I have a confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a confession

I have a confession I dont understand the technical capabilities of aftermarket engine parts. I understand the basics and the concepts of the ICE but when it comes to trying to figure out what I need I just can't wrap my head around it. Which sucks because I'm looking to add some hp/tq (heads/cam/exhaust) to the hawk and when I try to talk with anybody about what to order I seem to get nowhere.

Sorry for venting my frustration, but if anybody has pointers please feel free to chime in

the concepts of the ICE???

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
      the concepts of the ICE???
      Internal Combustion Engine
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
        I have a confession I dont understand the technical capabilities of aftermarket engine parts. I understand the basics and the concepts of the ICE but when it comes to trying to figure out what I need I just can't wrap my head around it. Which sucks because I'm looking to add some hp/tq (heads/cam/exhaust) to the hawk and when I try to talk with anybody about what to order I seem to get nowhere.

Sorry for venting my frustration, but if anybody has pointers please feel free to chime in
        First ID where you are now and then ID where you want to be and figure how much you are willing to spend. My suggestion is to buy the best heads that can be found for your application and swap the cam at the same time. Everything else is pretty much ancillary. PM me if you need actual part numbers.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
          First ID where you are now and then ID where you want to be and figure how much you are willing to spend. My suggestion is to buy the best heads that can be found for your application and swap the cam at the same time. Everything else is pretty much ancillary. PM me if you need actual part numbers.
          He's literally saying he doesn't know how to pick the best.

It's like someone said "how do i improve my math grades"

And you answered with "my biggest suggestion is to get your grades up".

Comment

Research. Set a goal and find what other people have done to get similar results. Research the parts you are interested in and what other people with similar cars and goals have used.

Something to keep in mind is that an ICE is just a glorified air pump. It sucks the air in, wizardry happens, and it pushes the air out. Limiting restrictions helps the pump pull in or push out more air which means more power.

That being said, the exhaust is typically the best place to start. Just about any long tube header and a full exhaust is worth like 30hp on a ls1 f-body.
            1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              He's literally saying he doesn't know how to pick the best.

It's like someone said "how do i improve my math grades"

And you answered with "my biggest suggestion is to get your grades up".
              I get what SVO is saying, it's a legit answer though it doesn't answer a specific question. It's more of an advice. You need to have a goal or dollar amount in mind when you start the project. From there it's easier to guide the project in the right direction and begin to do research. The LS design has been around long enough now to find hp numbers for all types of setups from N/A to boosted to nitrous, etc.

The challenge is finding a knowledgeable person that is willing to give you their time and advice while not trying to sell you their product. Thompson Motorsports or Quality Motorsports, etc have done enough builds to surely advise you in what parts for the goals you'll have.

You can start with the bolts ons and supporting mods first and then add the bigger ticket items along the way. As stated above, Headers and full exhaust are a good start, you'll want headers with primaries that will support the flow needed for the HP you want to attain, buy once and be done. Intake manifolds are the same way, however if you get a large runner sized and port intake that mates to a smaller port head (until you do the head swap) you could encounter some turbulence and driveability issues unless you acquire all your parts together and then do the install all at 1 time.

It's tough doing the research part, their are so many places on the net to look for info and so much trash mixed in with good info that it can be hard to decipher.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                Research. Set a goal and find what other people have done to get similar results. Research the parts you are interested in and what other people with similar cars and goals have used.

Something to keep in mind is that an ICE is just a glorified air pump. It sucks the air in, wizardry happens, and it pushes the air out. Limiting restrictions helps the pump pull in or push out more air which means more power.

That being said, the exhaust is typically the best place to start. Just about any long tube header and a full exhaust is worth like 30hp on a ls1 f-body.
                Heads are the best bang for the buck. Long tubes and a full exhaust cost just about 500 what the heads will cost while only giving you one third of the power improvements.

Comment

Get a set of AFR heads and a compcams 274 cam and you will not know what hit you.

Comment

Id agree with svo. AFR is the way to go on the hawks. I had those guys pull me pretty hard when I had my 93z28 with a LT1 383 to their bone stock AFR and cammed ls1s. Get a stall if you're sporting the 4L60E should be good for mid to high 12s in the 1/4.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                      The challenge is finding a knowledgeable person that is willing to give you their time and advice while not trying to sell you their product. Thompson Motorsports or Quality Motorsports, etc have done enough builds to surely advise you in what parts for the goals you'll have.
                      This is kind of where I'm at I've emailed 2 vendors (both sponsors on other ls forums) and got no response. I don't think I'm asking for pie in the sky info just a reasonable setup and I know it's going to cost. And I dont want be the guy walks in says I need 3 bottles of NOS

It's tough doing the research part, their are so many places on the net to look for info and so much trash mixed in with good info that it can be hard to decipher.
                      Thats what frustrates me is that the info I'm looking at just seems to go from basic to over my head. That and finding outdated information and references to dead vendors/sites. I've tried reading ls1tech's stickies and almost all of them haven't been updated for 10years.

Comment

just be careful when picking a combo if you are just going by dyno numbers from forum members. numbers get inflated to sell their shop's package. pick a head and cam package that is consistent on several dynos.

also. keep this in mind. you may go down the rabbit hole. you may think some extra power is great. then want more. and then more. like said. start with a budget and a goal.

i mean if you are thinking a six bolt iron block and a f1x is on the menu, just go that direction now.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                          Heads are the best bang for the buck. Long tubes and a full exhaust cost just about 500 what the heads will cost while only giving you one third of the power improvements.
                          I agree with your previous statement about buying the best heads you can, but better heads with stock manifolds and exhaust leaves a lot on the table.

As someone else mentioned you start with the exhaust knowing you'll grow the rest of the combo to take full advantage of it. Slapping heads on an otherwise stock setup is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                            This is kind of where I'm at I've emailed 2 vendors (both sponsors on other ls forums) and got no response. I don't think I'm asking for pie in the sky info just a reasonable setup and I know it's going to cost. And I dont want be the guy walks in says I need 3 bottles of NOS

Thats what frustrates me is that the info I'm looking at just seems to go from basic to over my head. That and finding outdated information and references to dead vendors/sites. I've tried reading ls1tech's stickies and almost all of them haven't been updated for 10years.
                            You have an audience here with people that have experience. Why don't you elaborate on what your goals and budget and someone here will give you some specifics and advice.

Comment

Shoot Ed Curtis at flow tech inductions an email. http://www.flowtechinduction.com
                              He sells everything and his prices are low. He cleans up the ports on new heads and intakes before sending them out. He specializes in custom cams.

Comment

Working...
                              X