Obama to announce sick time is a "right"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama to announce sick time is a "right"

So on Thursday, President Obama will call on Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, which would allow millions of working Americans to earn up to seven days a year of paid sick time — and call on states and cities to pass similar laws. The President will outline a new plan to help states create paid leave programs, and provide new funding through the Department of Labor for feasibility studies that will help other states and municipalities figure out the best way to implement programs of their own. And the President will sign a Presidential Memorandum that will ensure federal employees have access to at least 6 weeks of paid sick leave when a new child arrives and propose that Congress offer 6 weeks of paid administrative leave as well.
    Anyone who has ever faced the challenge of raising or supporting a family, while holding down a job, has faced tough choices along the way, and likely felt stretched between the financial and personal needs of their family. How many working parents know that sinking feeling from sending their child

The ACA wasn't enough, now to put ANOTHER burden on employers.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Won't happen as he's not getting money to 'help.'

Edit: Wait, 6 weeks for federal employees? Does this mean soldiers get 6 weeks off now instead of 30 days as well as another 6 weeks of paid admin leave?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Federal employees, just like employees of other public sector and private sector employers that offer sick leave benefits, have access to extended paid sick leave only if they have already accrued it or have provisions within their organization to have it advanced. The proposal for 6 weeks of paid administrative leave, if actually factual, will never pass Congress.

Comment

With the Republican controlled House and Senate, I don't think these will pass.

But, I can't help but think with the past two initiatives, free college and paid sick time, that Obama and company is trying to set up the Republicans as a bunch of "against the working man bastards" when they vote these down.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
          With the Republican controlled House and Senate, I don't think these will pass.

But, I can't help but think with the past two initiatives, free college and paid sick time, that Obama and company is trying to set up the Republicans as a bunch of "against the working man bastards" when they vote these down.
          You mean the same tactic that republicans are using? Putting some fucked up stuff in a bill that's originally about something completely different so they can use it as a talking point?

Comment

And this is one week after he also said he wants to look at having the govt pay for 2 yrs of community college for everyone who wants it?

Does he have enough ink in his printer to handle all that? I would ask who's going to pay for it, but we all know the answer.

Comment

Man, Im gonna have to put in some serious overtime to pay for all these new program. We all better start going to bed early to get some rest, cause we're gonna need it.

Comment

having paid sick days is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                  having paid sick days is nice.
                  The problem is people use them like vacation days the call in when they are not sick or just want a long weekend. Shit pisses me off. Get your ass to work if you are not contagions. If you are truly sick then call in but don't use it as a free day.
                  Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                    The problem is people use them like vacation days the call in when they are not sick or just want a long weekend. Shit pisses me off. Get your ass to work if you are not contagions. If you are truly sick then call in but don't use it as a free day.
                    If my employer offered to " buy " my sick days I wouldn't take them. But, since it's part of my benefits package I will continue to use them.

Comment

He has a pen, he doesn't need congress.

Comment

The USA is one of the only major countries that doesn't mandate a number of days off in a year.

Take Australia for example, they require 4 weeks of paid vacation time every year, in addition to that, they get 10 paid sick/personal days that carry over from year to year if not used. Not to mention the paid maternity/paternity leave.

Comment

"Here comes Santa Clause, Here comes Santa Clause, right down Santa Clause Lane"

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                            think of them using it as mental health days.

Comment

The type of paid time off and sick days other countries gets fucking sickens me when we compare it to what our slave drivers "give" us.

I'm all for more sick time/pto.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X