The Colt Python - by Chuck Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Colt Python - by Chuck Hawks

The Colt Python was officially introduced in 1955 as Colt's top-of the-line revolver. It was Originally intended to be a large frame, double action (DA), .38 Special target revolver, but at the last minute the chambering was changed to .357 Magnum. This fortuitous decision resulted in what is arguably the best all-around handgun in the world. Almost immediately the Python gained a reputation as the premium American revolver.

It is built on a .41 caliber size frame for extra durability. The action is fitted and hand-honed in the Colt Custom Shop to insure superior fit, smoothness, and a good trigger pull.

The Python has many special features. Like all Colt revolvers, the cylinder rotates into the frame for an extremely tight lock-up. The Python barrel has a ventilated rib on top and a full length underlug. Inside, Python barrels are bored with a very slight, full length, taper toward the muzzle for superior accuracy.

All Pythons come with excellent adjustable sights. The front sight is pinned to the full-length ramp atop the ventilated rib so that it can be changed (at the factory or by a gunsmith) if desired. The rear sight is an Accro target sight. These sights are durable and very accurate.

The full-length lug beneath the barrel was originally hollowed-out. Colt soon began leaving the underlug solid.

Even the finish on the Python is superior. Colt's Royal Blue is the ultimate polished blue finish for steel guns. No other blued production revolver can compare to the beauty of Colt's Royal Blue Python.

For many years the apex in beauty and protection was the bright nickel finish. This was a very smooth, very durable, nickel plating. The nickel finish was eventually retired after Colt perfected the mirror polished Ultimate stainless steel Python.

Colt offers two finishes for stainless steel Pythons, a conventional "brushed" finish, or the mirror-like Ultimate finish. The Ultimate is a stainless steel Python polished to degree similar to a Royal Blue gun.

Pythons have been produced with four standard barrel lengths, 2.5 inches, 4 inches, 6 inches, and 8 inches. At the 1998 SHOT Show I was told by one of the Colt factory reps that all Python revolvers would henceforth be produced entirely in the Custom Shop. In 2005 the Python was discontinued altogether.

The 2.5-inch barrel is the easiest to conceal. the 4-inch barrel is probably the optimum length for uniformed personnel to carry on duty, and also makes a very fine civilian self-defense weapon. The 6 inch barrel lets hot .357 loads achieve higher velocity, and is the most popular barrel length. A 6-inch Python is the ultimate all-around handgun, useful for target shooting, plinking, hunting, and self-defense.

The hunter's special is the 8-inch barrel. Scope mounts are available for mounting optical sights on all Pythons.

The accuracy of the Python revolver is legendary. I have owned Pythons with 4 inch, 6 inch, and 8 inch barrels, and all have been, literally, more accurate than I can shoot. Custom Shop Pythons come with targets fired on the Colt range. The target that came with my 4" Ultimate Python was a 3/4-inch, 6 shot group fired by hand at 25 yards, from a rest, with factory loads.

Subjectively, this finest of all DA revolvers is a "soft" shooter. By which I mean that most shooters feel that the Python kicks less than other DA magnum revolvers of comparable weight. I use the genuine Colt/Pachmayr target style rubber grips on all of my Pythons, which also helps to minimize the effect of recoil.

The style and features of the Python have been extensively copied by other gun makers, particularly the frame size and the full-length barrel underlug. For example, an "L" frame S&W will fit perfectly in a holster designed for a Python. However, no one has succeeded in copying all of the features of the Python.
    I always liked this summary as it covers some little known intricacies of the Python.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Rick Grimes wuz here.
    03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
      Rick Grimes wuz here.
      lol, true dat.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I will own a python someday, mark my words.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          I've been looking for about a year now and have yet to see one that's in great condition that isn't asking top dollar.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

My buddy just got a Anaconda and is also looking for a Python

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              That is funny coming from a guy who is running away to a country where you can't own most firearms.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
              X