at all times! Just clean it up for a nice stage prop. Driveway art!
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've known 3 people that had those....they are a pain in the ass. More wiring than an Airbus A380, they overheat, they rattle, the electronic suspension is junk, they only make 200hp (they aren't that fast) although you CAN pull some decent power out of that motor if you wanna spend the money. They were famous for engine fires because of fuel leaks..parts are expensive and getting hard to find. I had someone offer to give me one in better shape for FREE 10 years ago (engine fire) and I turned it down. I would run from that car Jason. Not walk...RUN.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                I've known 3 people that had those....they are a pain in the ass. More wiring than an Airbus A380, they overheat, they rattle, the electronic suspension is junk, they only make 200hp (they aren't that fast) although you CAN pull some decent power out of that motor if you wanna spend the money. They were famous for engine fires because of fuel leaks..parts are expensive and getting hard to find. I had someone offer to give me one in better shape for FREE 10 years ago (engine fire) and I turned it down. I would run from that car Jason. Not walk...RUN.
                It was free. But seriously I do like a car in the driveway. I don't mind cleaning it up a bit.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  It was free. But seriously I do like a car in the driveway. I don't mind cleaning it up a bit.
                  Free is better than having to pay. I guess at least the tires hold air
                  I wish you luck on that project. If you do try to run it pay close attention to the fuel injectors for leaks or shorted wiring.

Comment

I would start by pushing it into an intersection so the cops will tow it and save you the towing fee.

Comment

I would swap an LS into it and get on street outlaws.

Comment

many years back when I was a nissan tech, I had the unfortunate luck of drawing one very similar to that one, been sitting in a shed, grandpa bought it new and gave it to the grandson. Dad of the grandson brought it to the dealership to have us try to figure out why it had a mess of an electrical system. We did our best to get the guy to take it somewhere else, but he was adamant about having factory trained nissan techs work on it. No matter that none of use had ever worked on one of them, nor had any training on that model.

We found rat chewed wiring EVERYWHERE. The only option we could do (because none of use were willing to take the entire harness apart and patch the wiring) was to do a new harness, and there was, unfortunately, one available. He jumped on it. Another tech helped, and we cussed that car for two days. I think his bill was north of 3k, and the harness was actually pretty cheap.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          If you do try to run it pay close attention to the fuel injectors for leaks or shorted wiring.
                          a friend in college had his car burn up due to this.

sidenote: after the fire it still looked nicer than this one.

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                            a friend in college had his car burn up due to this.

sidenote: after the fire it still looked nicer than this one.

god bless.
                            Call the dealer with the VIN; there is still an open recall for the injectors and fuel lines.

I had one of these and threw the entire HKS catalog at it and it was still slow but fast for it's era I guess.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Of course SVO is JDM as fuck!

Comment

Working...
                              X